Notifications
Clear all

Lewis Else

(@steelviking)
Estimable Member

Has signed for Swinton

LIONS LAND HALF-BACK LEWIS!
25 October 2021

We are delighted to confirm the signing of exciting young half-back Lewis Else from Widnes Vikings!

Wigan born Lewis is 21 years old and came through the junior teams at Wigan St Patrick’s, before joining the Vikings’ scholarship programme from the age of 15. He made his Widnes first team debut in 2019, and was impressive against the Lions last season.

Upon joining Swinton, Lewis said, “I’m very happy to get this deal done and to be starting the new 2022 season at Swinton Lions. I think the playing style here at the Lions will really suit me, and I think it will bring the best out of me as a player. Hopefully that also means I can help the Lions push back up to the Championship. I want to thank the Swinton staff for already making me feel very welcome. I now can’t wait to get going in 2022 and to see what it brings!”

In response Swinton Head Coach, Allan Coleman, said, “I am really happy we could get Lewis to the club. I think he is a very talented young half-back and he is definitely one to watch. I am really looking forward to seeing him lead this team around the park, as there’s no doubt that he is a very exciting player who will go far in the game. I also want to give a shout out to our Pride Builder contributors, who yet again have played a major role in bringing a good player to Swinton Lions.”

Topic starter Posted : 25/10/2021 5:45 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member

I think you've got a good one there, spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2021 6:03 pm
(@widiot)
Reputable Member

Very surprised at this, as has been said Spelly should be happy with this signing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2021 6:36 pm
(@primrose-viking)
Estimable Member

Very surprised at this, as has been said Spelly should be happy with this signing

Also really suprised to see Else leave

Really good little player

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2021 7:22 pm
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

Surprised our only half back cover has left unless he has been guaranteed regular game time at Swinton.

We only have Smith, Lyons & Craven  to cover both positions. I guess Owens & Fozzard could cover there but I much prefer those 2 at full back & hooker respectively.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2021 8:08 pm
(@primrose-viking)
Estimable Member

Surprised our only half back cover has left unless he has been guaranteed regular game time at Swinton. We only have Smith, Lyons & Craven to cover both positions. I guess Owens & Fozzard could cover there but I much prefer those 2 at full back & hooker respectively.

He has been offered better terms

Far better

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2021 9:07 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Perhaps I’m the only one on this thread to be baffled - how can a (just relegated) League 1  team with a much smaller fan base offer better terms?

Spelly, is there a magic money tree?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2021 10:10 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Perhaps I’m the only one on this thread to be baffled – how can a (just relegated) League 1 team with a much smaller fan base offer better terms? Spelly, is there a magic money tree?

Absolutely not mate! If only there was!

We've no mega money men, but both Pride Builder, and the Trust (of which I've been a board member since it started) contribute what we can.

We've managed (so far) to retain Hatton, Lloyd, and Butt from last year's squad, plus we've signed three guys from Oldham, and now young Else. Ridyard has followed Littler to the Roughyeds, Roberts, who (whilst still learning) looked the real deal, has been snapped up by Leythers, and Brooks will also be in the middle tier, up at Barrow.

With the greatest respect to you mob, perhaps the prospect of regular first team football, was the tempter Else needed?

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2021 10:34 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member

Apart from better terms, he may have been offered the guarantee of regular games plus being a playmaker, neither of which we could promise.

Who knows, we may want to re-sign him in a season's time!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2021 10:37 pm
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member

Perhaps I’m the only one on this thread to be baffled – how can a (just relegated) League 1 team with a much smaller fan base offer better terms? Spelly, is there a magic money tree?

Down to the pecking order.

He was down the pecking order in terms of the Widnes squad and what wages that will bring.  He will be towards the top of the pecking order for Swinton and thus better wages.

Good luck to him, be interesting whether he kicks on or carries on playing in league 1 for a few years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/10/2021 8:22 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Worked for Gilmore!!

Swinton must have seen his promise and have given him a chance - well done!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/10/2021 8:33 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Down to the pecking order. He was down the pecking order in terms of the Widnes squad and what wages that will bring. He will be towards the top of the pecking order for Swinton and thus better wages. Good luck to him, be interesting whether he kicks on or carries on playing in league 1 for a few years.[/quote]

Thank you, and hopefully, his tenure in the third tier will be brief, but......

I'm making no predictions, coz last year. before a ball was kicked, I was confident of a mid-table position come season's end, and we finished up as basement boys, but.....

As ever, fingers crossed!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/10/2021 8:37 am
(@blue-viking)
Estimable Member

Great signing for swinton, best for both party’s I feel, he had Lyons, craven and smith all ahead of him in the halfs and at hooker fozzard, Gregory and likely hulme who I would all prefer never the less got potential and in league one a belting signing for swinton a run of games in his preferred position will only help him

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/10/2021 11:33 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

What's the fuss ? As said he is down the pecking order.Just because he has left doesn't mean he can't play for Widnes ever again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/10/2021 11:57 am
Share: