Draw sort of means ...

Notifications
Clear all

Draw sort of means a loss?

Page 1 / 2
 ma
(@ma)
Trusted Member

With final league points based on win percentage, does that mean our draw may aswell have been a loss.

In extremities, does it mean that we could draw all matches this season but a team that loses all but one that they win could finish above us?

Topic starter Posted : 04/04/2021 6:54 pm
(@tonyvikinggee)
Estimable Member

Honest Question, but isnt it more points per game as opposed to win percentage?

So we finish with 12 points after 11 games and Swinton finish with 12 points after 12 games. We finish higher based on a points per game ratio?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2021 6:56 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Don’t think points come into it really,

Play 2 win 2 100%

play 2+draw 2 50 %

play 2 win 1 lose 1 50 %

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2021 7:08 pm
Badly Overdrawn Boy
(@badly-overdrawn-boy)
Honorable Member

That's a good question!

I was looking at the table on the RL official website and it gives two stats - win % and points %

So we have 0% for wins but 100% for points (30  v 30). Swinton have 0% and 71.43%, so are below us.

Does that mean if they win their next game by 2 points more than they lost this weekend and we win by one point, they'll be above us?

I've no idea how this works and can't find any explanation on the RL site. In fact, their headline for yesterday's game is

"NEWCASTLE SECURE DRAMATIC POINT ON CHAMPIONSHIP RETURN"........ but the table isn't based on points, it's definitely % win,as was last year's Super League...... when there were no draws because of the golden point rule.

Anyone got the answer?

https://www.rugby-league.com/championship__league_1/league_tables

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2021 9:33 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Literally just thought the same and had a look - a draw is basically a loss, yes.

The league table decided by win percentage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2021 9:57 am
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

If all the matches are played, then won’t it be the team that wins the most matches that finishes top, and they will have the biggest percentage, and if Widnes win more matches than the team below them, they will finish higher than that club. Percentage will only come into it, if all the matches aren’t played, and with the Covid infection rate dropping sharply in the UK, and more people getting vaccinated each day, the chances of a team having to call a match off because of Covid will become smaller and smaller.
The only exception is Toulouse, I’m surprised they’re still allowed to travel here for matches then fly back again, with the infection rates being very high in France.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2021 11:55 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

If it is all on win% then surely they should have golden point?

Is there any reason why Points Per Game can't be used?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2021 12:22 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

I've had it clarified by RFL now that a draw counts as half a win.

So our points percentage is 50% (currently shown incorrectly on RFL site).

Points percentage will come in to play, largely due to the issues travelling to and from Toulouse; but also the possibility that COVID causes other games to be postponed, and the lack of time to fit them in.

I'd be surprised if we play Toulouse at all, given we were only scheduled in to play them away.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2021 12:34 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Thanks James, that’s exactly what I thought and makes sense

isaid months ago doubt we would play Toulouse in regular season

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2021 3:04 pm
Badly Overdrawn Boy
(@badly-overdrawn-boy)
Honorable Member

The RFL league table has been corrected now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2021 2:37 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

I’ve had it clarified by RFL now that a draw counts as half a win. So our points percentage is 50% (currently shown incorrectly on RFL site). Points percentage will come in to play, largely due to the issues travelling to and from Toulouse; but also the possibility that COVID causes other games to be postponed, and the lack of time to fit them in. I’d be surprised if we play Toulouse at all, given we were only scheduled in to play them away.

At the risk of turning it into a Monty Python sketch how does calling a draw ‘half a win’ clarify anything ? It could logically be argued that a draw could be called ‘half a loss’ too.

So 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a win. I guess you just try and win as many as you can.

It is interesting though that you could quite feasibly be top of the league but not have the best win percentage - if that happens there will be people throwing their toys out the pram :

Toulouse: played 12, won 9, lost 3 - points 18, win percentage 75%

Widnes: played 8, won 6, drew 1, lost 1 - points 13, win percentage 81.25% (75% wins, 6.25% draw)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2021 9:40 am
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

The above would strike me as fair tbh. A team with 1.5 points per match finishing below one with 1.625 points per match. Or as fair as it can be under the current circumstances.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2021 10:22 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

I’ve had it clarified by RFL now that a draw counts as half a win. So our points percentage is 50% (currently shown incorrectly on RFL site). Points percentage will come in to play, largely due to the issues travelling to and from Toulouse; but also the possibility that COVID causes other games to be postponed, and the lack of time to fit them in. I’d be surprised if we play Toulouse at all, given we were only scheduled in to play them away.

At the risk of turning it into a Monty Python sketch how does calling a draw ‘half a win’ clarify anything ? It could logically be argued that a draw could be called ‘half a loss’ too. So 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a win. I guess you just try and win as many as you can. It is interesting though that you could quite feasibly be top of the league but not have the best win percentage – if that happens there will be people throwing their toys out the pram : Toulouse: played 12, won 9, lost 3 – points 18, win percentage 75% Widnes: played 8, won 6, drew 1, lost 1 – points 13, win percentage 81.25% (75% wins, 6.25% draw)

In that example, both teams have the same win percentage, and Widnes are top because of the draw. Which is surely how it would be in normal terms anyway.

You could win 15 games and draw 3 and still be top of the league ahead of a team that's won 16 games in normal points system just the same.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2021 11:23 am
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

This is becoming confusing when I thought it was a simple concept

the league is based on percentages win of games played and to qualify for playoffs you have to have played 16 (?) games, but if you don’t complete 16, the percentage is taken on games played and missing games of the 16 taken as losses

if you take points won against points available that gives you the winning percentage

a far better system than the RU idea of awarding points for missed games,

working against a team that were Covid banned

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2021 7:17 pm
(@wrlfcefc1989)
Estimable Member

Anyone know why there's no golden point?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2021 9:06 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: