Estimable Member

I found this on the BBC Website.

Jonathan Davis Quiz

A bit of fun to pass the time.

Topic starter Posted : 28/04/2020 8:22 am
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Although it cost us an arm and leg to sign him, he was the most exciting player I’ve watched in a Widnes shirt.

Gifted, exceptional skills and natural talent - I was gutted when he went to Warrington in the early 1990’s as a result of another Widnes financial crisis.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 10:25 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Although it cost us an arm and leg to sign him, he was the most exciting player I’ve watched in a Widnes shirt. Gifted, exceptional skills and natural talent – I was gutted when he went to Warrington in the early 1990’s as a result of another Widnes financial crisis.

No doubting his talents but I have to say, his signing and subsequent contract renewals epitomised the pure stupidity and recklessness of the Widnes club at that time.

Signing him in 89 and having to play him on the wing because he wasn’t needed just proves the short sightedness of the committee and Doug. Especially when we had Spruce and Myers coming through at the same time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 11:53 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Pointless and expensive signing.We had already won the championship without him in 87/88 and he only played a bit part in the retaining of the championship in 88/89.We had Tony Myler at stand off and when he was injured David Hulme or Dowd would slot in.We had two rock solid centres who were never injured and we had Tait at full back.A lot of money for a utility player.Then the club went and re-signed him to a new contract even though the novelty had worn off and crowds were back to normal levels.I understand the club were desperate to avoid another big name leaving the club after Offiah had recently departed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 1:07 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

<p style="text-align: left;">I agree, the signing was just a Doug Laughton vanity project. If he hadn’t signed, would we have been any worser off? Absolutely not. Similarly, John Devo when we had one of the most exciting prospects in Dave Myers yet we let him leave to sign bigger named players on huge wages in comparison.</p>
Doug got off as he knew the money was running out and he wanted to continue to spend vast amounts of money like he did at Leeds. I do wonder if the turbulent collapse of the club could have been avoided. Instead of trying to compete with Wigan, should we have just accepted the status quo and cut costs earlier?

Interestingly, I was reading a book by Anthony Quin, it’s quite staggering how much our attendances use to fluctuate. Few weeks after becoming world champions we were attracting 4,500 crowds then a week later we’d attracted 12,000

Seemed to have been more arm-chair fans than I remembered.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 1:38 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

I'm glad we signed Davies, that team gave me my best memories as a Widnes fan.  2 Championships, 3 Premierships, a World Club Challenge and a trip to Wembley just before the wheels fell off.

Compare that to the SOC and Rule era. Went bust with the worst team in the league without winning anything.

It was well worth it for the memories and the reputation of the club in my opinion and I don't think it would have made any difference to the situation we found ourselves in 30 years down the line.

Finally if the club was going to overspend on wages I would rather see the money going to players who provided entertainment like Davies than providing directors salary and expenses.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 2:27 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I’m glad we signed Davies, that team gave me my best memories as a Widnes fan. 2 Championships, 3 Premierships, a World Club Challenge and a trip to Wembley just before the wheels fell off. Compare that to the SOC and Rule era. Went bust with the worst team in the league without winning anything. It was well worth it for the memories and the reputation of the club in my opinion and I don’t think it would have made any difference to the situation we found ourselves in 30 years down the line. Finally if the club was going to overspend on wages I would rather see the money going to players who provided entertainment like Davies than providing directors salary and expenses.

You could argue that spending only begin to rapidly increase after the 2nd league title hence why I believe it wasn’t needed as we were already a great side.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 2:32 pm
(@rafe-wrench)
Trusted Member

His signing was the biggest story in our game in the last 30 years, and probably 20 before that. Myers and Sprogger particularly would become very good players, but Davies had that all-time star dust, as did half a dozen others in that team.

The sums involved for a one-way journey north (as it then still was) seem trifling compared with the huge money paid since for players you can hardly remember.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 6:51 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

I’m glad we signed Davies, that team gave me my best memories as a Widnes fan. 2 Championships, 3 Premierships, a World Club Challenge and a trip to Wembley just before the wheels fell off.

Davies was'nt even here for the championship in 88 and played a minor role in the championship win of 89.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 8:12 pm
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

Bonus question,Where was he caught with a lady of the night ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2020 6:27 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Tight as a Gnats ring I believe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2020 1:02 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Although it cost us an arm and leg to sign him, he was the most exciting player I’ve watched in a Widnes shirt. Gifted, exceptional skills and natural talent – I was gutted when he went to Warrington in the early 1990’s as a result of another Widnes financial crisis.

Davies was clearly one hell of a talent but more exciting than Offiah? Really?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 10:19 pm
(@anotherposter)
Reputable Member

His signing was the biggest story in our game in the last 30 years, and probably 20 before that. Myers and Sprogger particularly would become very good players, but Davies had that all-time star dust, as did half a dozen others in that team. The sums involved for a one-way journey north (as it then still was) seem trifling compared with the huge money paid since for players you can hardly remember.

I'd go as far as to say his signing was the biggest story in the game full stop

It was the lead story on news at 10 for two days and the additional  interest generated probably paid for 50% of his contract in a couple of games

He also signed his second contract with us for far less than he was being offered elsewhere

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 10:53 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

He also signed his second contract with us for far less than he was being offered elsewhere

Does'nt sound like Davies.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 3:41 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

His signing was the biggest story in our game in the last 30 years, and probably 20 before that. Myers and Sprogger particularly would become very good players, but Davies had that all-time star dust, as did half a dozen others in that team. The sums involved for a one-way journey north (as it then still was) seem trifling compared with the huge money paid since for players you can hardly remember.

I’d go as far as to say his signing was the biggest story in the game full stop It was the lead story on news at 10 for two days and the additional interest generated probably paid for 50% of his contract in a couple of games He also signed his second contract with us for far less than he was being offered elsewhere

That’s the issue, “biggest story” , JD was a PR signing for RL and Widnes, Doug even said it in his book that JD was a “power move” by Widnes.

Widnes took the eye of the ball, when we should have been offering contracts to Terry O’Connor, we were signing NZ props instead. Doug got off and the club was in free fall. Widnes could have sustained their success without overspending on players they couldn’t afford.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/05/2020 11:18 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: