Page 1 / 2
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Fev (A) - 1895 Cup

London (H)

Sheffield (H)

Bradford (A)

Leaving aside the cup semi final, I reckon we need to be looking for 2 wins out of 3 to stay in contention for the playoffs. Given a win at Bradford looks unlikely based on their performances we need to be right at our best for the two home games. London haven't achieved the form you would expect from a full time team and Sheffield look pretty average based on results so far. So they are definitely winnable games.

Topic starter Posted : 31/05/2021 10:59 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Funny how a couple of convincing wins has changed the tone of the Board.

As you say, Sheffield and London at home must be winnable games, but so were games against Batley, Dewsbury and Newcastle; and we are only a few injuries away from having to use backs on the bench to make up the numbers.

Bradford have had a couple of good wins against York and London, but have been beaten by Sheffield and had narrow wins against Swinton, Whitehaven and Halifax.

Two out of three wins in the league games would be good, together with a decent display and maybe (but unlikely) a win against Featherstone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2021 12:19 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

If we don’t get many injuries I think we can win both home games, Bradford away will be tougher, but with a first choice team, apart from Tompkins, we could win that one.
But if we pick up 2-3 injuries, we will struggle, because we have got such a small squad, unless we can get some young SL players in on a month or season loan.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2021 12:54 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Wonder if the Odsal pitch will be proper sized by then?!

I'd like to think we could win both home games, but we haven't put in a performance against any of the mid to upper table teams so far.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2021 1:09 pm
(@ceejay1)
Reputable Member

I hear that the Bradford pitch was measured yesterday at 51 Metres wide.   The RFL show a maximum width of 68 metres with a length of 100 metres, minimum size is width 55 Metres by 92 metres long.    How can Bradford get away with their postage size pitch?    Surely that is giving Bradford an advantage over teams who play and train on full size pitches.   I was under the impression that all clubs were playing ynder the same RL Laws.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2021 2:52 pm
(@spideylizard)
Estimable Member

I hear that the Bradford pitch was measured yesterday at 51 Metres wide. The RFL show a maximum width of 68 metres with a length of 100 metres, minimum size is width 55 Metres by 92 metres long. How can Bradford get away with their postage size pitch? Surely that is giving Bradford an advantage over teams who play and train on full size pitches. I was under the impression that all clubs were playing ynder the same RL Laws.

They’ve been given dispensation for the next two games. They need to find a solution to get pitch to minimum width by the time they play Widnes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2021 3:19 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

I hear that the Bradford pitch was measured yesterday at 51 Metres wide. The RFL show a maximum width of 68 metres with a length of 100 metres, minimum size is width 55 Metres by 92 metres long. How can Bradford get away with their postage size pitch? Surely that is giving Bradford an advantage over teams who play and train on full size pitches. I was under the impression that all clubs were playing ynder the same RL Laws.

They’ve been given dispensation for the next two games. They need to find a solution to get pitch to minimum width by the time they’d  play Widnes

One of their next two games is away against Featherstone so it’s just the one game against Newcastle that’s on the smaller pitch, assuming they meet regulation size when they play us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2021 8:04 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

I hope we play hard ball over the that pitch, it's a disgrace.

Think they're hoping it'll be sorted by then. Dewsbury is plan B.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2021 8:37 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Never mind a narrow pitch that doesn’t comply with minimum standards, the whole stadium was a dump last time I went a few years ago, and I hear it hasn’t changed much since.

But then, don’t the RFL rule makers/benders own or lease the place??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2021 9:41 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

I was reading last week Bradford were thanking the next 2 clubs they were playing for agreeing to play on a narrow pitch. So if it’s not the minimum width for our game, we should just refuse to play on it. Why should we help them try and win the match?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2021 8:42 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Not heard of this. Why is the pitch narrower than it once was ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2021 9:12 pm
(@scouseviking55)
Reputable Member

Seen something about it being used for motorsport? Maybe that has something to do with the pitch being narrower.

Wasn’t it tipped to be used as one of them drive in cinemas as well?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2021 10:02 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Wouldn't a narrow pitch at Bradford  be better for us anyway ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2021 10:43 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

Not really, Bradford have a big set of forwards, so keeping it tight up the middle would suit them, especially if any of our first choice forwards are injured.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2021 11:08 pm
(@lord-lucan)
Trusted Member

Ironically it was probably York who took better advantage of the narrow pitch, as they worked out that from kick offs it was fairly straightforward to just drill the ball along the ground and into touch, very difficult for the receiving team to prevent when the touch line is only 25.4 metres from where the ball is kicked.

On the other hand, having kick offs as your master plan has an obvious flaw...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2021 9:21 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: