Notifications
Clear all

2021 Squad

Page 5 / 18
(@coulton)

Matt Cook is a great signing, and it would be wonderful if we could offload the Chapelhow twins to Ottowa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 8:29 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

No offense but I'd let Tim decide who is worth keeping or losing. He is renowned as a judge of hidden talent and we should rely on that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 9:03 pm
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

After theToronto revelations, I hope anyone going to Ottawa gets some cast iron assurances.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 9:39 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

Maybe some players arnt being retained rather than leaving, who knows? I would be very careful signing for Ottawa with all that's going on in the world at the moment, uncertainty and the Toronto debacle. It may well turn out to be a very short term thing there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 10:42 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

That is the point Dan1, much will depend in individual circumstances, particularly post Covid. Those with a reasonable employment situation would be wise to stick imo.

There maybe some to whom a sizeable cash offer plus at chance to taste life in Canada would be attractive - anyone who remembers being young can surely see that! The major element there, however, is as Steve says to be sure that the cash is actually guaranteed!

From Cook's comments Widnes atm is still an attractive RL option. He has been around and knows the game on and off the field, and that encourages me to believe in our club once again. We haven't got a bottomless bag of money but we have more to offer than just cash.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 10:57 am
(@scouseviking55)
Reputable Member

Spedding new 2 year deal not overly surprised we resigned him but 2 years I'm surprised about

Personally thought he lacked discipline in the ruck wasn't the best tackler

But he's got decent pace and an eye for the line so we'll have to see how he goes next year

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 11:34 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Spedding re-signed on a two year deal. Another good signing quoting the club's aspirations and  Tim Sheens being here as reasons for wanting to sign for Widnes.

Regarding the Chapelhows, I would give them credit for their support for the team coming out of administration. They do seem to be lacking some aggression,   but I thought that working under Sheens could only improve their game all round.

I would be happy if they stayed for another year, but would wish them luck if the suggested move to Ottawa happens. It might be short-term if RFL decide to abandon NA expansion, but worth the challenge if a young player can get a better deal and a year in Ottawa (well a few months over the season). I think they could be a bonus to Ottawa in promoting the game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 11:45 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Ottawa is north of Toronto so possibly even colder!

The Chaps have time on their side plus it could depend on what TS sees as hidden ability. I recall the he was impressed with Dwyer's game reading sbilty for instance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 12:01 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Spedding new 2 year deal not overly surprised we resigned him but 2 years I’m surprised about Personally thought he lacked discipline in the ruck wasn’t the best tackler But he’s got decent pace and an eye for the line so we’ll have to see how he goes next year

Bit surprised he’s got a two year deal too, but think this is what’s needed. Stability and the chance the build over the next couple of years.

Wont be a quick fix getting out of the championship

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 12:52 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Spedding is a decent enough player with time on his side, be interesting to see what happens with Roby and the Tyrer rumour. Need 3 good options at centre.

As for the twins, they've played over 140 games for the club between them. They are decent but don't make enough of their size. If they do go, a change may do Widnes and themselves good. We would need to bring in at least 2 new props in addition to Cook if the twins go, even 3, and I wonder whether we can get better options for similar money.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 12:53 pm
(@ringo-bells)
Trusted Member

I notice Jake said that Sheens is here for another year in the read up on the official page.

The aspirations of the club played a big part in my decision, because they are building towards eventually being a Super League outfit again. Also, Tim being here another year was a big factor. His record speaks for itself; I’ve already picked lots of stuff up from him and look forward to continuing to work under him.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 2:41 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

2021 will be another year for TS. I would like another after that but he's probably looking forward to retirement!

I suspect that the two year deal for Spedding is to put him out of step with last years 2 year contracts so that we don't have a full team out of contract at once. As CJ says we need three centres at least for cover in the backs.

The fact that we are able to look at two year deals plus Cook etc looks as if we are better placed financially than last year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 4:14 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Really hope we keep Johnson, for me one of the best in this league and could play SL.

A couple of Kenny Baker type signings under the radar would be very useful too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 5:37 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Really hope we keep Johnson, for me one of the best in this league and could play SL. A couple of Kenny Baker type signings under the radar would be very useful too.

Might be a few players looking for a berth shortly but it lookz as if TS has had his targets ready. Millington would be a real catch but Cas will be a big pull to break. Haven't heard if we are still semi,- pro or full time yet, or a mix.

The sooner the ST survey is completed the better, then at least we will know our financial state more accurately.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 6:40 pm
(@blue-viking)
Estimable Member

The twins Wilde and Moran finally announced as leaving look like sheens will have chance to build the pack he wants now hopefully get some size and aggression in there, also heard we are interested in Paul brearley the lad who signed for Toronto from Halifax a couple of weeks ago.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2020 8:28 am
Page 5 / 18
Share: