Notifications
Clear all

Recruitment 2023

Page 2 / 8
(@frankg)
Noble Member

It’s heartening to know that our resident experts knew all along that Finnigan was unsuitable to be coach. Funny how these comments were not prevalent when we won our first four games.

I guess their equivalents at Bradford had similar views on Kear’s ability to be a coach during their losing streak. I seem to recollect that our experts were not exactly over-joyed when we brought in Kear. I recollect him being described as a “coffin-chaser” by one of our experts.

Funny old world. As it turned out, Finnigan failed to turn things around after a run of disastrous results and was quite rightly sacked. Kear was sacked by Bradford for the same reason, but has managed to turn things around at Widnes. His experience and enthusiasm for the game has clearly had a great impact on the players. Long may it continue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2022 12:35 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

There will be a limit regarding just how much cash is available to strengthen the squad. That said a playing as a 'team', which is what we have atm is the option to signing a couple of 'better' players.

However, one injury to a key star can snooker any side if he was the 'Sammut' in your calculations, whereas  the more integrated squad can cover well, as we have had to do even recently.

From all the suggested incomers there seems to be only one weighty prop, plus Grady, over 16 stone. The plus is that we have a very mobile pack and that, used properly, can be a benefit. Doro's chase last Sunday for instance!!

Regarding JK's Bradford days, he has twice openly commented on the lack of 'pique' amongst our squad, players accepting that they are not selected. This, to me at least, suggests that there are unco-operative personalities T Bradford!

This post was modified 2 years ago by sandgroper
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2022 12:59 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

If the podcast is correct, then we will have Amor, Walker, Farnworth, Ward and Johnson all as props contracted for next year. Would like to see Doro kept if possible. 

Need a couple of 3/4s IMO if we are really to challenge in the Top 6.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2022 3:00 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

@cj91 

Agreed re Doro, but Powell might decide otherwise! Hope I am wrong but I don't see Amor as an experienced Farnworth, maybe good as a pack organiser etc, but we'll see. I would keep a lot of what we have if possible strengthening the depth of the squad.

Certainly a stand-off option as Danny C gets older. Matty Smith looks keen tbh and enjoying his games and encouraging the younger lads.

What we don't know yet is what our opposition will be doing! How many overseas stars will they be able to take on, but there don't seem to be many Degsy Beaumonts about thankfully.

If Fev/Newcastle go that way it could make it a hard season.

We still have the Levy enigma to see before the end of season maybe!!!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2022 3:34 pm
(@delta-machine)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @frankg

It’s heartening to know that our resident experts knew all along that Finnigan was unsuitable to be coach. Funny how these comments were not prevalent when we won our first four games.

I guess their equivalents at Bradford had similar views on Kear’s ability to be a coach during their losing streak. I seem to recollect that our experts were not exactly over-joyed when we brought in Kear. I recollect him being described as a “coffin-chaser” by one of our experts.

Funny old world. As it turned out, Finnigan failed to turn things around after a run of disastrous results and was quite rightly sacked. Kear was sacked by Bradford for the same reason, but has managed to turn things around at Widnes. His experience and enthusiasm for the game has clearly had a great impact on the players. Long may it continue.

Think it was coffin Dodger wasn't it? Frankie my old treacle 😜

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2022 3:35 pm
(@cuerdley-viking)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @frankg

“Coffin Chaser”😂😂😂 nice one Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2022 4:26 pm
(@torn-sock-1)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @gpo1971

You say the players were never that bad but the consensus on here 2 months ago was that we needed to get rid of most of this season's players. It's amazing what a coaching change can do. I'm not having a go, just saying that the landscape is much changed now.

Surely you're not suggesting people on this board are fickle when it comes to Widnes? 🤣

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2022 9:55 am
(@d-day)
Estimable Member

Lets not get carried away, apart from Batley we have only beat teams that are around or below us in the division.  We struggled at home vs Dewsbury,London and Newcastle when quite easily results could have gone either way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2022 4:05 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

@d-day 

The rumoured signings, if true, seem to indicate a stiffening of our front row in a typical JK manner. Sides with this sort of pack structure, not stars but sound and physically strong have been our down fall on many occasions.

We are not in the Beaumont position where minor NRL players are an option. JK knows the league that we are in and knows the players. Becoming a play-off club, with no surprise losses, has got to be our aim. It also requires depth in the squad so that a couple of injuries don't break us.

We may have to play dour, no mistakes, games but we have a back division that has scored against better sides and that is a plus. 

The big unknown is just what the RFL and its new marketing structure will demand. We can only make sure that we are not ignored and that we are in the top six mix, hopefully on top of it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2022 8:33 am
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @sandgroper

@cj91 

Agreed re Doro, but Powell might decide otherwise! Hope I am wrong but I don't see Amor as an experienced Farnworth, maybe good as a pack organiser etc, but we'll see. I would keep a lot of what we have if possible strengthening the depth of the squad.

Certainly a stand-off option as Danny C gets older. Matty Smith looks keen tbh and enjoying his games and encouraging the younger lads.

What we don't know yet is what our opposition will be doing! How many overseas stars will they be able to take on, but there don't seem to be many Degsy Beaumonts about thankfully.

If Fev/Newcastle go that way it could make it a hard season.

We still have the Levy enigma to see before the end of season maybe!!!! 

Eribe is done at Warrington - 100%.  He's also out of contract at the end of the year so I would imagine it is down to what offers he gets.  He's certainly one I'd keep as he works extremely hard and is only a young lad - he'll continue to improve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2022 9:51 am
(@wirralviking)
Estimable Member

@viking-man . Would be good if we could get Doro signed up, he's keen and enthusiastic, and clearly no slouch, after Sunday's chase down. As you say it depends on who offers what! I am assuming the big ex Bradford prop, whose name I wont attempt, will just disappear after we paid for his season long rehab! Some talk about him getting on the pitch before the season's end, but not too may games to go!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2022 10:20 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

@viking-man 

Maybe JK can convince him to stay on with us. If he goes elsewhere in SL he will probably be loaned out all over the shop. At least at the Vikings he is appreciated!

Without knowing the contract details its hard to judge but many 'hopefuls' may be on full time contracts but earn less that a part timer with two incomes!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2022 10:23 am
(@griffin1)
Estimable Member

I think Doro would be a good signing and if J K can direft his game into a more direct and disciplined style without losing his obvious enthusiasm and love of the game, he could go a long way in the sport.

I do feel though that we either need to make a few more changes in the pack, or drill defence , defence and defence coupled with strength and commitment into some of our current players. During the bash fixture against Barrow, some of our forwards were out muscled by players like Sammut and Miloudi .

The difference in our performances in the last few games has been like night and day and with a little pruning and some new additions, we could build into a squad with a genuine chance of making an impact on the division over the next season or two.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2022 3:35 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

I heard somewhere that the academy is something that the restructuring is looking at so possibly we’ll see that return in a couple of years 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2022 9:03 pm
(@delta-machine)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @pascal

Well Kear has done a fantastic job, even with players that was very poor under Finnigan. The players were never that bad, and I feel they are playing to be included in the squad for 2023. I would be looking at 80% roughly to be kept, and more quality added with a bigger squad to compete in the top 3. One thing in Kear I trust and love his passion. 🥖🥖🥖👏👍 

You took kear to pinkies yet my mad passionate Frenchman 😁😅🤣

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 10:25 am
Page 2 / 8
Share: