Notifications
Clear all

Recruitment 2023

Page 3 / 8
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

@mckeeverviking 

Ideally it has to be an aim.

The number of Widnes lads in SL is well known but without a full time team option at the end of their academy contract it forces them to look elsewhere and takes a lot of cash away from our first team.

A solid pack will make our next season more likely to be progressive. 

Our young backs have shown some great adaptability when injuries have hit us and that shouldn't be ignored.

Levy is a hard one to judge. If he plays and looks good a decision will be forced on us to judge just how good and how injury free is he likely to be! Maybe a match by match deal? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 11:18 am
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

@sandgroper yes I think an academy sets the club up for progress as a club rather than just a part time team in champ

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 12:30 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

I see Newcastle are reverting to PT for next year.

Do we think anyone from their squad could come our way?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 1:22 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member

@cj91 

I can name a couple of props I'd rather not have....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 2:08 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member
Posted by: @sunny

@cj91 

I can name a couple of props I'd rather not have....

Seconded!!!

Looking through their squad they have a few of our ex-players: the Twins, Johnson, Moran: out of them I would only look at Johnson. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 2:17 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Happily have Johnson back. In general I wouldn’t be looking at signing many players from a team that is going to finish quite near the bottom despite having full-time status against mainly part-time sides.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 9:20 pm
(@pascal)
Prominent Member

To be honest not many I would want from Newcastle and a reason below us in the table. Johnson the winger is half decent. 🥖🥖🥖 Pascal wants Passion players for Widnes 🥖🥖

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/08/2022 10:01 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

@pascal 

Interesting that Johnson, with us for a year, left for FT Newcastle, now ?

While Cross had a good year with a very average Widnes tbh and is now Salford's hottest back!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2022 12:16 pm
(@cumbria-viking)
Reputable Member

Wouldn't entertain any of the ex widnes boys at Newcastle...didnt exactly pull up trees with us n most certainly haven't since ...two platers there I'd deffo look at are josh Woods..not likely coz of gilmore supposedly imminent....and brad day whose a very good back row/loose when hes actually fit.....other than that I'd stay away 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2022 12:38 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Brad Walker to sign for Keighley.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2022 2:18 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Keighley will have a go next year, could be another Barrow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2022 3:14 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @cj91

I see Newcastle are reverting to PT for next year.

Do we think anyone from their squad could come our way?

Dennis Betts didn’t get the best out of our squad whilst he was here. He’s probably achieved the same result at Newcastle, hence the move back to PT.

I’m sure they have players there who would improve and perform much better in a team coached by JK.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2022 3:32 pm
(@pascal)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @sandgroper

@pascal 

Interesting that Johnson, with us for a year, left for FT Newcastle, now ?

While Cross had a good year with a very average Widnes tbh and is now Salford's hottest back!!

Always thought a top coach helps and about time we got one. Had some dreadful coaches over the years. 🥖👍

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/08/2022 4:38 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

@sinbad I would have liked him to come back

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2022 11:39 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member
Posted by: @mt

Happily have Johnson back. In general I wouldn’t be looking at signing many players from a team that is going to finish quite near the bottom despite having full-time status against mainly part-time sides.

Johnson has speed, something several posters have said our backs don't have.

Didn't he leave us because he wanted to play full time rugby, not due to a fall out with us.

I also wouldn't mind him back, maybe instead of trying to sign Dixon which I suggested elsewhere.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2022 11:51 pm
Page 3 / 8
Share: