Notifications
Clear all

Mini-Licencing

Page 1 / 3
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member

So, should Toronto Wolfpack not be brought back into SL next year, the RFL will open up a licencing application for clubs to be promoted to SL.

Currently, if seems Widnes haven't opted in yet, but it's very early days.  Should we be putting ourselves forward?  Surely we're as strong as anyone else to go up, there's no point having the coach and the good recruitment if our end goal isn't to get into SL.

Topic starter Posted : 10/09/2020 12:46 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

So, should Toronto Wolfpack not be brought back into SL next year, the RFL will open up a licencing application for clubs to be promoted to SL. Currently, if seems Widnes haven’t opted in yet, but it’s very early days. Should we be putting ourselves forward? Surely we’re as strong as anyone else to go up, there’s no point having the coach and the good recruitment if our end goal isn’t to get into SL.

Says who?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2020 12:47 pm
(@di-keith-fowler)
Trusted Member

So, should Toronto Wolfpack not be brought back into SL next year, the RFL will open up a licencing application for clubs to be promoted to SL. Currently, if seems Widnes haven’t opted in yet, but it’s very early days. Should we be putting ourselves forward? Surely we’re as strong as anyone else to go up, there’s no point having the coach and the good recruitment if our end goal isn’t to get into SL.

Says who?

Reading between the lines I think. It's been said that there will be a 12 team division next season regardless of Toronto's involvement, and since there's no way of getting promoted this season it would have to be some sort of licencing arrangement.

To answer the question, yes we should go for it, no we likely wouldn't get it. We're too close to the administration, if this was a couple of years down the line and we had a bit more a track record I think we'd be in with a good shout but it's just too soon.

The RFL made clear last time that whilst they liked our application they thought of us as a new club and we had to prove ourselves with stability over a few years. We did that and then we got in on the second round of licencing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2020 12:54 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

I don't think that TWP will be relegated by the RFL or their application to joint the SL refused. There would be too much loss of face following the over hype through Sky.

If they were excluded, the place is likely to be allocated to London or Toulouse. If it was based on support and financial stability, without a rich benefactor, Widnes must be considered but probably too soon after Administration. Beaumont will think that Leigh are nailed on, but will be frustrated. Featherstone no better case than Widnes. If Bradford had a ground, with their crowd potential, they could be considered, but again too soon after financial problems.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2020 1:35 pm
(@ceejay1)
Reputable Member

There is no point in going into SL without a bottomless pit of money.   We would never get the gates to support a strong SL team.    We could only average around the 8k mark when we were top of the tree in the 80/90's.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2020 1:37 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

There is no point in going into SL without a bottomless pit of money. We would never get the gates to support a strong SL team. We could only average around the 8k mark when we were top of the tree in the 80/90’s.

l

You are probably right that we don't fit the SL profile with their expansionist plans, but neither do Salford or Huddersfield or Featherstone or Castleford or Leigh. There is not a great deal of difference between the bottom 4 of SL and the top 4 of the Championship.

I believe that with a coach like Sheens at the helm and Directors not milking the club at the expense of strengthening the team, Widnes could make a fist of SL but. as has been said, we may be better off being at the top end of a competitive Championship, rather than struggling at the bottom end of SL or bouncing between the two.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2020 2:08 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Although common sense dictates otherwise, I agree that Toronto will be back in SL, probably with a points penalty.

Anyway, even with Tim Sheens at the helm and a decent p/t team for next season, it is too soon after the recent shenanigans for us to join SL.

I believe that over the next few years we will prove ourselves to be good enough on the pitch and gain promotion that way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2020 2:21 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

I suspect we would be sunk by the fact that we are PT and also that the current board have a short track record: albeit longer than O'Connor had when we were rejected in 08.

The fundamentals of the club are decent enough though, solid fanbase (better than London, Toulouse) and an excellent track record of player production.

We wouldn't get it, but I wonder whether it would be worth dropping in an application to show that we still have ambitions not to become a run of the mill Championship side to the non-regulars who may not fully appreciate the ins and out but would still moan that Widnes had no ambition and become even less likely to attend.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2020 5:47 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

I would agree that we need to settle and prove our stability off the field before we would be serious containers. But we should, if required, make the point that it is our intention to return.

We would require another  coach by then unless TS could be tempted. In the meantime we need to expand our funding in some way or we would be continually struggling.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2020 7:15 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

You may find that the SL may be beggars rather than choosers. There are a lot of clubs walking on thin ice, and not just below SL level.

I think we should keep our powder dry, and see what happens for 2022.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2020 10:04 pm
(@rafe-wrench)
Trusted Member

We should aim to spend a couple of years becoming used to winning. Even then, without a benefactor, we'll only prove yet again can't afford the ticket to the comp.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2020 9:07 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Nowhere near ready for a return to SL.What would be the point of 40 and 50 point hammerings every week and disillusioned home crowds dwindling to 2500 ? Let the Toronto fantasy play out and come to its natural conclusion, I say.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2020 5:33 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Get back to playing good footy, good to watch and, hopefully, winning. Make game day one that gives us all a boost - we will all need it!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2020 6:23 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Nowhere near ready for a return to SL.What would be the point of 40 and 50 point hammerings every week and disillusioned home crowds dwindling to 2500 ? Let the Toronto fantasy play out and come to its natural conclusion, I say.

I don't disagree with these and other comments about competing at SL level. There were many games in 2018 when I left the ground vowing never to return because of the disgraceful and underwhelming performances, but still came back for more in expectation that it couldn't get any worse - it did!!

The point that I would make is that surely the aim of the club in 2021 is to get into the top 5 and win promotion to SL in the play-offs. If we get to the play-off final, are we hoping to lose or would refuse promotion if we won?

I believe that if we are promoted, with the current Board and support (and the Manager if he stays for another year) and potentially increased sponsorship, we could produce a team capable of initially surviving and eventually growing in SL - that is until (or if) a licensing system is introduced aimed at big city clubs.

In the meantime, I am quite happy to see Widnes competing for a top 5 finish in a competitive and entertaining Championship.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2020 7:58 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

We aren't in a yes or no situation atm . There is a lot which requires sorting and TWP/Ottawa is only one item.

The way the Sky talks go could shake things up considerably. Just how will the agreement pan out? Will there be a bigger or a smaller share for the lower leagues? Will the SL only be viable for clubs with outside funding sources? It just goes on.

We have to want to be in the 'best' league but only if we can realistically compete. We have shown from time to time that we can compete on the field, despite struggling off it, but is that what we want? The club has I believe gone a long way to re-establishing itself with its fan base and that was a major hurdle at the time. But after a dead year we need to kick on from there. Good ST sales and an attractive game plan are a must and look to be likely, Covid 19 permitting.

Get that underway and we might have to face promotion, but not yet

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2020 11:31 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: