Notifications
Clear all

2021 Squad

Page 13 / 18
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

With Tyrer in, Johnson out and no announcment either way yet on Roby, it looks like the backline will be very similar to 2020. Can't see us signing more than one more back and won't surprise me if we don't add any.

Forward signings are the key now, with six gone (5 of whom were in the first 17 most weeks) replacing them with better players would see us in a strong position. I haven't seen Lee Jewitt play recently but he has a good track record (albeit recent injury record a concern) but would be confident Matt Cook is an upgrade on all the forwards who have left. Glad we have retained our two best forwards (imo) in Baker and Tomkins. I think our season may stand or fall by the decisions on who we add to the pack.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2020 7:58 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Likelihood is that there will be a wait to see if there is any fallout from SL teams who may anticipate their reduction in funds next year. We might look for slightly younger back rowers/props next.

The age of Cook and Jewitt willl probably mean that they will need to be replaced next season.

If we can have a season with a more consistently competitive team we might even see improved gates and financial capability. Hopefully we will not be fighting Administrators and the RFL and can concentrate on the future signings.

Growing your own players isn't easy and requires the release of young players who are deemed unlikely to succeed at the top. Saints and Wigan have managed being focused on the real need rather than promoting automatically.

However, next year first, but hope that TS can help in picking a successor ready for 2022 if he retires.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2020 9:04 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

I’m sort of hoping Tim Sheens will be sufficiently enjoying the gig that he extends his stay beyond 2021. Perhaps wishful thinking but it’s possible.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2020 9:10 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

Full back, centre and half backs are sorted. I would expect us to sign another winger, someone proven with pace and try scoring potential. Although we could play one of the centres as a winger (Roby, Hatton, Spedding or Edge) If we don't re-sign Roby then I would definitely expect another winger to come in.

2 more props are needed, one of whom could be Clough and 2 back rowers. If we can find a couple of big 2nd rows that would be a bonus, Wild and Leuluai although both hard working were not the biggest.

I think it makes sense to wait for the last couple of signings to see what happens in SL, if they only go with 11 teams next season then 20 or so SL standard players could be available to Championship teams.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2020 9:30 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

There is a definite buzz about the place with Sheens building his squad for 2021. The three signings we have made so far have been positive, bringing in the experience we needed in the pack and Tyrer adding experience  in the backs. Assuming we will be aiming for a squad of 24, there will be at least 4 new signings coming in, maybe one of whom will be Clough - another good addition to the pack.

Maybe we will have to wait until SL squads have been finalised and the TWP fiasco resolved, to see whether there are any other SL players released and prepared to play p/t. You never know, Sheens may have Australian contacts to identify an experienced Aussie or an up and coming young player, looking to have a year in the UK on a decent p/t contract.

The club, like all clubs, are having to take risks with signings for 2021, as it is still not certain when crowds will be allowed back into grounds or, given the situation with Hull, whether the games will be played in 2021; so credit to the Board and VIQI for investing in the 2021 squad.

Looking forward to getting back to "Naughton Park" or whatever it is called these days, to watch the Vikings again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 6:26 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

You're absolutely right with the uncertainty Frank! So many ifs and buts nobody is sure what is going to happen.

Another hooker wouldn't come amiss for cover at least. Haven't Haven just signed a young Aussie prop from their minor leagues? TS must have some contacts there.

In the mean time, when you think back to where we have been in the recent past, who would have expected us anticipating a good season! Lift the crowd, push VIQI wherever we can and enjoy the game again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 7:33 am
(@sunny)
Noble Member

I’m sort of hoping Tim Sheens will be sufficiently enjoying the gig that he extends his stay beyond 2021. Perhaps wishful thinking but it’s possible.

Now that would be great news! What a buzz that would give.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 7:43 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Thought this myself - maybe he could feel cheated by Covid 19 out of half his project time. I was told by the authorities (SWMO) that I was writing my own script!!!!

A good year maybe - we can only hope!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 8:18 am
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

As has been said, we still need a few more forwards, I wonder if Toronto don’t take part next season, do you think we would could get Mullaly back to his hometown club.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 8:22 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

As has been said, we still need a few more forwards, I wonder if Toronto don’t take part next season, do you think we would could get Mullaly back to his hometown club.

A lot will depend on SL funding and just how they trim their squads. Then we have the PT situation which some ex SL lads won't want to move to. There must come a time with borderline players where the drop to PT seems like an admission that they haven't made it. But age takes a part too, if you have to start to look at life after RL. Life with some SL sides isn't as secure as you might think either.

Sounds as if Smithy has decided to look at coaching and could be concentrating on that, Logan Tomkins has a business growing (Covid permitting) and they obviously are looking ahead and enjoying the game as a 'game' again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 8:36 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Noticed on the 'Out of Contract Players without offers' lists are Junior Moors, Gil Dudson and Wellington Albert!

Looks as if Gil and Wellie have hit the buffers!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 10:35 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Thought this myself – maybe he could feel cheated by Covid 19 out of half his project time. I was told by the authorities (SWMO) that I was writing my own script!!!! A good year maybe – we can only hope!

Agree - come on Finney, get that offer on the table for a contract extension. Maybe Smith looking to develop his coaching skills alongside a top class coach.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 10:58 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Just think, this time last year we were preparing to go to Wembley.

And by my reckoning, only 3 of the starting 17 will be here come pre-season.

Shows the massive turnover with more to come....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 1:46 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Interesting how we always say it isn’t practical to sign part-time Yorkshire players but our very own Steve Tyer and Shane Grady both Widnes based, both played for Halifax. So why couldn’t we sign Yorkshire based players?

Also, who is the clubs greatest Yorkshire import? (Can’t be too many)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 4:41 pm
(@wrlfcefc1989)
Estimable Member

Interesting how we always say it isn’t practical to sign part-time Yorkshire players but our very own Steve Tyrer and Shane Grady both Widnes based, both played for Halifax. So why couldn’t we sign Yorkshire based players?

That's down cash, money talks and Fax were paying decent money.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 8:34 pm
Page 13 / 18
Share: