fixture suspension

Notifications
Clear all

fixture suspension

Page 1 / 2
(@glynn)
Honorable Member

The Rugby Football League and Super League Europe today announce a suspension of fixtures in the Betfred Super League season, initially until 3rd April, during which time the season’s structure and fixture rescheduling will be considered.

This follows the latest Government advice regarding social contact and mass gatherings.

The Super League clubs discussed a range of contingency plans with the RFL at their board meeting in Huddersfield, and the situation will be reviewed with broadcasters and sponsors throughout the initial suspension.

These changes will also apply across other competitions including the Championship, League 1, Betfred Women’s Super League and the community game, with the RFL to have further discussions of the implications at meetings of Championship and League 1 clubs and community board over the next couple of days.

Joint statement from Robert Elstone, the Executive Chairman of Super League Europe, and Ralph Rimmer, CEO of Rugby Football League: “These are unprecedented times, and they present significant financial and commercial implications for Rugby League, which will be further considered during the period of suspension.

“Super League is also an international competition, and consideration has to be given to our clubs in Canada and France, particularly around travel restrictions and scheduling fixtures.

“Player welfare and maintaining the integrity of the competition are key concerns moving forward. Equally our responsibilities to Rugby League communities remain front of mind for all of us.

“The whole country is facing major challenges – and the support of our fans, partners and stakeholders is needed now more than ever before.”

Topic starter Posted : 16/03/2020 6:42 pm
 doc
(@doc)
Eminent Member

Sensible decision.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/03/2020 7:26 pm
(@di-keith-fowler)
Trusted Member

Was expected at some point. Stay safe everyone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/03/2020 8:47 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Sorry disagree rfl being forced by media pressure

ok last week for 250,000 people from all over Europe to attend Cheltenham and now 2000 northerners cannot get together for a tribal ritual

will be the end of a few clubs this

next step close the pubs, many of them will not reopen

the only sport on is horse racing, MT will lose a fortune !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/03/2020 9:46 pm
(@gunner)

Just seen on the tele, that all horse racing has been suspended, so you can
save your money.

gunner

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2020 1:16 pm
 RB
(@rb)
Estimable Member

Sorry disagree rfl being forced by media pressure ok last week for 250,000 people from all over Europe to attend Cheltenham and now 2000 northerners cannot get together for a tribal ritual will be the end of a few clubs this next step close the pubs, many of them will not reopen the only sport on is horse racing, MT will lose a fortune !

I'm not so sure it was Media Pressure. Although I don't think the Media in general are not being particularly helpful in this terrible situation for the Country as a whole. I personally am going to give the Government the benefit of the doubt it's a bad situation nobody knows how it will turn out. They appear to be following Medical Advice and to be doing their best.

The RFL followed Government Advice. When Government Advice changed so did the RFL stance. I agree with you the game as a whole is in danger and we may see the demise of some our clubs. Hopefully Government Assistance will extend to our Sport we will probably need it.

Fingers crossed. Everyone stay safe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2020 6:35 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Phil Finney on the Radio earlier saying that he feels we are in an fairly good position, given the fixtures and compared to a number of other clubs, even in SL.

But at the end of the day, who really knows when we will kick-off again?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2020 6:37 pm
(@di-keith-fowler)
Trusted Member

Sorry disagree rfl being forced by media pressure ok last week for 250,000 people from all over Europe to attend Cheltenham and now 2000 northerners cannot get together for a tribal ritual will be the end of a few clubs this next step close the pubs, many of them will not reopen the only sport on is horse racing, MT will lose a fortune !

That would be a good point if it wasn't for the fact that everything's shutting down. I agree though Cheltenham shouldn't have gone forward.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2020 8:07 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Thanks doctor Keith, whilst you are about can you give me a consultation so as to reduce the pressure on the NHS ?

I have developed an itch in an area I would not like one, can you please advise ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2020 8:54 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

nobody knows, there are too many imponderables. The only clubs that are secure are those with a sugar daddy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2020 9:03 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

You never know we could revert to winter rugby , which would include playing in February !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2020 6:35 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

You never know we could revert to winter rugby , which would include playing in February !

I think we may need to play until later in October or beyond , maybe start the season late Feb the following year, but again who knows?

Would people prefer a return to the old winter season anyway, or not?

FWIW, I actually quite liked the old NFP season December-July.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2020 11:27 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

If TWP survives and joined by the likes of Ottawa and New York, the season could be changed to start in April!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/03/2020 1:00 pm
 am
(@am)

we are the sugar daddy through viqi   most teams do not have that support

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2020 8:14 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

That’s something of an exaggeration. Not as good as the top sides but far far from the worst.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2020 10:02 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: