Notifications
Clear all

2022 Squad so far

Page 4 / 7
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

Quite happy with the signings & rumoured ones for 2022 so far. I am a bit concerned though that only Dupree so far, & only rumoured at this point, is a prop. We need 2 more.  May be worth seeing if Saints would loan Norman back to us  as surely Championship rugby is better for him than reserve football.  I appreciate we may have already done this unsuccessfully but maybe not? There are 5 months before next season starts but I feel if props were sorted earlier rather than later it could mean more season tickets being sold than announcing good back or hooker signings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2021 7:28 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

would of give give him a year, 2 makes him feel safe

Players feeling secure at the club being the one thing we desperately need to avoid eh ?

I think Lawton re-signing is a good thing. Judged by elite level standards he would be below average but at the Championship level he is very useful, particularly if used properly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 4:26 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I’m happy with centre and wing options taking into account the suspected signings.

We need at least 3/4 new “dogs of war props” but I think what we really need is a new half back. I don’t rate Smith at all, Craven has lost his mojo and has been poor and Lyons shouldn’t be a started imo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 7:37 am
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

I’d agree a really good scrum half and some quality props would put us in a much stronger position. 3/4 line isn’t bad at all, would like to see Hatton retained as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 9:54 am
(@pascal)
Prominent Member

Pascal would like 2 experienced props signed, as Cook on the injury prone side now. Jewitt was a waste of a signing and it was a shame about Tomkins foot injury, but this should free up money if get rid of these two. Clough and Jayden Hatton I would like to be signed from the current squad and gutted Deon Cross is leaving though. On summary the club are going in the right direction with signings and new players I feel a new scrum half, 2 big props and possibly one more Secondrower to replace Grady, especially as he always goes to his other job. 😂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 10:38 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Our half backs have struggled with a lack of heavy forward cover. You can't accept the lack of forward power but criticise the halves!

When our pack have performed so have the backs and that is how it goes in most 'teams'. Lawton has more to give yet, maybe with a stronger pack around him?

I may be wrong but I suspect that Hatton or another back, may be on his way, hence the signing of additional back strength.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 11:18 am
(@wirralviking)
Estimable Member

To join the general theme from most posters, our recruitment will stand or fall by the number and quality of the props we are able to recruit, The absence of numbers and size in the front row (and on the bench) has cost us dearly this season. I'm sure we can put together a decent enough set of backs, despite losing Cross, but if we cant secure some additional props, who have size and reliability, then it doesn't much matter who is in the backline. A strong pack leader and/or a yappy halfback/hooker snapping at the heels of Adam Lawton (and others) to keep him involved, breaking tackles and slipping the ball away, would be handy too. OK he can be lazy, but at this level he can also be very effective and that's what we need to make the most of. Not sure how much of a talker Fozzard is but if he signs as he is rumoured to be doing and he can keep us moving forward then great!

Not sure how many prop signing announcements are "embargoed" as a courtesy to the current host clubs, but a few such announcements would ease the concerns of many of us fans! We simply cannot afford another underperforming season or the fanbase will dwindle even further!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 5:44 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

On the positive side we have reputably signed decent quality players who will probably have others competing for their signatures. They will hopefully know some of their squad for next year and been encouraged.

On that basis we have to wait and see our new team unfold.

An off field strength and conditioning squad has to be ready for next season to get the most out of our team.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 6:11 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Made up with the signing of Fozard, who I think has looked excellent every time he's played against us.

Be interesting to see whether he's being lined up to play hooker or half-back. Perhaps that will depend on whether Smith stays (or is offered to stay)

With Cross leaving, crucial I think to retain Hatton. I wonder if Fleming and Spedding may interchange between centre and wing.

Starting 13 based on the rumours and confirmed retentions so far: Owens, Fleming, Spedding, Tyrer, Holroyd, Craven, Fozard, Farnworth, Tomkins(!), Dupree, Lawton, Wilde, Baker.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2021 11:47 am
Martin
(@martin)
Prominent Member

Made up with the signing of Fozard, who I think has looked excellent every time he’s played against us. Be interesting to see whether he’s being lined up to play hooker or half-back. Perhaps that will depend on whether Smith stays (or is offered to stay) With Cross leaving, crucial I think to retain Hatton. I wonder if Fleming and Spedding may interchange between centre and wing. Starting 13 based on the rumours and confirmed retentions so far: Owens, Fleming, Spedding, Tyrer, Holroyd, Craven, Fozard, Farnworth, Tomkins(!), Dupree, Lawton, Wilde, Baker.

That team seems a decent set of lads and should compete well in the Championship but that question mark over Tomkins is a big ask I'm afraid

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2021 12:11 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

No Ince, James!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2021 12:23 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

My take on this is, on the whole, if we are recruiting from teams below us in the league, then we are recruiting worse players than we already have. Players that are used to finishing on the losing side. We need to be looking at FT SL players wanting to move into another career, but still WANT to play at a semi-pro standard. A Kyle Amor, perhaps.

The Jury is out.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2021 12:51 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Surely its about judgement of the individual player or SL sides would never sign Championship players.

In recent outings Amor has looked like a player filling a space, not one still enjoying the impact.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2021 1:43 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

Surely its about judgement of the individual player or SL sides would never sign Championship players. In recent outings Amor has looked like a player filling a space, not one still enjoying the impact.

It's a bit different cherry picking decent semi-pros, to move to a FT environment (a gamble, yes). Semi-pro to semi-pro is just like for like.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2021 5:08 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

My take on this is, on the whole, if we are recruiting from teams below us in the league, then we are recruiting worse players than we already have. Players that are used to finishing on the losing side. We need to be looking at FT SL players wanting to move into another career, but still WANT to play at a semi-pro standard. A Kyle Amor, perhaps. The Jury is out. Paulie xx

But isn't that what Cook, Jewitt, Smith, Tomkins were?

Kyle Amor would be great, but I can't imagine there'll be much more than 1 or 2 of him each season.

Giving opportunities to young lads (like Fleming and Holroyd), who presumably still have aspirations of making it to SL, to put them in shop window (and maybe take us with them!) is surely a good route (ala Cross) too.

A mix of both probably the answer. The trouble has been this season, we had 5 ex-SL pros - and only two have really contributed (Clough/Smith). A big shame for Cook, whose heart is in the right place for sure, just hasn't been able to adjust from being FT to PT in terms of match fitness.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2021 5:38 pm
Page 4 / 7
Share: