Notifications
Clear all

Sean Long

Page 1 / 3
(@steve-mcdonald)
Trusted Member

Left his role at Harlequins RU and linked with us, according to Gary Carter who's usually a fairly reliable source.

Topic starter Posted : 08/10/2020 3:52 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Would be a cracking appointment.

Highly rated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 3:54 pm
(@di-keith-fowler)
Trusted Member

If we pulled this off I think it would prove to be a very shrewd move. He's one of the few ex-players who can articulate the structure behind what happens on the field in both attack and defence. He seems a real student of the game which I would never have expected given his sometimes wild behaviour during his playing career. Surprised he's not gone for a head coach role at a SL club already.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 4:12 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

If only!  Depends if he has a job which would give him time and enough to live on, judging by the rumours around.  Maybe with Smithy as assistant and player?

He will have a few ready to offer him a position but he needs experience and we're not a bad place to start.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 4:24 pm
(@north-stand-utc)
Eminent Member

Would be an excellent appointment;

Winner-Yes

Coaching pedigree- Yes

Young Coach-Yes

Good links for loan players-Yes

On unrelated note, Sean Long has to be the most underrated players in british rugby league's history, easily the best half  back in SL history and for me, one of the greatest players these shores has produced.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 5:01 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Did he only play nine games for you? Just checked on Wiki, and that's what it says.

Seem to remember giving you a bit of a tonking, but with Long shining like a beacon in a Chemics' shirt.

Would be a good appointment for you.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 5:02 pm
(@north-stand-utc)
Eminent Member

Left his role at Harlequins RU and linked with us, according to Gary Carter who’s usually a fairly reliable source.

Interesting that many sites and journo's are using the word "linked" almost implying that they don't have any inside or relevant knowledge, they're simply speculating.

I am indeed skeptical and here is why, Why would Long leave Union now to join Widnes when the season doesn't start till March and that is still not set in stone and why would Widnes appoint manager when again, there still remains a huge clout of doubt that the season will resume anytime in the near distant future.

A few have said on here that there really isn't a need to appoint a manager so soon, for me Huddersfield remains the most plausible explanation as they're actively seeking a manager now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 5:18 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Could be he didn't fit in with the elite RU brigade. Could see him being unconventional and that worries some. He has been an assistant for long enough to want his own show with a bit of freedom to try his own methods.

But its all hope atm. When it gets onto the field we'll see. He would need a long pre season too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 5:28 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Left his role at Harlequins RU and linked with us, according to Gary Carter who’s usually a fairly reliable source.

Interesting that many sites and journo’s are using the word “linked” almost implying that they don’t have any inside or relevant knowledge, they’re simply speculating. I am indeed skeptical and here is why, Why would Long leave Union now to join Widnes when the season doesn’t start till March and that is still not set in stone and why would Widnes appoint manager when again, there still remains a huge clout of doubt that the season will resume anytime in the near distant future. A few have said on here that there really isn’t a need to appoint a manager so soon, for me Huddersfield remains the most plausible explanation as they’re actively seeking a manager now.

Would agree with this theory. Hull also looking for someone permanent don't forget.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 5:50 pm
(@di-keith-fowler)
Trusted Member

Interesting that many sites and journo’s are using the word “linked” almost implying that they don’t have any inside or relevant knowledge, they’re simply speculating. I am indeed skeptical and here is why, Why would Long leave Union now to join Widnes when the season doesn’t start till March and that is still not set in stone and why would Widnes appoint manager when again, there still remains a huge clout of doubt that the season will resume anytime in the near distant future. A few have said on here that there really isn’t a need to appoint a manager so soon, for me Huddersfield remains the most plausible explanation as they’re actively seeking a manager now.

The Union regular season has finished with Harlequins missing out on the play offs so he wouldn't have had much to do until next year anyway. There was talk of pre-season starting next month, looks unlikely with the season rumoured to begin in March but still, if you had the option you'd want someone in as soon as wouldn't you? Get talking with the players, advising on any further recruitment and getting his feet under the table.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 6:29 pm
 Owl
(@owl)
Trusted Member

Did he only play nine games for you? Just checked on Wiki, and that’s what it says. Seem to remember giving you a bit of a tonking, but with Long shining like a beacon in a Chemics’ shirt. Would be a good appointment for you. Spelly.

Signed for zilch by the then coach........his dad and sold after the nine games for £80,000...............good bit of business that...............think that`s how it went if memory is correct.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 7:06 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Did he only play nine games for you? Just checked on Wiki, and that’s what it says. Seem to remember giving you a bit of a tonking, but with Long shining like a beacon in a Chemics’ shirt. Would be a good appointment for you. Spelly.

Signed for zilch by the then coach……..his dad and sold after the nine games for £80,000……………good bit of business that……………think that`s how it went if memory is correct.

Thanks mate!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 7:23 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Lee Hansen to Wigan  with Long in return plus cash.Dark days around 97/98.Even the likes of Swinton were hammering us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 8:27 pm
(@north-stand-utc)
Eminent Member

But maybe you have to look at the financials, do Widnes need to get a new coach in soon from a playing perspective? yeah, but from a financial perspective, it wouldn't make much sense and also how much would Long command in terms of wages? I suppose Halequins would have paid him a decent wedge.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 9:08 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Seems a bit convenient to me that he goes from Quins and then is linked with the Widnes job.

Look, if he got it, fair enough a fantastic player and hopefully a good coach.

I can't see it though when Hudds and Hull need a coach. Let alone the financials.

Although to be honest, no one saw Sheens coming 12 months ago.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 10:02 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: