Notifications
Clear all

Recruitment 2023

Page 4 / 8
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

@sunny 

Hard decision for the player, only a relatively short career, maybe domestic commitments etc. and he needs the exposure/publicity. 

The commercial climate will certainly hit the wealthy owners too and the Newcastle drive for SL seems to have hit the buffers already. Don't know how long Keighley are planning for but it will have to be more than a couple of years imo. 

Atm we seem to be consolidating and moving forward carefully which is probably a good option.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2022 7:37 am
(@ringo-bells)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @sunny
Posted by: @mt

Happily have Johnson back. In general I wouldn’t be looking at signing many players from a team that is going to finish quite near the bottom despite having full-time status against mainly part-time sides.

Johnson has speed, something several posters have said our backs don't have.

Didn't he leave us because he wanted to play full time rugby, not due to a fall out with us.

I also wouldn't mind him back, maybe instead of trying to sign Dixon which I suggested elsewhere.

I think Spedding has a decent turn of speed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2022 1:00 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

I see hull have announced Dwyer from Leeds and extended the contracts of Houghton and the other hooker they have from Fiji. But no mention of JJ in the press release.

I would have Johnson from Newcastle,  Warrington based and scores lots of tries. If Holroyd stays at Swinton he would be a good option, can't see him staying at Newcastle part time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2022 8:33 am
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

Yes I believe he would improve our squad but I wouldn’t throw a huge amount at him. That’s half the battle getting guys on a decent contract and not overspending in one area 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2022 2:28 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

Matt Davis leaving warrington at the end of this season m, do you think he might be tempted to go part time with us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2022 5:20 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member
Posted by: @mckeeverviking

Matt Davis leaving warrington at the end of this season m, do you think he might be tempted to go part time with us

He is supposed to have signed for leigh next season - full time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2022 11:25 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

@sunny fair enough thanks for the update

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2022 11:42 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

The FT/PT break point really hampers the PT teams. It will be interesting to see just how Denis pads his team out.

I know I've said it before, but the ability to have sponsors with jobs to offer could become the killer now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 9:47 am
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Let’s not make that an excuse. We are arguably the biggest PT club in the North West, gives us plenty of options to try and recruit. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t be able to compete nearer the top of the table than we are at the moment. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 9:58 am
Pascal reacted
 JJ65
(@richard-richard)
Reputable Member

@mt biggest club in the North West 🤣

Not much competition is there..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 10:59 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

@mt 

Not an excuse at all MT, could be a bonus.

The point is that if PT means that you, as a RL player, can't support your family/lifestyle on the part time contract then being with the 'biggest club' matters not one jot! 

But if the club can help by getting you suitable employment or training during your stay then it's a goer!!!

I have no idea just what a PT player earns, what we can offer, or what his career ideas are so I am just looking to make us an attractive club!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 11:26 am
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

If I was to guess I’d say widnes top earners are on around 25-35kthis being Owens/craven/smith/

majority will be on around 15-20k

Squad players around 7-12k

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 1:00 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

@mckeeverviking 

That looks about right, thinking how much the club gets through the gate etc. Which makes a job a necessity unless you are a young chap living at home. And if your job isn't in Widnes travel to training after working a day could be just not on.

We are on a tight budget too, no Keith Senior etc coaching our pack! Whether a backs coach would expand our moves etc is worth a thought at least, leaving JK to cover the pack, or vice versa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 1:32 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

@sandgroper it’s been said on here that smiths walking away from the game next year but might be worth offering him a pt coaching role, I think Owens plays a role with the backs as club captain and is certainly vocal during the GoPro video footage at the training sessions

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 1:47 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

Apparently we are spending twice as much next season taking the budget up to around 450k

i don’t know how much Amor is asking for probably around 35k, JJ & Gilmore around 30k 

I hope with the increased budget we can also get a few more quality players, keeping around 70% of current squad giving us a bigger squad. I’d like to see Roberts retained and another big center m, I’d say wingers are probably not priority as we have lots of cover 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 1:54 pm
Page 4 / 8
Share: