Notifications
Clear all

2021 Squad

Page 1 / 18
(@widiots-on-tour)
Eminent Member

Who do we think will be staying and going, and who could we possibly bring in?

Topic starter Posted : 15/06/2020 7:39 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

I hope that we retain most if not all of them tbh. They will develop under TS for sure. We could use some seasoned strength in the pack, as we all realise. Just how much we can afford to spend will be critical.

Looking at our old games, Relf, O'Neil, Stone were gave us a strength that we may lack atm, so something like them could help though they don't have to be Aussies!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 12:38 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Very early to say, but it would be harsh to get rid of anyone based on a handful of matches.

That being said, I read John Kear talking about funding issues for reserve grades, so I wonder whether some SL reserve players could come our way permanently and preferably in the Front Row.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 2:41 pm
 Owl
(@owl)
Trusted Member

Very early to say, but it would be harsh to get rid of anyone based on a handful of matches. That being said, I read John Kear talking about funding issues for reserve grades, so I wonder whether some SL reserve players could come our way permanently and preferably in the Front Row.

The reserve grade may well  go...did read that somewhere. The money will not go that far. Post covid we will see a reduction in all squads across the game. There may well be a return to pay as you play for some part time players and no contract as such. In semi-pro football this is about happen in higher leagues than it does at the moment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 7:09 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Very early to say, but it would be harsh to get rid of anyone based on a handful of matches. That being said, I read John Kear talking about funding issues for reserve grades, so I wonder whether some SL reserve players could come our way permanently and preferably in the Front Row.

Need more than academy front rowers to improve us though.

The Dewsbury game should be the game for us to look at how to improve us. Bullied. If we can't play the nice pretty stuff we're pretty much useless. Crying out for experienced front rowers. Without more size and experience we'll be a long way off where we want to be.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 10:24 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

I notice Kenny Baker was pushing a highlights reel his agent had put together on Twitter.

Must be hard for all clubs to figure out what to do for 2021 when 2020 is still up in the air.

The key ones will be Smith and Tomkins - while they might have been happy turning out for us for a year with an outside shot at promotion under Tim Sheens, will they want to do it for another year if they've got interest from elsewhere.

Would expect the usual suspects to remain - Owens, Craven, Chapelhow x2 etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 9:43 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Smithy seemed to be looking to a coaching career iirc. Another playing year alongside Sheens wouldn't be a bad apprenticeship! Then, who knows?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2020 8:24 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

I notice Kenny Baker was pushing a highlights reel his agent had put together on Twitter. Must be hard for all clubs to figure out what to do for 2021 when 2020 is still up in the air. The key ones will be Smith and Tomkins – while they might have been happy turning out for us for a year with an outside shot at promotion under Tim Sheens, will they want to do it for another year if they’ve got interest from elsewhere. Would expect the usual suspects to remain – Owens, Craven, Chapelhow x2 etc.

I  think having Sheens here in 2021 is the key. Players may want to stay to play a full season under an experienced coach. In the few games played this year, Baker has performed well and didn't Sheens suggest that he was a player who could have made it in SL?

A full season here may well benefit him, although who could blame any player leaving if a better deal is offered elsewhere. Maybe offering two year deals may be an attractive option. As has been said many times, if we can retain this squad for 2021 and strengthen it with a couple of big forwards, we could be in with a good chance of making the play-offs and maybe even promotion - that is if SL has not become a closed shop by then.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2020 2:43 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Regarding part-timers, anyone with a job these days would be wise to look twice before swapping it for, say a year in SL. How much would SL pay for an untried possible talent? From the players point of view, particularly if he has a family, how much is he prepared to risk?

SL clubs will be £280,000 short on funds too, and that could free up some of their 'promising' youngsters and limit just how much the club can afford to gamble.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2020 5:42 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

I'll bet Leuluai will be here.

Just saying, like

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2020 7:14 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

If here, Lulu will be in his testimonial year!!!

I agree that the Dewsbury game is a lesson in having a rough, experienced pack. But, I suppose it is a case of whether we can tempt some old heads our way.

At this point, given everything, I would just be happy to have a decent team on the park that we can watch live and take matters from there.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2020 10:41 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

With you there CJ!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2020 11:12 am
(@widiots-on-tour)
Eminent Member

With Sheens on a 2 year deal, I think keeping the current squad and building on top of it would be a smart option. We definitely need some big forwards as the Dewsbury game proved. Losing 2 of the games we played this year isn’t bad so hopefully with a strengthened squad we can improve on 5th place that we are in now.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/06/2020 6:59 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Finney saying in LE that there may be 60 or 70 SL players released and we are looking at signings with that in mind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2020 1:23 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Baker and Cross signed new deals.

Excellent news.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2020 7:39 pm
Page 1 / 18
Share: