Notifications
Clear all

Members Monday

Page 1 / 7
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

Members Monday is back on the 9 th August at the Cookhouse (Albion)Finney, Finnegan and some of the players will be answering questions. Tickets £5 for season ticket holders, by the 1 August.

We might get some of our queries(Tompkins,  Jewit) answered.

Topic starter Posted : 23/07/2021 10:05 am
(@town-team)
Trusted Member

This is a splendid opportunity for Adolph Cape and Wires Willy to release their demons...  Im a betting man an I will put good money on the pair of them being nowhere near the Albion on the 9th.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2021 11:10 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Yes,a  good opportunity to get things off your chest and tell Finney just what you think of him, face to face.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/07/2021 11:50 am
Martin
(@martin)
Prominent Member

Forgive the ignorance but WHY the Cookhouse and not the clubhouse itself. Surely you could get more supporters in the actual clubhouse👍👍

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/07/2021 3:14 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Members Monday is back on the 9 th August at the Cookhouse (Albion)Finney, Finnegan and some of the players will be answering questions. Tickets £5 for season ticket holders, by the 1 August. We might get some of our queries(Tompkins, Jewit) answered.[/quote]

In his latest interview, Finnegan confirmed that we won't be seeing Tomkins and Jewitt (our non-playing coach) this season. No mention of Dwyer, who I guess is still not available

The club web site shows a squad of 29, which includes Doro and Brad O'Neill, as well as Callum O'Neill and Buckley. Taken these into account, we are down to a squad of 22 with just 11  forwards (including Smith) for the rest of the season, assuming a fully fit squad.

As well as updates on Tomkins and Jewitt, it would be interesting to know whether the club are looking for any loan players to boost the squad, or is the plan just to get through the season with the current squad  and keep fingers crossed on injuries and suspensions. I suppose if we can keep Cook, Clough, Farnworth and Tilleke fit, along with Grady, Lawton, Baker, Wilde, Else, Hulme and Smith, we will manage to field a decent team, without having to put a couple of non-playing backs on the bench.

It would be good to get a few more announcements on player retentions and signings for 2022.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 8:39 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Forgive the ignorance but WHY the Cookhouse and not the clubhouse itself. Surely you could get more supporters in the actual clubhouse👍👍

That sounds like a really good question to start the meeting off to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 10:02 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Members Monday is back on the 9 th August at the Cookhouse (Albion)Finney, Finnegan and some of the players will be answering questions. Tickets £5 for season ticket holders, by the 1 August. We might get some of our queries(Tompkins, Jewit) answered.[/quote] In his latest interview, Finnegan confirmed that we won’t be seeing Tomkins and Jewitt (our non-playing coach) this season. No mention of Dwyer, who I guess is still not available The club web site shows a squad of 29, which includes Doro and Brad O’Neill, as well as Callum O’Neill and Buckley. Taken these into account, we are down to a squad of 22 with just 11 forwards (including Smith) for the rest of the season, assuming a fully fit squad. As well as updates on Tomkins and Jewitt, it would be interesting to know whether the club are looking for any loan players to boost the squad, or is the plan just to get through the season with the current squad and keep fingers crossed on injuries and suspensions. I suppose if we can keep Cook, Clough, Farnworth and Tilleke fit, along with Grady, Lawton, Baker, Wilde, Else, Hulme and Smith, we will manage to field a decent team, without having to put a couple of non-playing backs on the bench. It would be good to get a few more announcements on player retentions and signings for 2022.

Does the squad include young Hulme, Frank ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 10:04 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

That sounds like a really good question to start the meeting off to me.

Could  be wrong but last I heard there is no actual 'clubhouse' any more at the stadium.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 10:14 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Yes, the squad does include Lewis Hulme, who has been a decent player in the few games he has played for us.

It is the younger players like Farnworth, Else, Hatton, , Edge, Wilde, Tilleke, Brookes and Hill  who we need to retain, as part of a balanced squad with a nucleus of experienced players around them. I would also include Lawton in the list of retentions, based on his form this year. In fact, if we could retain most of the current squad (subject to any ongoing fitness issues) and add to it for 2022, we should be capable of making the play-offs and having a shot at promotion.

It would be interesting to have views on player retentions for 2022. As far as I can see, we have Owens, Tomkins (remember him), Craven, Spedding and Tyrer signed up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 10:35 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Can see Farnworth being snapped up by a SL club.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 10:43 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Are the stadium entertainment dining areas open? The Cookhouse may be offering free facilities to encourage custom.

According to Degsy clubs are not keen to loan or even sell players in case they fall into the Covid trap and Leigh are really trying to sign up. You only have to look at the number of postponements and cancellations to realise that things are in a mess, gamewide.

Just keep our heads down and try to see the season out is the gameplan I think. Firm up contracts if we can and look forward to next year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 10:45 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Can see Farnworth being snapped up by a SL club. .

I agree and this may test Widnes. Didn't someone on here mention that St Helens or Warrington were showing an interest?

SL clubs will offer f/t contracts to attract "promising" SL players like Farnworth and probably Lawton (based on this year's form), but probably probably at the bottom end of SL salaries.  Can Widnes compete, by possibly offering a longer term contract with full-time, if promoted to SL? After all, If Farnworth went to Saints or Wire, he would probably end up playing in the reserves or loaned out next season.

Who can blame players or their agents looking around for a better contract than Widnes may be able to offer. It is up to Widnes to show their commitment to building a squad with a decent chance of promotion to SL.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 10:59 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Finnigan has certainly got more out of Lawton than any previous coach and he promises to do more if he stays with us. Whether he could cope with a SL workload could be a doubt, but thats up to others to work out.

Its been said before but the combination of job and PT can compete with low end SL ,depending on personal plans etc.

Still a lot of information about funding  to be clarified yet. That could change many plans.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 12:24 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Firstly, reckon cookhouse is a free venue, or even free with grub for vikings

player retention - as discussed farnworth,Lawton, tilleke,Grady,Wilde,else,Hatton - on top of already announced.

let Tomkins go - no doubt his fitness would then improve and play a full season for cat dragons

but we still need to know a budget for next season - we should have one of the biggest in the champ

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 4:01 pm
 MW46
(@mw46)

The Cookhouse have signed up and invested as one of the clubs Rewards Scheme partners for the Season - this has been advertised on the Club and social media earlier in the season.

So makes perfect sense that the club will utilise them for events.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 5:02 pm
Page 1 / 7
Share: