Notifications
Clear all

2025 crystal ball

Page 1 / 2
(@cumbria-viking)
Reputable Member

As we've all been caught on the hop a little by this week's departures of Dixon and walker and the fact they weren't going to be retained ...what are people's views on how many others are likely to not be offered new contracts...I'm not sure there'll be any radical changes for next season ..bar the two that have already gone I can't think of too many more ... personally I think Roby won't stay..I think that'd be wrong but for whatever reason Coleman just doesn't rate him ...be surprised if brooks gets another deal ..and also Fleming ...other than that I can't see any other changes ...this isn't a personal attack on individuals .. just an opinion...thoughts on ins n outs ??

Topic starter Posted : 04/07/2024 11:56 pm
(@geoffw)
Noble Member

Gregson should be the first shown the door. He offers nothing, & does nothing, often leaves the field injured. One of the worst players ever to wear our jersey while I have been supporting over 66 years!

I'd keep Roby definitely at least for utility cover.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2024 2:01 am
(@mckviking)
Noble Member

Roby may leave to get regular playing time

i can’t get to games as living abroad but gregson must bring something to the table 

walker and Dixon would have stayed until the end of the season if they wanted to but obviously they showed a desire to leave for other contracts and that’s ok.

it frees up money for the players who we are looking at for next season. 

depending on how brand goes I think we could offer him a contract, rumors for next season maizen as a centre could contradict that 

we don’t have the money for a FT squad and with attendances maybe lower than predicted that can affect the budget 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2024 4:05 am
(@sandgroper)
Famed Member

To be honest the whole shambles that RL ha become makes even diehards wonder whether there is any point in Championship rugby at all. Multi dual reg/loanees etc all looks very much like a playground pick up! Very amateur and gives regular supporters very little to be 'loyal' to apart from the name!

Add to that we have the start of the season quickly followed by the signings for next season!!!!! What a joke, cheering on players that you know are on their way soon having no ties to the club !!!!

What it does do is to encourage you to just watch games on the TV as a casual observer!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2024 9:11 am
alanC reacted
(@alanc)
Estimable Member

@sandgroper No further news on stays and goes as of yet, so I guess it's going to be a wait and see scenario.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2024 9:54 am
Martin
(@martin)
Noble Member

I don't want to put a damper on it but I'm 73 and not a bit interested in next year, I want to see this year out with a competitive team that will get us in the playoffs and win that or at least have a good go at it. WHY does this mid season blues only hit us!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2024 10:59 am
Pensioner and alanC reacted
(@quincy1)
Estimable Member

@martin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2024 11:10 am
(@ceejay1)
Reputable Member

We want the results on the field THIS SEASON.   Without a rich sponsor we will never be able to match the well off clubs even in the Championship.   There is no chance of us getting into the SL unless it is increased to 20 clubs.    I, for one, do not want to see my club being hammered week in, week out by clubs who are fortunate to have a rich sponsor. I would much rather watch where we are as I have done for over 70 years. I did enjoy the SL games when we could hold our own but without money and bigger gates that is nigh on impossible at the moment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2024 11:38 am
ScouseViking55 and alanC reacted
(@sandgroper)
Famed Member

@martin

I am 84 but all the talk with signings is about 2025, which somehow detracts rom this years game tbh!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2024 10:05 am
Halfback Ragnarsson
(@halfback-ragnarsson)
Estimable Member

I'm 56, and I was enjoying this season for the first time since relegation. The Batley loss got under my skin because we should have known better. I don't know how any team would cope with the injuries sustained at Swinton.

I am interested in future signings as even though we have done better this year, and we have, I wanted to see how we build on that for next season. It has to be both the current performance and the new signings really.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2024 10:55 am
Martin
(@martin)
Noble Member

Posted by: @sandgroper

@martin

I am 84 but all the talk with signings is about 2025, which somehow detracts rom this years game tbh!!!!

Exactly. I want a winning team now, totally not interested in next season until it arrives!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2024 12:10 pm
(@Anonymous)

Difficult times people ,we are underfunded compared to clubs with a sugar daddy

this season we need to make the playoffs and move on

onwards and upwards 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2024 3:40 pm
(@geoffw)
Noble Member

After yesterday & 6 injuries I think once again we will have to concentrate on 3  big, good forwards including 2 props.  Langtree won us the game at Dewsbury & yesterday he scored one try & made the other.  This latest injury may decide his future. I hope he recovers & we keep him 1 more year. I think we can afford 1 injury prone player. Reilly & Kirk are contracted as proos but lost Tilleke & Walker.

We also need a half back (but that may have been addressed if rumours are true) & a big fast penetrative centre. 

So concluding from that I think 3to 4 more players could go but I do not want to name them halfway through a season as I do not think that would be right.

I know I named one previously on this thread, on reflection wrongly. but I do not think Coleman will let him go as he favours him.

This post was modified 3 months ago by geoffw
ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2024 9:49 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Obviously lost Tilleke, Walker and Dixon.

I’d be looking to offload: Fleming, Langtree (injuries), Gregson, Bent.

Recruit Patten, Lannon and then a centre (Brand?) and 2 new props.

7 out and 4/5 in. The only way to increase the quality of our squad with our budget is to run with a smaller squad and, unfortunately, use dual reg/longer term loans during the season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2024 9:40 am
(@Anonymous)

Sorry would keep Fleming and langtree if fit looks like we have Lannon?
and the Whitehaven centre coming in and Patton - which I am not sure will help

would keep bent if he cheap enough

props will be Reilly,Murray,Kirk, brooks and field

need a bigger squad than this year 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2024 4:41 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: