Huge Disappointment...

Notifications
Clear all

Huge Disappointment or Reality Check

(@erik-the-red)
Estimable Member

Following the Dewsbury game, which I have watched over now twice in some detail, it occurred to  me that their two halfbacks of 37 and 39 years respectively, did exactly the same thing to us last time we played Dewsbury away in MARCH 2020, as the fans who were there that night will recall.  They kicked us off the park!  The whole team last season out-muscled and out-enthused us over the 80 minutes and we could not get a real foothold in the game on that pitch of theirs.  Tim SHEENS was the coach then and moved LYONS to full-back during the game because of a re-shape mid match due to injuries, and LYONS knocked on the first kick along the ground which he faced from either FINN or SYKES.  Their second-rower KNOWLES was the best forward on the field that night and destroyed us down the middle, and when you have good half backs and big forwards all of this is possible when error-free rugby is played.  But, are we expecting too much off our side presently as much as we are living with the glorious history of the club, do we have the squad to actually be able to win these games in this league?  All clubs in this league have SOME good players, SOME experienced players at this and SL level, and also some players who are clearly past it - but can still influence a game with their skill, guile and know-now. Sometimes it is how you blend those together at this level.   We, too, have decent half backs on paper and also big forwards (certainly LAWTON, COOK, JOWETT, FARNWORTH and CLOUGH) - but not many of them have been available week in week out yet, hence the arrival of DORO.  Is it any wonder we are not able to put the half-backs in the position to cause damage near the line?   Is our squad weaker than some on here think?  I certainly feel that the marker defence has been the single worst aspect of our performances this season, so far.  Long minutes for props carrying injuries, no recognised hooker or loose forward at the season's start and inexperience in the three-quarters - what are we expecting?  Add to this, individual errors on the final kick plays which have cost us points in the final analysis in last few weeks, and the picture looks grim.  But we made 22 more tackles in the second half agst Dewsbury on the back of a 4-4 second half penalty count, which tells us the team are perhaps not as fit as they should be...........result is fan frustration.  Let us just remember this squad has just been involved in its fifth game together, and has had centre's playing second row, full backs playing loose forward, different hooker every game and hardly any props to call upon and the club apparently has no money - so let's be measured in how we assess the current position.  I know effort and commitment comes from within, too!  Just a few thoughts from Norway!

Topic starter Posted : 20/04/2021 5:20 pm
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

Both!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2021 8:10 pm
(@magnus)
Eminent Member

Possibly one of the issues is that many fans won't let go of the illustrious history and face the reality of what being a Widnes fan is all about these days i.e. false dawns, disappointments, mediocrity etc etc.

Who's the guy with the Widnes shirt which says 'We're not famous anymore' Spot on that fella.

I guess the issue is the expectation - it's the hope that kills you in the end, and hope is the last thing to die.  We have a part-time squad and can only expect so much from the players - for most I suspect this is more a hobby to supplement their real jobs. (Although I do admit, I was frustrated when we were full-time and getting a good hiding from part-timers)

It is good and right to aim high but we are where we are. The next few years will be rough - we may never se SL again but is that the end of the world - for some yes - for me personally no.

Trotting down to the match of a Sunday to rid myself of life's cares for 80 mins is the history and continuity I value most. And long may it last.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 3:34 pm
Gofyn
(@gofyn)
Estimable Member

Heard a great thing on the radio this morning about snooker being obsessed with the 80s and completely glossing over the fact of the new players are just as good. I would say Widnes was lucky rather than a big team.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 4:47 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

The amount of people who expect 1989 all over again is relatively small IMO.

However, given the history and the current size of the fanbase + facilities, there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for bottom end Championship Rugby.

The reality at the moment is not good and should not be settled for or accepted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 5:15 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

The amount of people who expect 1989 all over again is relatively small IMO. However, given the history and the current size of the fanbase + facilities, there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for bottom end Championship Rugby. The reality at the moment is not good and should not be settled for or accepted.

There is an interesting dynamic between precious success and our current situation. I have mentioned this on a previous thread but there Widnes fans who are disconnected from the club due to this issue. The vast majority of fans who attend have high but realistic expectations.

However, there’s a higher majesty of ex “Widnes” fans who haven’t been to the game in 20 years because they can’t relate to the club unless it was the cup kings of the 70s/80s.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 5:40 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

The amount of people who expect 1989 all over again is relatively small IMO. However, given the history and the current size of the fanbase + facilities, there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for bottom end Championship Rugby. The reality at the moment is not good and should not be settled for or accepted.

Couldn't agree more.Just because fans are frustrated at draws v Newcastle and defeats at home to Dewsbury doesn't mean they are living in the past.Most fans said that winning games in the Championship was better than drubbings every week in SL but even that is beyond us at the moment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 6:21 pm
(@lymm-viking)

A good post from Erik in Norway.   Those 2 Half Backs will play into their 40s on their tiny pitch.  Dewsbury played a simple brand of Rugby but looked fitter than our lads.  I`m not despondent - just realistic - We will finish half way ish.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 7:29 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Back to thread title, disappointed yes but reality check not sure

Not performed against dewsbury really, rest average

we will see in the next few weeks

onwards and upwards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 7:54 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

I'm not despondent – just realistic – We will finish half way ish.

Hope you are right.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 7:54 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Worth noting that York are being bigged up as the next big thing, as well as their coach - their last 6 Championship games? Lost all 6.

Despite everyone crowing about their all-star recruitment in the off-season, they've signed four players on loan in the last week.

Dewsbury have won 5 out of their last 6 too.

I also think it's possible to think the Newcastle and Dewsbury games were disappointing and unacceptable, without turning in to personal tirades against individuals at the club - which is unfortunately beyond certain people on here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 8:00 pm
(@wrlfcefc1989)
Estimable Member

James, this is a fans forum where do vent their frustration and blame people a the club but you are right is wrong to have a personal tirade. The disappoint for me is that despite a change in coach, players and a world wide pandemic, things like Spedding's defence hasn't been addressed, and we have been rolled over by Dewsbury again but this time at our place playing the same way as they did last time. Most people could see that our squad lack quality and depth before the start of the season, bringing an 18 year old who has 'played' hooker not is a hooker is ridiculous. We apparently had applicants for the head coach position from across but chose a man who has never held a coaches position in any club never mind a club where the expectancy level is far to high, if the club are not learning from the their mistakes how can we move forward? They need to stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Someone at the club has to take some sort of responsibility, if the coach or players are not up to the job who is to blame? But if the issues with the squad are not sorted we will lose more fan support as people will not watch a team losing week in and week out, we cant just say 'we didn't have a team two years ago.'

We seem to be in a downward spiral and its a worry that we may end up in a similar position that we were in back in the mid 90's.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 12:43 pm
 ma
(@ma)
Trusted Member

.....We apparently had applicants for the head coach position from across but chose a man who has never held a coaches position in any club never mind a club where the expectancy level is far to high.......

He was assistant coach at Leigh, then at Toronto and then Head Coach at Newcastle Thunder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 4:32 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member

…..We apparently had applicants for the head coach position from across but chose a man who has never held a coaches position in any club never mind a club where the expectancy level is far to high…….

He was assistant coach at Leigh, then at Toronto and then Head Coach at Newcastle Thunder.

Don't let the truth get in the way.......

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 5:54 pm
Share: