Who where the impre...

Notifications
Clear all

Who where the impressive candidates.

Page 1 / 3
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

"He replaces Tim Sheens, beating off competition from a number of impressive candidates"

That was the statement made when SF was given the role. Has anybody any idea just who the others where ?. I would bet that SF was appointed as he fitted the culture of the club not because he was the best coach, right or wrong ?

Anyone else have an opinion on this?.

Topic starter Posted : 08/08/2021 5:00 pm
(@ceejay1)
Reputable Member

I hope his contract money is not based on results or he will be getting the begging bowl out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 5:05 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Give him a chance, he inherited the team, what have his signings been ? Loan players, 2 of which were good and hulme who has been ok

his hands are tied, our biggest paid player has not played for 18 months and no sign of playing soon, no doubt he will be shifted off to salfraud and play a full season for them

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 5:43 pm
(@the-ghost-of-ethel)
Estimable Member

Tomkins probably wont play at all this season as the furlough scheme runs until the end of September.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 5:54 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

I mention another thread that with our current small squad any Championship coach would struggle.

However, IMHO there is a lack of motivation amongst the players and an odd selection/tactics policy  bearing in mind we don’t have enough big, tough forwards.

But changing the coach now or even before the start of next season is, for me, a non starter. He must be given a chance to select next seasons squad and then be judged on their performance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 6:05 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

If you remember the interview PF gave (IIRC on the podcast), he said that there were some applicants who did not produce a good application and that it was a bit of an eye opener. I think in that context he was talking about how CVs and letters were being presented.

IMO the fact TS walked would have sent alarm bells to certain coaches putting them off the job.

That being said, there was no obvious leading candidate IMO and if SF interviewed well, then like any job he should be appointed if he gave the best interview out of the shortlisted candidates.

I'm in 2 minds about SF, he hasn't had the chance to properly recruit and has had bad luck with injuries in the pack but I'm not sure what I have seen gives me a great deal of confidence that we would finish Top 6 next year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 6:16 pm
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

I don’t see how anyone can point a finger at the coach when we have no props. You could have the best coach in the world but with no props on field or to interchange your players will be exhausted by half-time!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 6:16 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

The main issue for me is recruitment that took place before Finnigan got the job. That, and the season long loan deals proving about as solid as quicksand. For me he should be a given a chance with his own signings and a proper pre season. If we are still underachieving next season then it will be on him.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 6:19 pm
Martin
(@martin)
Prominent Member

The main issue for me is recruitment that took place before Finnigan got the job. That, and the season long loan deals proving about as solid as quicksand. For me he should be a given a chance with his own signings and a proper pre season. If we are still underachieving next season then it will be on him.

Sorry MT but according to our CEO there was money for forwards that would not be offered a contract for SL and i don't think we won a game with any of the Wire players. Problem was Finnegan lives in Widnes so was the cheap option simple as, and I am sick to death of hearing about next season. WHAT about this season. Other teams started at the same time all had not played for twelve month yet we are in the bottom half of a championship which apart from a few teams  we should be head and shoulders over others. ITS CRAP and that's from someone who never criticises our team.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 6:32 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

I don’t disagree with some of that, Martin but I think it doesn’t counter my view that the recruitment is not the fault of the current coach. He came into the club with the squad (bar Lawton and Hulme) already signed, loads of excess outside backs twiddling their thumbs with no cover barring untried youngsters in the pack. Plenty of people including myself said we were light on forwards and that was without knowing we would get about an hour in total out of Tomkins and Jewitt and also lose Dwyer and O’Neill.
Is it his fault that we have failed to strengthen during the season? Who knows. But I maintain the club is paying for mistakes prior to his appointment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 6:41 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Sorry MT but according to our CEO there was money for forwards that would not be offered a contract for SL and i don’t think we won a game with any of the Wire players. Problem was Finnegan lives in Widnes so was the cheap option simple as, and I am sick to death of hearing about next season. WHAT about this season. Other teams started at the same time all had not played for twelve month yet we are in the bottom half of a championship which apart from a few teams we should be head and shoulders over others. ITS CRAP and that’s from someone who never criticises our team.

Fair minded words, Martin.Just shows how bad things are  when even the usually polite and patient fans have had enough.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 6:47 pm
(@aceaceace)

I don’t disagree with some of that, Martin but I think it doesn’t counter my view that the recruitment is not the fault of the current coach. He came into the club with the squad (bar Lawton and Hulme) already signed, loads of excess outside backs twiddling their thumbs with no cover barring untried youngsters in the pack. Plenty of people including myself said we were light on forwards and that was without knowing we would get about an hour in total out of Tomkins and Jewitt and also lose Dwyer and O’Neill. Is it his fault that we have failed to strengthen during the season? Who knows. But I maintain the club is paying for mistakes prior to his appointment.

PF messed up with recruitment. There was nobody else left here to blame other than him with what we have started the season with. Simple as.

The fact that he hasn't been brave enough to put an answer out there as to why Sheen's walked tells its own story too on that front.

This isn't in any way acceptable to effectively be limping till the end of the season filling out match day squads to just complete games.

But... It isn't Simon's fault. If he isn't been given funds to strengthen then he just has to run with what he has. He needs his own off season and hopefully a less Conservative budget to work with now things are getting back to some form of normality.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 7:09 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

The idea that any top graded coach would apply to coach a team that has just escaped oblivion, is for the birds. I would guess that most current SL coaches would know the fitness state of Cook and Hewitt already and common sense plus local chit chat would say that we would be short of cash for at least a year. Our name counts here but our well publicised financial problems plus rapid coaching changes would make us a no-no for most established coaches.

SF Is locally based, probably fed up with the driving to Newcastle, and does have some historical feeling for the club. Against no opposition he would be the remaining option.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 7:15 pm
(@jaws123)
Eminent Member

I’ve said this all along and I will say it again in my opinion I don’t think finnigan is the answer for us as coach he just doesn’t fill me with confidence. What we needed was a experienced coach that had either been in the championship for a few years and done ok or a assistant coach from a super league side the likes of higginson someone who had seen how a top coach ran things. I no some people are saying we have to give him a chance but look where we are in the league.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 7:40 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

I don’t disagree with some of that, Martin but I think it doesn’t counter my view that the recruitment is not the fault of the current coach. He came into the club with the squad (bar Lawton and Hulme) already signed, loads of excess outside backs twiddling their thumbs with no cover barring untried youngsters in the pack. Plenty of people including myself said we were light on forwards and that was without knowing we would get about an hour in total out of Tomkins and Jewitt and also lose Dwyer and O’Neill. Is it his fault that we have failed to strengthen during the season? Who knows. But I maintain the club is paying for mistakes prior to his appointment.

PF messed up with recruitment. There was nobody else left here to blame other than him with what we have started the season with. Simple as. The fact that he hasn’t been brave enough to put an answer out there as to why Sheen’s walked tells its own story too on that front. This isn’t in any way acceptable to effectively be limping till the end of the season filling out match day squads to just complete games. But… It isn’t Simon’s fault. If he isn’t been given funds to strengthen then he just has to run with what he has. He needs his own off season and hopefully a less Conservative budget to work with now things are getting back to some form of normality.

Sheens left for personal reasons. It'd probably go against all sorts of employment law for Finney to reveal that reason.

Both have been pressed on it, both have held counsel out of professionalism.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 8:38 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: