Improvements requir...

Notifications
Clear all

Improvements required in 2025

Page 2 / 2
(@sandgroper)
Famed Member

@pascal 

There aren't that many Moran's in SL never mind Championship tbh!

Craven had stagnated at Widnes and was too predictable, the move probably helped him change his game a bit.

In all probability our 'game' next year will be more conventional with a big pack and a grinding predictability, unless a new ball player is discovered. Fans seem to want 'wins' more than flair and it may be how you win fans over.

Sadly  most old stagers, like me, have seen better days and long for a re-play!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2024 6:56 am
Pascal and BEGG reacted
 BEGG
(@begg)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @mckviking

I don’t know how much of a done deal the Patton signing is but as said before we need competition for places. We keep talking about the old fans not coming back but we really should be looking how as a club we can attract the next generation of fans, the club has started the process of building a youth system and that’s a great positive for the club and I believe one way we can generate the next generation of fans. 

MckViking I agree we need to get the new generation interested as we can not control older fans on their choices of Golf, Cycling and many other hobbies than rugby. The youth development is definitely going in the right direction and next season I am buying 2 or 3 Child Season pass it on scheme to help in my part. £26 for a child could mean a season ticket for another adult of £200 to £300 depending on selection of seating. Football season tickets are near to £1000 in the Premier league, so not that bad of a cost. The WVIPS is great but need more fans to get a higher amount of members, and every little amount helps the club. People can do these schemes even if fans who live abroad or far away like myself. I only go a handful of games due to my work commitments and living 200 miles away. Once we establish being a top 6 side we will come close to the 3k average with decent marketing. This is more than most teams in the league and hopefully goal posts will change again in the future for our benefit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2024 8:33 am
Mckviking and Pascal reacted
(@pascal)
Noble Member

Posted by: @sandgroper

@pascal 

There aren't that many Moran's in SL never mind Championship tbh!

Craven had stagnated at Widnes and was too predictable, the move probably helped him change his game a bit.

In all probability our 'game' next year will be more conventional with a big pack and a grinding predictability, unless a new ball player is discovered. Fans seem to want 'wins' more than flair and it may be how you win fans over.

Sadly  most old stagers, like me, have seen better days and long for a re-play!!!!

Agreed mate it is a results business and fans look at this to support a team. 👌👍

A big pack and grinding the opposition down is imperative mate. We are not far off as a team just need a few extra players and dual in an emergency. I noticed on the last game only 1 loan player used and good to see this mate. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/09/2024 10:57 am
(@jeffjonno)
Estimable Member

@dan1 I've watched from afar this year after having a season ticket for many years in Super League and the Championship and although I've been made up with the way the season has gone for the club I have to admit I've had no real desire to return to watch live because I have a general apathy towards the game as a whole,I think over the last few years the game has dropped in real quality especially at Super League level and with the constant change in the structure I think people who were committed RL supporters no longer have a connection with the game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2024 12:53 pm
Widnes77 reacted
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @mckviking

I don’t know how much of a done deal the Patton signing is but as said before we need competition for places. We keep talking about the old fans not coming back but we really should be looking how as a club we can attract the next generation of fans, the club has started the process of building a youth system and that’s a great positive for the club and I believe one way we can generate the next generation of fans. 

Unless we get Widnes Lads playing for Widnes, then there's no point of us having a team in the town.

We need this Elite Development Academy to come good. Steve Tyrer and his helpers have done great things in a short space of time. If it falls flat then RL in Widnes is 'done'.

Up the Chemical Viking Youth.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2024 3:36 pm
Mckviking reacted
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Joey Romeo rumoured to be signing from Haven.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2024 5:23 pm
Halfback Ragnarsson
(@halfback-ragnarsson)
Estimable Member

From "Yorkshire Live"

"Widnes Vikings look set to secure another former Swinton Lions player to their squad for 2025 in the shape of Whitehaven outside back Joey Romeo. Rugby League Live understands the Vikings have targeted the Australian, who coach Allan Coleman knows well from his time at the Lions.

A utility outside back, Romeo arrived in the UK last year to join the Lions having come through the ranks at North Sydney Bears. In his first season at Championship level he scored five tries in 19 games before making his way to Cumbria.

The 24-year-old has continued to score tries this year, bagging seven in 22 appearances for the struggling Cumbria club. But now a reunion with Coleman appears on the cards, with Widnes also set to sign another Whitehaven player in Jake Maizen for 2025.

Coleman is believed to have signed a number of current Swinton players for next year in the shape of Gavin Bennion and Lewis Hall while Nick Gregson, Rhodri Lloyd and Mike Butt all made the same move last year. Dec Patton, who started the season at Swinton, is expected to be a Widnes player next year too.

Widnes have had a strong first season under Coleman's watch and are on course to reach the play-offs for the first time since they were relegated to the Championship back in 2018. They are currently fourth in the table with three games to go, though just one point ahead of the next three teams, York, Featherstone and Sheffield."

Bennion tends to play front row, Hall has been playing at loose recently.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2024 11:46 pm
Mckviking reacted
(@sandgroper)
Famed Member

Certainly sounds as if AC is cherry picking players that he knows (and probably can rely on).

Add pace to his choices (Maizen/Romeo?) and it would be progress.

There is still nothing like real pace to get speccies standing up! Even Joey Lyons pace catching their runaway winger got an excellent reaction.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2024 9:21 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: