Notifications
Clear all

2022 wishlist

Page 2 / 7
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Just been reported we’re after loose forward Aaron Brown from Sheffield and winger Brad Holroyd from Workington.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2021 3:44 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

“…..Tompkins is reportedly the clubs highest earner and hasn’t played a single game….” So far as paying him whilst he is long-term injured, wouldn’t that be covered by an insurance policy?

I asked Chris Price this after the meeting on Monday, and he said that the insurance wouldn't pay Tompkins wages for next season, if he can't play.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2021 4:22 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Brown looks a bit light at 14 stone, probably same as Smithy? Looks like Holdroyd is on Leigh books unless he was allowed to go.

Else was looking promising when he got that knock - worth keeping. Spelly may know more about Bennion, who looks about the right size!

Lawton has done more with us than anywhere that he has been before, be sorry to see him go, there's more there yet.

Is Matty Smith signed for next year? Thought that he might be taken onto coaching staff or player/coach role.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2021 4:26 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Brown looks a bit light at 14 stone, probably same as Smithy? Looks like Holdroyd is on Leigh books unless he was allowed to go. Else was looking promising when he got that knock – worth keeping. Spelly may know more about Bennion, who looks about the right size! Lawton has done more with us than anywhere that he has been before, be sorry to see him go, there’s more there yet. Is Matty Smith signed for next year? Thought that he might be taken onto coaching staff or player/coach role.

He looked the real deal with us, and I honestly thought he could make the move up to SL, but............

He went the other way, and signed for 'Ornits, for reasons that I've been told, but would prefer not to reveal on here, but........

He's defo got the talent, and I'd have him back in a heartbeat, but.............

If (when?) we go down, we'd hardly be in a position to tempt him back, but.........

He could do a job for you no prob.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2021 4:49 pm
(@blue-viking)
Estimable Member

Holroyd and brown the names not mentioned before are the ones I was expecting to surface both sensible signings in there own right, Holroyd top try scorer in league 1 for Workington looks to have a good turn of pace.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2021 5:22 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Brown and Holroyd seem like two sensible signings, Brown I had erased from my memory as the scorer of a hat-trick against us in the final and Holroyd is apparently the top tryscorer in the league below so a direct replacement for Cross.

Hope it is the case that Kenny Baker is being seen more as a prop option than he is leaving as he has been our best forward again this year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2021 5:25 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

Holdroyd makes sense as he was at Saints academy, most of our squad are made up of ex Saints or Widnes academy players, including Cross who he is replacing.  Signed a 1 year deal for Workington from Leigh last year. Makes sense for him as stepping up a division and much more local for him.

Brown is an interesting one, always played in Yorkshire but home town is Oldham. He's not a big 2nd row type, 5"10 and 14 stone, also played centre and in the halves for Sheffield. So seems like a genuine loose forward rather than a back rower. I like Baker at loose forward though, think he's better suited to that position than prop.

The article about them signing is now in the Manchester Evening News which also says more signings to follow. Its early days, the only concern for me so far is our forward pack isn't big enough and so far the 2 forwards we have signed (Wilde and Brown) are both small for forwards.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2021 6:29 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Baker's switch to prop was of necessity but he is more of a threat at loose, behind a big pack he would be really dangerous. Hope that the temporary switch hasn't put him off.

Brown sounds more like a hooker in size and character. Along with Else and Hulme could liven up our ptb.

We are all waiting for bulky props though.

Got to say that if Lawton goes Leighward ( hopefully a scam) he would have to be rougher and tougher to please Degsy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2021 7:27 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Just popped up on Newsnow that the SL clubs have binned the RFL proposal of two SL 's of 10. Didn't like splitting reduced funding at all!

No mention of next year's Champ funding of course.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2021 7:35 pm
(@aceaceace)

Holdroyd makes sense as he was at Saints academy, most of our squad are made up of ex Saints or Widnes academy players, including Cross who he is replacing.

He was on a dual reg agreement at Saints academy I'm pretty sure to just get games. He was in Leighs first team squad at the time but has a similar background to Deon really in playing a lot of amateur rugby rather than being a product of an academy system.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2021 8:15 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Amor is a done deal Chapelhows supposed to be coming back In talks with mullally but he is demanding big money Cross is going salford Lawton is going to leigh I would be trying to get bennion

Conversation has been had with Chapelhows but nothing more.

Lawton to Leigh could have legs given the signing of Wilde.

Don't see much chance of Mullally given his lifestyle, he turned down a move to London Broncos recently.

Bennion is one of a handful of Swinton/Oldham/Rochdale players worth a look at.

Aaron Brown from Sheffield is certainly a left-field signing, but shows perhaps Finnigan wanting to put his stamp on team. Shame we couldn't get the Aaron Brown from Batley too!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2021 9:57 pm
(@spideylizard)
Estimable Member

Baker’s switch to prop was of necessity but he is more of a threat at loose, behind a big pack he would be really dangerous. Hope that the temporary switch hasn’t put him off. Brown sounds more like a hooker in size and character. Along with Else and Hulme could liven up our ptb. We are all waiting for bulky props though. Got to say that if Lawton goes Leighward ( hopefully a scam) he would have to be rougher and tougher to please Degsy.

Props and loose are the same position normally nowadays. Matty Smith there is an outlier compared to most teams

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2021 5:04 am
(@d-day)
Estimable Member

Hope we dont sign the Chaplehows, would be step back IMO.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2021 8:52 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

The Chapelhows would have been a useful addition to the squad this year. Maybe decent squad players and young enough at 26 to improve their game at prop.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2021 9:40 am
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Hope we dont sign the Chaplehows, would be step back IMO.

I don’t rate the Chapelhow’s one bit, but not sure how they’re a step back. We literally only have 2 fit props, both of which are kids. The Chapelhow’s will be better than nothing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2021 9:43 am
Page 2 / 7
Share: