Notifications
Clear all

Who is available?

Page 1 / 8
(@rlnewbie)
Trusted Member

Haven’t posted on the new forum yet, I did on the previous one but have just read and kept up with things on here rather than posting.

Probably been touched on already but realistically what is the best way forward? Should the cloth but cut accordingly? Are fans expectations to high?

Like everyone else I couldn’t believe the club managed to get Tim and was made up, but is it a high profile coach we need next? Rumours, allegedly he was on around the 60k mark, that could be wrong, that could get you easy 3/4 part time staff in and solves the issue of assistant coach / analyst etc .

Will we finish above Toulouse, Leigh, Fev, London, York and possibly Bradford? Even Dewsbury we’re above us before the break.

Biggest thing for me is when we still go on about 1989, it’s 2020 and we are miles away from 1989 and not likely to be back there soon, that’s not taking away the history of this great club but that’s not us anymore, that mindset needs to go and we need to all realise we’re we are at and push on from here and build both on and off the field with the eventually aim of getting back there or at least as close as we possibly can.

There are a handful of local coaches who have coached at Championship / League 1 level, I’m not getting into the detail about them as it’s not a slanging, point scoring or he’s better than him point, surely a local lad will have a lot of passion for their home town and it doesn’t have to be head coach, can be assistant or anywhere on the staff, I do think the club tends to ignore local coaches etc but again that’s only my opinion. Sometimes that passion gets you an extra 1/2% when the backs are against the wall.

So, as the topic says who is available? And as a top to mid table championship side, who are we looking for that won’t break the bank but will bring us that stability and get us competing at the right end of the Championship?

Sorry for the long winded post, I just couldn’t stop typing 😃

Topic starter Posted : 08/10/2020 7:13 am
(@ralph-wiggum)
Estimable Member

See Danny Orr is leaving Castleford at the end of the season, to pursue his coaching career.

Widnes Vikings?  I wouldn't say know to Danny Orr either..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2020 7:40 am
(@anotherposter)
Reputable Member

See Danny Orr is leaving Castleford at the end of the season, to pursue his coaching career. Widnes Vikings? I wouldn’t say know to Danny Orr either..

Sounds like Orr has made the decision to leave but I would imagine Hull, Huddersfield, Leeds or even Fev if webster decides to stay at Leeds would figure well before us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2020 8:53 am
(@johno)
Eminent Member

They interviewed Shaun Wayne on telly before the CC final and he was saying that the biggest thing he's learned from leaving Wigan (and the current crisis) is that he's not the type to retire. Currently he's only part time England coach so could he be tempted to combine that role with a season or two at the Vikings?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 11:48 am
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

The way Castleford are playing, they’ve lost 6 out the last 7 and are 3rd from bottom, they might be going to sack Powell, then he would be available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 12:36 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Difficulty to read what is going on at Cas, but it sounds as if money might be tight. But I would doubt that Powell would leave tbh, more likely that they make team changes. Then again, you never know. Cas to Widnes is a lengthy commute!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 2:03 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Cas won't sack Powell and even if they did he would walk into another SL club.Hull and Huddersfield are looking and Wakefield will be parting with Chester sooner rather than later.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 2:25 pm
(@north-stand-utc)
Eminent Member

Powell is in that unfortunate position of been at a club for too long, seven years is far too long in this day and age, produced a magical side from out of nowhere 14-17, was massively impressed watched them in 2016. In fact, I always went out of my way to watch them in 2016, their style was fantastic but as for Powell, Cas peaked in 2017 and since then he hasn't got the magic back, should have left in 2018.

Very similar to Hudds, 4 or 5 good seasons but they just like Cas couldn't sustain it. And for Widnes, I would like to see Danny O'rr.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 2:33 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

They interviewed Shaun Wayne on telly before the CC final and he was saying that the biggest thing he’s learned from leaving Wigan (and the current crisis) is that he’s not the type to retire. Currently he’s only part time England coach so could he be tempted to combine that role with a season or two at the Vikings?

I mean no disrespect to you mob with this question, but...………….

Would coaching in the Championship, restrict his viewing of SL games, where the majority of the England team come from? I would suggest it would mate.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 3:26 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

The way Castleford are playing, they’ve lost 6 out the last 7 and are 3rd from bottom, they might be going to sack Powell, then he would be available.

Up to a few weeks ago, I'd have said Powell would be at Cas for a long time yet, but...………..

As the old saying goes "We're in the results business." FC put just shy of fifty past 'em yesterday, and that won't down well in the boardroom at Wheldon Road.

He did himself no favours with his slagging off of refs, and it may well come back to bite him where it hurts most!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 3:38 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

That was all a sign of the stress I guess. Always a hard choice whether to keep players or keep bringing new blood in. Being a 'good bunch of mates' is sometimes too comfy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 4:32 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Deadline for applications is next Monday, so I guess some rumours will start to emerge next week.

The time to go for Powell was when he was with Featherstone. Not a chance he will come here.

Not a standout candidate, but perhaps an opportunity for a thorough process which hasn't always been afforded to the Club.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 5:23 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

North Stand, I think Powell was actually there in 2012, our first SL season of our second era.I recall we played Cas away in one of the worst games ever on Sky, in front of about 3000.Must have been just before Millward was sacked or under Orr.I agree he's probably been there too long and he's peaked.The rugby they played in 2017 was sublime.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 5:53 pm
(@rlnewbie)
Trusted Member

With fans not looking likely till April, financially that may have an impact on the coach front and what we can afford, that’s if April is even the definite date, who knows.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/10/2020 7:49 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

They interviewed Shaun Wayne on telly before the CC final and he was saying that the biggest thing he’s learned from leaving Wigan (and the current crisis) is that he’s not the type to retire. Currently he’s only part time England coach so could he be tempted to combine that role with a season or two at the Vikings?

I mean no disrespect to you mob with this question, but……………. Would coaching in the Championship, restrict his viewing of SL games, where the majority of the England team come from? I would suggest it would mate. Spelly.

With respect Spelly, no way will Wane come to Widnes, that said, why would it hinder his viewing of his International players?

We play every Sunday, hardly any SL games get played after Catalans Saturday 6pm kick-offs. He has a telly or 2 in his house. I'm sure he is supplied with DVDs of all games from the RFL

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 8:26 pm
Page 1 / 8
Share: