Notifications
Clear all

2021 Squad

Page 4 / 18
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Matt Cook signed from Castleford!

Warrington based and aged 33 yrs looking forward to life after SL ? Solid signing for us.

Matthew Shaw says one of several new additions. Roll on 2021!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 8:18 am
(@blue-viking)
Estimable Member

Think that is exactly the type of signing we need for the forward pack a great start in that department I have always rated cook and brings a lot of experience to the side

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 8:25 am
(@albion13)
Eminent Member

Heard Grant Millington as well signing from Cas

very happy if true with this

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 8:32 am
(@steve-mcdonald)
Trusted Member

Over 300 SL appearances can’t argue with that.

I heard a few of our players are joining Ottawa, one of which will be a loss.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 8:33 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Sounds ominous!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 8:44 am
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Over 300 SL appearances can’t argue with that. I heard a few of our players are joining Ottawa, one of which will be a loss.

Name names Steve!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 9:31 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Can't blame youngsters if they want to take a look at other lands! Money will be attractive too and there's not much to look forward to in GB atm!

On the bright side it looks as if we are moving to resolve our weaker areas ready for next year and that could include replacements for outgoing players.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 10:20 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Good news on signings with the signing of Matt Cook  and re-signing of Cross and Baker, together with retention of those of two year deals - Grady, Craven and Farnworth? Not initially 100% sold on the signing of Steve Tyrer, but he does bring experience and is a decent goalkicker too. It looks like Halifax are having a clear-out, with Tyrer, Gilmore and Murrell leaving.

It is inevitable that players will be leaving, but that will give the opportunity for Sheens to bring in players of his choice. Perhaps the best news we could have is confirmation that Tim Sheens is on board for 2021 and hopefully having a say on signings, even if it means he comes off furlough early.

I would hope that we could retain the spine of the team from this year - Owens, Craven, Smith and Tomkins - but who can blame  anyone for leaving if they can get a better deal elsewhere. I am looking forward to next season and seeing Widnes at the top end of the table and challenging for promotion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 11:16 am
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Think Sheens has signed 4 players.

Dwyer, Smith, Tomkins and Cook. 3 established Super League players.

Shows the pull of him. The best signing we’ve made in years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 11:30 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Good item on the club site by Cook. Turns out his dad is a Widnesian!!!

Millington would be another cornerstone pack signing with Cook, but he will probably stay at Cas I guess.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 11:48 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Good item on the club site by Cook. Turns out his dad is a Widnesian!!! Millington would be another cornerstone pack signing with Cook, but he will probably stay at Cas I guess.

A good article as you say and highlights the influence that Sheens has got in attracting experienced players, as well as spotting younger players with potential. It is clear that Sheens is involved in the signings, which is good news.

It is interesting that in the article, Matt Cook mentions how competitive the Championship is with several teams competing for promotion. Maybe the RFL will see this and make some effort to sell the competition to Sky and, if they are not interested, another broadcaster.

I think the problem is that Sky own the rights to Championship games, but choose not to show games. Perhaps RFL should seek a more flexible arrangement and then try to get the BBC interested. Any separate deal for the Championship/League 1 can only be an improvement on the current arrangements.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 12:26 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Seems to be a few murmurings about the twins going and with Gilmore going to Ottawa to, could see it.

Toronto signed quite a few from Leigh when they first started, maybe Ottawa doing the same with us?

Nevertheless, Cook is exactly the type of player we need and a very welcome first new addition.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 12:38 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Looking forward to next season - the article on the webpage says it’s “Tim Sheens pack ..” and that to me says a lot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 1:08 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Good point, though it may be just a turn of phrase, if he can persuade Millington that would make it truly 'his' pack. Could well depend on how long Millington sees himself playing for and what his plans are. Cook must be part time or we have really pushed the boat out. I can see the attraction for Millington to want to play under Sheens as both their careers end, most Aussie players would be tempted. We certainly need a couple of mongrels to give our pack a lift.

TS has had a year to look at the twins and he will know if they are ready for his pack now and how much he needs them.

Good luck to them anyway if they go or stay.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 1:33 pm
(@griffin1)
Estimable Member

Darryl Powell has said he is confident that Millington will stay, but who knows and he would be a very good addition. I am very pleased with the addition of Cook and I have heard nothing that might suggest that Smith or Tomkins are leaving. Things are looking brIghtfield.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 8:05 pm
Page 4 / 18
Share: