Notifications
Clear all

Finnigan

Page 1 / 4
(@wrlfcefc1989)
Estimable Member

As predicted at the start of the season absolute tripe! As stated on his appointment we went for cheap and cheerful instead experience and substance. Yes Dougie and the like had no experience but they were internationals with years of experience not journeymen players. Time to let the club know they are going down the wrong path before we are in league 2  or are we just happy to exist after the last two years.

Topic starter Posted : 17/04/2021 9:42 pm
(@tonyvikinggee)
Estimable Member

There is no difference when coaching between a journeyman and an international. Its all about how you coach and how you inspire. Your past record as a player has very little bearing on how successful you will be, they are two entirely different skill sets.

Having said that, Finnigan is looking out of his depth because while we do not have a top team for this division, we at least have a mid level one. What we are looking at here is players that are getting worse, playing without a game plan, or at least executing it so poorly that it looks like we dont have a plan.

But Predicting things before a season starts and we have any evidence of his level of coaching is just a guess. Its going to be a tough season, And Finnigan must get a win in the next two or we start looking for a replacement for me. Because after Batley and Swinton we hit 2 months of games we look likely to get boshed in.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 5:40 am
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Just listened to his interview. Now that he has (rightly imo) questioned the commitment of some of his players in defence and intensity it will be interesting to see what sort of response he gets next week. Hopefully a positive one or it is going to be a very long season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 8:57 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Neil Kelly did not have a stellar career, nor did Steve McCormack, but both did very well in the 2nd Tier.

Big Problem for SF is that he didn't recruit the squad. Those that did need to be under the microscope in addition to the coach, who I agree, hasn't had a good start all things considered.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 1:08 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Just listened to his interview. Now that he has (rightly imo) questioned the commitment of some of his players in defence and intensity it will be interesting to see what sort of response he gets next week. Hopefully a positive one or it is going to be a very long season.

Does anyone get the substantiated feeling that some players are not really that bothered? Look at Smith for example, he doesn’t really want to be at Widnes, he is here because he is no longer rated by SL clubs and Widnes is convenient for travel.  I have noticed against west Wales, every try we scored he didn’t come over and celebrate with the lads.

Overall, how much does a part-time really care when it’s not their full time profession? I am sure the players care but do they care to their deaths, probably not! And also do not discount the fact that with no fans, the players have no supporters to answer to.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 1:54 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

It would send out a message IMO if Smith was dropped next week, providing Craven and Lyons are fit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 2:48 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

It would send out a message IMO if Smith was dropped next week, providing Craven and Lyons are fit.

I think Craven should be closer to get dropped than Smith and that is saying something. Smith is just going through the motions as a player but craven simply hasn’t got going.

Lyons biggest problem is that he just isn’t that good of a player, he has player in three positions an each position he has failed to impress.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 2:57 pm
(@a-cape)
Reputable Member

Craven should concentrate on rugby instead of watching an constantly tweeting about Liverpool FC. Smith is as fit as my grandad and he’s been dead for two years, the blokes obese! Tyrer thinks he’s Kevin Iro, the less said about the forwards the better! Seriously, this shower, 1 - 17 is an embarrassment to the club.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 5:39 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

I think Craven should be closer to get dropped than Smith and that is saying something. Smith is just going through the motions as a player but craven simply hasn’t got going. Lyons biggest problem is that he just isn’t that good of a player, he has player in three positions an each position he has failed to impress.

totally disagree, craven had a bad game Saturday and he was not alone,

played very well against whitehaven

smith I agree is totally not at the races, but we have very few options unless we bring in new bodies

so easy to criticise from the keyboard

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 6:47 pm
(@widiot)
Reputable Member

Matty smith was terrible in the latter stages of his SL careeer, and he’s been no different this season.

craven’s got some credit in the bank, hard to single him out after that yesterday.

next weeks game will tell us all we need to know about this team and this manager.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 7:00 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Craven should concentrate on rugby instead of watching an constantly tweeting about Liverpool FC. Smith is as fit as my grandad and he’s been dead for two years, the blokes obese! Tyrer thinks he’s Kevin Iro, the less said about the forwards the better! Seriously, this shower, 1 – 17 is an embarrassment to the club.

I’d say Tyrer has been up there as one of our better performers, not hard I know...

At least he looks like he wants it.

Craven and Smith didn’t really work as a pair last year and it hasn’t so far this year. If Jack was fit I’d play him a 6 with Craven at 7 and give Hill a run at fullback.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 7:13 pm
(@wrlfcefc1989)
Estimable Member

Didn't think he was the right man for the job when he was appointed, and the jury is still out for me. I think our CEO is getting away lightly as he brought the players and coach into the club.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/04/2021 7:43 pm
(@a-cape)
Reputable Member

Our CEO is a blagger and has kept a wage whilst hardworking people lost their jobs, the bloke has not a modicum of shame!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 7:53 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Our CEO is a blagger and has kept a wage whilst hardworking people lost their jobs, the bloke has not a modicum of shame!

Out of interest what decisions has he made that have gone badly wrong? It seems a lot of criticism towards him is based on personal issues rather than strategic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 8:21 pm
(@rlnewbie)
Trusted Member

Out of interest what decisions has he made that have gone badly wrong? It seems a lot of criticism towards him is based on personal issues rather than strategic.

Apart from SF, every member of the football staff is a mate of the CEO, SF is in my opinion a good coach but hasn’t got a chance with a very, very inexperienced back room staff. He should of been allowed to bring his own in.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 8:45 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: