Notifications
Clear all

Recruitment 2023

Page 5 / 8
(@griffin1)
Estimable Member

I see that Gareth Widdop is being linked with a possible move to the Championship and Bradford and Halifax are the club's mentioned .

If Smith hangs up his boots , could Widdop be the half back we would require . To be a challenger in our division (in my opinion ) , we need to trade in quite a few of our current squad for better models.

I have faith in Kear's ability to build a squad capable of competing in the Championship and improving some of our current squad , but short of a fairy god mother , it will not happen overnight.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 3:31 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

@griffin1 widdop would be a great addition to any championship squad but I doubt we could afford him if we have committed to Gilmore 

he would probably demand 45-50k a year. I would think with him being at warrington he might want to stay local?

it’s definitely going to be interesting to see who we sign for next season

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 4:49 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

@mckeeverviking 

With a name like Gareth he should be in the Welsh squad and open to JK's silver tongue, assisted also by team mate Amor! Always a chance paying massive bucks to one player who may get injured in the first game!

Big investment has to be in solid pack men, without that we will go nowhere. I suspect that JK and Finney will have already set out their stall and been lining up signings much like last year. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 7:26 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

@sandgroper like jack Owens! We need to start preparing for a new squad who want to win promotion, I’d say over half the squad would be happy finishing mid table as they wouldn’t be super league players

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 7:36 pm
Pascal reacted
(@pascal)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @mckeeverviking

Apparently we are spending twice as much next season taking the budget up to around 450k

i don’t know how much Amor is asking for probably around 35k, JJ & Gilmore around 30k 

I hope with the increased budget we can also get a few more quality players, keeping around 70% of current squad giving us a bigger squad. I’d like to see Roberts retained and another big center m, I’d say wingers are probably not priority as we have lots of cover 

Doubling our spend I am hoping we buy wisely and in this division we want to get a dominate pack. Then a good 1, 3,4,6, 7 and 9 is priority. Then wingers can get average ones like Ince and Edge will get tries no problem. Glad Kear is spending it rather than Finnigan 😂👍🥖🥖

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/08/2022 9:45 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

@pascal with Owens as captain and roby/ Fleming we probably won’t be looking for another fullback 

I agree we could do with another center if we retain roberts 

if rumors are true we get Gilmore they’ll probably go with him at 7 craven at 6 and jj&fozzard at 9 with Lyons reserve 

I think the pack needs the attention more than anything with Amor and walker coming in we could do with some hard working back rowers who can put in a shift and are if better quality than we currently have 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2022 10:01 pm
(@pascal)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @mckeeverviking

@pascal with Owens as captain and roby/ Fleming we probably won’t be looking for another fullback 

I agree we could do with another center if we retain roberts 

if rumors are true we get Gilmore they’ll probably go with him at 7 craven at 6 and jj&fozzard at 9 with Lyons reserve 

I think the pack needs the attention more than anything with Amor and walker coming in we could do with some hard working back rowers who can put in a shift and are if better quality than we currently have 

Sorry I worded it incorrectly and I was meaning the pivotal positions to be strong. Some big props, Second rowers and another hooker to help Fozzard out. Lyons should be third choice for hooker and half back as I don't really rate him. I probably get rid of Lyons and get another player if possible. Fullback probably covered as Flemming and Roby are strong enough, and still unsure if Tubbs Owens is fit enough. Get our forwards on top of teams we could have a good season and size will help in this league.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/08/2022 6:03 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

@pascal 

I would say that Owens is as fit as any tbh, and as experienced in many ways. We have never had a stand out pack since the glory days and in the Championship that is essential.

We have played second rows as props for ages and while that makes it a mobile pack it doesn't tax the opposition as much weight for weight. But nobody kows this more than JK and I am sure that he will have it covered.

Just hope that it's sooner rather than later, so we can all rest easy!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2022 7:53 am
Pascal reacted
(@the-ghost-of-ethel)
Estimable Member

@Mckeeverviking

I heard that Roberts had signed for Leeds for next year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2022 8:15 am
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member
  1. @the-ghost-of-ethel oh well, good luck to the lad. Looks like we need 2 new quality centers then 
ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2022 1:48 pm
(@the-ghost-of-ethel)
Estimable Member

Inu will be available for next season, would be great to welcome him back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2022 1:51 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

@the-ghost-of-ethel I’d be very surprised if he would come back after the way he was treated

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2022 4:06 pm
(@cumbria-viking)
Reputable Member

Cant see inu entertaining us at all...pretty much shoved out the door last time around thanks to Jimmy and his made contracts ...think he'll most likely land at toulouse 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2022 6:04 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

@cumbria-viking yes I can see this, his wife is French so makes sense

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2022 6:42 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Looking at NewsNow there seems to be a lot of activity with Bradford and Keighly beefing up their squads.

Just hope that we have some irons in the fire!!! Just wonder what contracts the likes of Ione (Leigh) and King (Whitehaven) must be on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/08/2022 12:04 pm
Pascal reacted
Page 5 / 8
Share: