Notifications
Clear all

Tony Clubb

Page 1 / 2
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Accused of racially abusing Savelio, I am sure the RFL will naturally attempt to throw the book. If they do, I am sure it will create an interesting paradox on counts as racist on a rugby field considering the alleged remark is probably repeated in international games on a regular basis.

Topic starter Posted : 30/04/2021 8:17 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

I don't know what was (allegedly) said, but when the camera focused on Savelio at the end of the match, he was obviously very upset, and annoyed.

If the audio mikes have not picked it up, it'll be difficult to prove one way or the other, but in my opinion, Child was 101% correct in putting it "on report" when he was approached.

Unfortunately, whatever the outcome, it's more bad news for RL.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2021 8:39 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

“Polynesian c**t”, how many times has someone been called an “English or Aussie “c**t”” and in my opinion, calling an Aussie a “convict” is far more inflammatory and racist as it resonates with stereotypes that applies to the whole nation.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/04/2021 8:56 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

“Polynesian c**t”, how many times has someone been called an “English or Aussie “c**t”” and in my opinion, calling an Aussie a “convict” is far more inflammatory and racist as it resonates with stereotypes that applies to the whole nation.

When I was in Oz following the tour, back in '92, a local called me a "Pommie b*****d" and I just laughed it off, as we were still on a high after that momentous win in Melbourne.

I must admit that I've used "Convicts" on several occasions about our Antipodean cousins, but I mean it in a light hearted, rather than in a racist manner. You obviously view it differently, which of course, is your prerogative.

I'm not pointing a finger at Clubb, as "innocent until proven guilty" must prevail, but as I said earlier, it's already, bad news for the game.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2021 9:44 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I am not suggesting that it’s my opinion that the term “convicts” is racist but if we are going full PC then there is an argument to be made that, the term is indeed racial as traditionally it was used to demean a segment of people.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/04/2021 10:00 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

I am not suggesting that it’s my opinion that the term “convicts” is racist but if we are going full PC then there is an argument to be made that, the term is indeed racial as traditionally it was used to demean a segment of people.

I get / understand what you say mate.

On another matter, what's your prediction for Sunday, when we're at yours?

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2021 10:09 am
(@spideylizard)
Estimable Member

If he's said then he's being racist, dismissing that its racist is part of the problem

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2021 10:51 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Having worked and lived in Aus for several brilliant years the b**d is never seen as an insult in my experience. In fact they presented me with a Tee shirt 'Pommie b*d'! on my leaving day.

Great bunch but no standing on ceremony!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2021 11:26 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I get / understand what you say mate. On another matter, what’s your prediction for Sunday, when we’re at yours? Spelly.

16-26, We are hopeless, Swinton will have no pressure and these players at Widnes have no guts.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/04/2021 1:09 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Suppose it’s how you interpret “racism”, however, I am believe racism should not only apply to minorities, if we want to move forward, then these types of issues should be examined with equality.

Many of those who fought against racism for years, have always purported that they “just want equality”, well surely that has to be applied in every case and not just have situation where someone who is white “cannot be a victim of racism”.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/04/2021 1:12 pm
widneslatic
(@widneslatic)
Reputable Member

I hope Clubb gets the book thrown at him for that.

But it's Wigan, so he'll get a token ban & fine...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2021 8:46 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

‘Convict’ isn’t a racist term - there isn’t a race of convicts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2021 9:25 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

And “c***” isn’t a racial term either, but if you are using a word demean a race of people then that’s technically racist.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/05/2021 9:38 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

And “c” isn’t a racial term either, but if you are using a word demean a race of people then that’s technically racist.

If what is reported in this thread is true then I think  you may be confusing racist and xenophobic.

If Clubb said what is alleged then the are two possibilities

1) that Savelio is a c because he is an South Seas Islander

2) that Savelio is a  c*** who happened to been born on a South Sea Island

The first is xenophobic (which is generally mistakenly referred to as racism), the second is a pitifully limited use of an offensive term but not xenophobic / racist.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2021 11:21 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

But that’s the issue, the whole racism debate is so polarised that even by calling a black player a “beast” that is now considered considered racist. Even though, white players are also called a “beast” if they are powerfully strong players.

I go back to my original point, if calling someone a Polynesian “C”, is now racist, then been called an English “C” is also racist.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/05/2021 11:38 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: