Notifications
Clear all

Union or League?

Page 1 / 3
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

Just for a bit of fun, if you had a choice of Widnes.........

A - struggling financially in the Championship forever as we are now with circa 2k crowds, part time players, no TV revenue and no youth setup.

or

B - Joining the ranks of rugby union with the knowledge that in 3 to 4 years we would gain promotion to the Premiership with bigger crowds, loads of TV money, sponsorship and a couple of England RU internationals in the squad.....

Which one would you pick?

Topic starter Posted : 19/08/2021 7:52 pm
(@scouseviking55)
Reputable Member

League because I’m not a fan of union 🤣

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 8:04 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Even RL played poorly is miles better to watch than Union

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 8:08 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

League, if I wanted to watch Union I would follow another club.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 8:11 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

XIII yesterday, today, tomorrow, and forever!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 8:20 pm
(@widnes89)
Eminent Member

Bit of a horrible question, but taking it literally as you've asked it:  a) eternally unsuccessful or b) successful albeit in a different league / sport then B sounds quite appealing.

In reality however, as we're Widnes fans and being eternal optimists, we're never going to accept that a is possibility - or at least it's going to take a lot for us accept that the dream is over. Think also success is relative and some  may argue its better to be top end of the championship than bottom end of SL.

Regarding B, we're never really ever going to be in the position where we'd know that it was ever a possibility. Surely no multi millionaire is ever going to come along and say we'll  bankroll you, but only if it's in union.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 8:45 pm
(@primrose-viking)
Estimable Member

Just for a bit of fun, if you had a choice of Widnes……… A – struggling financially in the Championship forever as we are now with circa 2k crowds, part time players, no TV revenue and no youth setup. or B – Joining the ranks of rugby union with the knowledge that in 3 to 4 years we would gain promotion to the Premiership with bigger crowds, loads of TV money, sponsorship and a couple of England RU internationals in the squad….. Which one would you pick?

Union is not for me.

I much prefer my own game and would rather watch an amature league team that union

There is no comparison

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 10:07 pm
(@magnus)
Eminent Member

League - all day long.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2021 12:03 am
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

Surely if B happened, the good folk on here couldn't possible moan with any more gusto than they do about A, which is already happening?

I'll take B please. I'm not a massive fan of RU but it would be a better option than going through scenario A to the end of my days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2021 6:41 am
widneslatic
(@widneslatic)
Reputable Member

Has to be Option A, but it is a really poor set of choices tbh.

Union has always been tedious to watch, and League is currently light years away from the game I fell in love with.

On the upside, it looks like Wigan Warriors will be looking for a new home soon, so it's not all bad news 🤣🤣🤣

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2021 12:38 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

I watch Widnes play rugby league, if I wanted to watch union I would go down the old wids

not sure what you base getting into the premiership in 3-4 seasons from, many clubs have been trying for years ( Cornish pirates for instance) and have thrown a lot of money at it. The crowds in the union championship are poor and the wage bill is large

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2021 1:32 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Looking on the bright side, with Union you have time to make a cuppa when they scrum down, and usually your back to see which way the penalty went!

The vison in RU just doesn't compare with decisions made without looking at other options (one of Jiffy's comments!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2021 3:30 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

This is Widnes in the 21st Century though, so we would probably contrive a way to lose the 5th Division Play-Off Final against Waterloo's 3rd XV!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2021 4:01 pm
(@d-day)
Estimable Member

Surely if B happened, the good folk on here couldn’t possible moan with any more gusto than they do about A, which is already happening? I’ll take B please. I’m not a massive fan of RU but it would be a better option than going through scenario A to the end of my days.

I dont think club RU is too bad.  Lets be honest watching Widnes at the moment is pretty depressing.  If it meant large crowds, top players and revenue for the town it would be a no brainer for me.

Not thats its going to happen though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2021 8:35 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

How many people watch the Wids these days ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2021 9:15 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: