Notifications
Clear all

2021 Squad

Page 18 / 18
(@frankg)
Noble Member

I could imagine a lot of SL players who are no longer wanted by SL clubs and would usually drop down to the championship and go part time but instead they will sign for Ottawa. Ottawa been based in Lancashire will be detrimental to our recruitment chances.

I would imagine that they will be looking to sign a couple of SL/marquee players. The presence of Ottawa will be detrimental to the chances of those clubs (Newcastle, Barrow, Rochdale etc) hoping for promotion to the Championship in 2021, followed by NY in 2022. Similar issue for Championship teams seeking promotion on 2022 and 2023.

Are they meeting the travel and accommodation costs of teams, if they do have any games in Canada in 2021? If not, some League 1 clubs will struggle to afford costs. Maybe as a group, teams should make it clear that they are not prepared to travel to Canada/America for games, unless all their costs are met, including any loss of wages of players. In addition, teams should be given time to acclimatise and train before a game ie a minimum of 2/3 days and not expected to play a game within the week following their return. Also, Ottawa should not be given the advantage of playing their home games in blocks - they should have the same home and away fixtures as other teams. If Ottawa/TW cannot guarantee that they can meet their home games in Canada in 2021, they should not be allowed to play in the leagues and then review in 2022.

If SL are serious about this NA expansion, why go through this farce. Just fast track them to SL

You may spot that I am totally opposed to the daft NA expansion dream. I am still waiting for someone to tell me what value TWP have added to RL in the UK.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2020 5:53 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Immediate SL is how it should be imo. They have the resources to sign top quality players why must our competition be messed about just to give them game time?

I know it is just accepting that their haphazard NA project but how else can it be handled? Lack of promotion opportunity can wait, we have to test the SL management to make their project work. I can't see it working but they have to prove it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2020 7:11 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Immediate SL is how it should be imo. They have the resources to sign top quality players why must our competition be messed about just to give them game time? I know it is just accepting that their haphazard NA project but how else can it be handled? Lack of promotion opportunity can wait, we have to test the SL management to make their project work. I can’t see it working but they have to prove it.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your point but I don’t get this school of thought that expansion teams should immediate gain entry into Super League.
In essence, that is devaluing the championship and I always argue that if these owners really cared about developing rl in different country’s then why does it matter if it’s SL or not.

For instance, if the Canadians suddenly fall in love with the concept of RL, it wouldn’t matter if that team remains in the championship for five years or is in SL. Newcomers to the game wouldn’t be able to easily differentiate between the quality of championship and Super League, they’d just appreciate the opportunity to see the sport.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2020 7:54 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

The point is that Championship football with players like Teutele on million pound contracts are hardly looking to play in that league. Nor is SL looking for them to play in that league, they are needed in SL to make it international in status. Good for Sky negotiations for sure, particularly with Sky's  marketing in NA.

Then again how do we cope with away games in NA when our lads are PT, as are many in the Championship. Of course Ottawa may play out of Leigh while they are in the Championship which would again show the temporary nature of their situation.

If they were playing under the same set of rules the situation might be different, but they wont be, they will be TWP Mk 2.

If SL want go international fair enough, but does the rest of the game have to be disrupted to facilitate it? Teams loke the NA's can afford the very best players, eg SBW , top coaches and so on, so why can't they go straight into a 'new' SL and allow our domestic game to play in a realistic competition.

Of course all this presupposes that you accept the view that the international SL is what is planned

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2020 8:27 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Immediate SL is how it should be imo. They have the resources to sign top quality players why must our competition be messed about just to give them game time? I know it is just accepting that their haphazard NA project but how else can it be handled? Lack of promotion opportunity can wait, we have to test the SL management to make their project work. I can’t see it working but they have to prove it.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your point but I don’t get this school of thought that expansion teams should immediate gain entry into Super League. In essence, that is devaluing the championship and I always argue that if these owners really cared about developing rl in different country’s then why does it matter if it’s SL or not. For instance, if the Canadians suddenly fall in love with the concept of RL, it wouldn’t matter if that team remains in the championship for five years or is in SL. Newcomers to the game wouldn’t be able to easily differentiate between the quality of championship and Super League, they’d just appreciate the opportunity to see the sport.

I believe that TWP have no interest in playing in League 1 or the Championship, but are using them to get to SL. Do you really believe that TWP would have survived 2019 if they had not been promoted to SL. It is an investment and they are not handing out multi million pound contracts to play in the Championship.

Do you also believe that the RFL/SL want these teams playing  in League 1 and the Championship, when their dream is to have a big city international league.

I have no objection to an expansion of the RL game in North America, but the investment should be in the creation of a North American League. I am sure that the investment in TWP, Ottawa and NY could be used to attract a few more clubs to form a North American league. Part of the development could see clubs from the UK/Australasia playing games in North America and potentially a World Club Championship tournament, including say the top 2 teams from leagues North America, Australasia, UK, Europe and any other expansion areas.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2020 8:33 pm
 Owl
(@owl)
Trusted Member

the reserves How Ottawa’s squad for 2021 looks so far (squad numbers TBC): 1 Olly Ashall-Bott 2 Jack Johnson 3 Gavin Marguerite 4 5 6 Louis Jouffret 7 Tom Gilmore 8 Ted Chapelhow 9 Matty Fozard 10 Jay Chapelhow 11 Sam Wilde 12 Sam Luckley 13 Pat Moran Subs 14 Dec O’Donnell 15 Ellis Robson didnt he have a few with us 16 17

Enough to get out of league one but nothing more.

Each player has at least one weakness most more than one...and theses weaknesses must be well know around the coaches/clubs

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2020 9:24 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

That is my point frank. It is not about “development or expansion” but it is about a vanity project that is based on a return of an investment.

If it was based purely on expansion then foreign clubs wouldn’t have issue of been in the lower divisions why the games profile increases.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2020 10:09 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

That is my point frank. It is not about “development or expansion” but it is about a vanity project that is based on a return of an investment. If it was based purely on expansion then foreign clubs wouldn’t have issue of been in the lower divisions why the games profile increases.

Absolutely true, but the experiment as it is at present just breaks up any sort of stability in the lower leagues, hardly affecting SL. We will soon get a clue about relegation if NA teams are bottom or fall into admin. Prepare for P/R being suspended or 'adjusted' to allow Ottawa in!

From a purely selfish view I want to actively support a team that I can go and watch each weekend, home or away. I would quite happily also 'support' SL on TV, as I 'support' Pointless or the NRL games, simply by watching.

If the experiment works and it becomes a 50/50 split between home and foreign teams it will be good to watch but I wonder how many Saints fans, for instance, will be happy globe trotters to see a quarter of their games? (Possibly a bad example, Saints fans wouldn't even come to Widnes to watch their home games while their new home was built!)

But will it be 50/50 if it really takes off? Money talks and the NA teams look like having plenty of it! It could become 'International SL', based in NY!

Sky call the tune don't forget.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2020 9:31 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

That is my point frank. It is not about “development or expansion” but it is about a vanity project that is based on a return of an investment. If it was based purely on expansion then foreign clubs wouldn’t have issue of been in the lower divisions why the games profile increases.

Absolutely true, but the experiment as it is at present just breaks up any sort of stability in the lower leagues, hardly affecting SL. We will soon get a clue about relegation if NA teams are bottom or fall into admin. Prepare for P/R being suspended or ‘adjusted’ to allow Ottawa in! From a purely selfish view I want to actively support a team that I can go and watch each weekend, home or away. I would quite happily also ‘support’ SL on TV, as I ‘support’ Pointless or the NRL games, simply by watching. If the experiment works and it becomes a 50/50 split between home and foreign teams it will be good to watch but I wonder how many Saints fans, for instance, will be happy globe trotters to see a quarter of their games? (Possibly a bad example, Saints fans wouldn’t even come to Widnes to watch their home games while their new home was built!) But will it be 50/50 if it really takes off? Money talks and the NA teams look like having plenty of it! It could become ‘International SL’, based in NY! Sky call the tune don’t forget.

It would be useful if SL/RFL actually explained their expansion plans. Will there be a cap on the number of foreign teams to maintain it as a British based game? Assuming they agree on a 12 team International SL with six from the UK plus Catalan, what plans are in place for those clubs excluded - Salford, HKR, Huddersfield, Castleford, Wakefield?. Maybe Salford absorbed into a Manchester team; Castleford, Wakefield and Featherstone merged into West Yorkshire team. Even Warrington may be expected to merge with a Manchester or Liverpool team.

I also agree that if the International SL takes off and they manage to get a big North American tv deal (doubtful unless recorded games shown on Fox at 5am is seen as a success), the game will be changed to accommodate the American tv and will be based in USA.

I hope that RFL/SL wake up and see that the NA expansion just doesn't add up. Look inwards at the development of the game in the UK and any expansion should be in Europe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2020 9:59 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

RL in Liverpool wouldn't work, Huyton/Liverpool Stanley folded and a fake team wouldn't cut the mustard at all.

Waterloo RU were in the Championship in mid 2000s and couldn't buy a 4 figure crowd, even though they are a genuine longstanding team.

But going back to the thread more directly, our squad now seems to have a better balance between youth and experience to me and there are good younger players now ready to get a chance, e.g. Edge: that's what we need.

Also, Widnes are doing well adding to the player pool, which is far more important than the perceived glamour of Ottawa, as galling as it may be.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2020 6:01 pm
Page 18 / 18
Share: