Notifications
Clear all

2021 Squad

Page 8 / 18
(@scouseviking55)
Reputable Member

Lawton’s biggest problem was Lawton

Just wanted his nights out on the town and some people are just like that

then went and enjoyed Aus for a bit can’t blame the lad it was his career and his choices

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 10:34 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Can't put an old head.......

Still got time I guess, or just tell his kids 'I could have been.....'

To get to the top needs sacrifice but most of us can't be bothered.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 10:47 am
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Agree with you 100 percent CJ91. Subject to being able to pay for it we must run an Academy to provide long-term support for the club and generally the overall RL player pool.

Even if most of our Academy players do seem to go elsewhere, it’ll be worth it if we can only find and coach a couple of really good young players to strengthen our squad.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 10:54 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Agree with you 100 percent CJ91. Subject to being able to pay for it we must run an Academy to provide long-term support for the club and generally the overall RL player pool. Even if most of our Academy players do seem to go elsewhere, it’ll be worth it if we can only find and coach a couple of really good young players to strengths our squad.

Problem seems to be that when there are good lads ready the club has been hit with money problems. Club stability would have enabled them to bring the youngsters in alongside experience, just didn't seem to work for us. But we have a more realistic set up now and with decent support we can move forward again, hopefully!

Just wish we had had TS in place years ago.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 12:12 pm
(@wirralviking)
Estimable Member

Tuning back in after a sabbatical of several months, when there didn't seem much to talk about.

The impending arrival of Cook and Jewett, suggests we are heading in the right direction, or at least addressing weaknesses in the voided season's squad. A few more old heads to balance up the youngsters will keep us on the right track. Best of luck to those who have departed, the twins perhaps didn't have enough fire in their bellies, but played better than they have been given credit for. Moran was a real disappointment OK not the biggest but a solid build who just didn't seem to break the line. Swinton had a lad of similar build whose name escapes me, but he gave us no end of trouble, so you don't have to be massive to make an impact. Wilde was a solid performer too.

Got to say I had to read the Club press release a few times to understand who Dwyer was!

Here's to a Tim Sheens driven recruitment drive!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 2:03 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Lawton’s biggest problem was Lawton Just wanted his nights out on the town and some people are just like that then went and enjoyed Aus for a bit can’t blame the lad it was his career and his choices

I agree but I will say this, if he was at Saints or Wigan playing in a no nonsense environment would he have done what was he doing?

I remember, reading an interview with Tommy Makinson were he said that the culture at Saints was ruthless but motivating, he said after he made his debut he went to a local park for some catching practice and he randomly bumped into other Saints players who were also working on their skills in their spare time.

I don’t see that desire from any Young Widnes player. In fact, a lot of young players believe that building muscles in their spare time is more conducive compared to sharpening their skills.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 2:06 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

You are spot on there Spike , can remember Dougie talking about 'natural' rugby players. He commented that most of it is a skill and skills are learned, nobody bothered when he stopped behind after training nights moving along try line passing to the post, until he could hit every time, then over to the other post!

Kenny Baker commented that Sheens doesn't just tell you how to pass the ball, but when and how to hold the ball etc. He was half joking but TS has said that he is very fussy about running lines, doing things properly until it is second nature.

That imo is real 'coaching'.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 4:12 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Logan Tomkins new 2 year deal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2020 12:01 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Big deal !!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2020 12:43 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Superb news re Logan Tomkins, and a 2 year contract is a real bonus too!

Got a quality and experienced front row next year.

Notice that Jodie Broughton and Tommy Lee have been let go by Halifax, wonder if either would be on our radar?

Lee as an interchange hooker in particular? (Has been with Sheens before).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2020 2:11 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Great news - we must have one of the best front rows in the Championship and if we can confirm Craven and Smith, a decent spine to the team. The retentions and signings to date far outweigh departures, in quality and experience. A few more old heads to come in and we will certainly have a better squad.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2020 2:16 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

It’s goodTompkins has signed a 2 year deal, we’re starting to get a good squad together now. VIQI helped pay for his new contract. Like Jason says , let people know that your VIQI donations are helping Widnes sign some good players.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2020 2:17 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Great news – we must have one of the best front rows in the Championship and if we can confirm Craven and Smith, a decent spine to the team. The retentions and signings to date far outweigh departures, in quality and experience. A few more old heads to come in and we will certainly have a better squad.

Craven’s already under contract for next season. Not sure we need to confirm it again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2020 3:54 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Great news – we must have one of the best front rows in the Championship and if we can confirm Craven and Smith, a decent spine to the team. The retentions and signings to date far outweigh departures, in quality and experience. A few more old heads to come in and we will certainly have a better squad.

Craven’s already under contract for next season. Not sure we need to confirm it again.

Thanks - missed that one. Better news again. Just Smith now to add that extra experience we have previously lacked.

It is also reassuring that once again, Tim Sheens played a key part in Tomkins agreeing  a new contract.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2020 4:49 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

One thing I have learned the last few years is to never cry over anybody leaving this club as every player since 2018 has played their part in our demise.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2020 8:20 pm
Page 8 / 18
Share: