Notifications
Clear all

2021 Squad

Page 7 / 18
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Also interesting how the “academy experiment” is been stamped out by Sheens. We produced quantity over quality unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2020 8:03 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Is that official? This season is scrapped but the whole operation?

I can understand some trimming but it would be sad to see it go altogether.

It is hard to see what benefits the club have enjoyed in the shape of star players atm. Maybe we need to be more hardnosed and discard those who we don't think will make it and buy from the others what we need.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2020 9:34 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Would have though Tyrer will be the announcement tomorrow.

Hopefully some renewals and Cook type signings this week too!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2020 10:12 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Owens new contract.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2020 12:24 pm
(@rafe-wrench)
Trusted Member

Also interesting how the “academy experiment” is been stamped out by Sheens. We produced quantity over quality unfortunately.

Finney has put his shirt on the academy concept for many years now, which has produced some fine young men but (let's be honest) not too many world beaters. But who knows what discussions take place.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2020 12:54 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

The ironic thing is that Owens (debut 2011), Craven (debut 2010) and Grady (debut 2008) will be the main academy produced players in the team next year.

The best of the later generations have gone to SL. But at least we have contributed to the Player Pool.

Is it not the case that the absolute best young players will go Saints or Wigan anyway?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2020 1:12 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

And all have been disregarded by coaches looking elsewhere. Maybe the time spent away has been part of their development. Glad they're back now at any rate.

Just makes you wonder what a different coach would have done back in their youth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2020 1:17 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I don’t think you can discredit our academy, we have had a hand in the development of Richardson, Atkin, Myler, we have developed Whitley, Walker, Johnstone, Brand etc, I think that is a decent track record.

My main issue with the academy is the mentality. I look at Ryan Ince for instances, quick as lightning, a good size and decent finisher, he should have been bagging tries at SL club every week instead he was at Oldham? A lack of fight and desire. Eric Hughes, the Hulmes, the Bowdens, Mick George-all good players but they had that bite to them.

A lot of lads at our academy look to nice and too weak to be top players. Is it a club mentality flaw?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2020 6:41 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

I was trying to make a similar point Spike, maybe we were developing good characters rather than encouraging a bit of mongrel? That may come in later teens, those that haven't got the bite have to be let go. Saints seem to do this effectively.

It comes down to having a coach that can teach lads to be fiercely competitive rather than dirty homocidal maniacs.

Iirc Vinty would never shake hands with opponents before a game. His reason was ' I can't shake his hand just before spending eighty minutes trying knock his block off!'

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2020 9:00 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I was trying to make a similar point Spike, maybe we were developing good characters rather than encouraging a bit of mongrel? That may come in later teens, those that haven’t got the bite have to be let go. Saints seem to do this effectively. It comes down to having a coach that can teach lads to be fiercely competitive rather than dirty homocidal maniacs. Iirc Vinty would never shake hands with opponents before a game. His reason was ‘ I can’t shake his hand just before spending eighty minutes trying knock his block off!’

Absolutely, great point on Vinny, genetically opposition players are too closely linked these days, too much “friendship in the game”.

It is interesting that the three players who was in contrast to been soft are all in SL, JJ, Walker and Whitley.

I look at a player like Adam Lawton if he were at saints or Wigan he’d have been a phenomenal player, instead he was a victim of the clubs “easy environment”.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2020 9:16 pm
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

I would like to see Tomkins & Smith re-sign soon. I think they will be crucial to our development. I am a little fearful  the news that Tyrer, a goal kicker, is returning could mean Smith is leaving. I hope I am wrong & that both sign for us as we need an old experienced back like Tyrer to bring the likes of Spedding on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2020 9:55 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

I was trying to make a similar point Spike, maybe we were developing good characters rather than encouraging a bit of mongrel? That may come in later teens, those that haven’t got the bite have to be let go. Saints seem to do this effectively. It comes down to having a coach that can teach lads to be fiercely competitive rather than dirty homocidal maniacs. Iirc Vinty would never shake hands with opponents before a game. His reason was ‘ I can’t shake his hand just before spending eighty minutes trying knock his block off!’

Absolutely, great point on Vinny, genetically opposition players are too closely linked these days, too much “friendship in the game”. It is interesting that the three players who was in contrast to been soft are all in SL, JJ, Walker and Whitley.

I look at a player like Adam Lawton if he were at saints or Wigan he’d have been a phenomenal player, instead he was a victim of the clubs “easy environment”.

But perhaps that was the reason he wasn't at Saints/Wigan in the first place.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 8:29 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

He turned down offers from St Helens and Warrington.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 9:08 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

There  always seemed to be a reluctance grom Adam to really get involved. Brett Kenny was always criticised for the same attitude, but did give flashes of brilliance! Maybe he needed a coach who could re- program him?

Anyway up, we still need two or three props from somewhere, and some backrowers from this years squad or elsewhere. Is Terry O'Connor's lad still at Leeds? The other lad that they took should be ready for a run now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 9:55 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Dwyer the latest retention, good squad player.

On the points about academy players, the sad truth is that the best Widnesian players don't play for Widnes any more.

I would rather have an academy that not though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 10:31 am
Page 7 / 18
Share: