play off system

conference winners play for championship

challenge cup as usual all teams entered

plan for 2025 for clubs to plan forward and have time to organise

Topic starter Posted : 25/07/2021 4:51 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

I think Salford, Halifax and a few other clubs might not be in favour of the above!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 5:50 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

I think Salford, Halifax and a few other clubs might not be in favour of the above!

Miserable b******s!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 6:03 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

Sorry I missed a couple of teams , I mean sure make it a 12 team conference system, I was just throwing out an idea as we keep hearing these rumors about reorganization of the current system

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/07/2021 6:06 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

I can’t see any restructure which would contain a large number of obvious mismatches being popular. My choice would be to expand SL to 16 teams and also have a 16 team second tier. And relax to rules to allow some more expansion teams a spot in league one. Whatever happened to the Liverpool RLFC project by the way?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 9:23 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Remember about 12 or so months ago this idea got mooted, an Eastern and Western Conference for the Lower League with the top 4 in each going to a Play Off series.

I'm not sure how the game below SL will look after the withdrawal of most of central funding....it is quite possible that some clubs could go: which then leads to a situation of whether you bring in a conference system or whether you go for 2 divisions or an NFP style league of 18/20.

I honestly don't think the current structure is a bad one at all and is preferable to both licensing and the Middle 8s.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2021 9:45 pm
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

I always thought conferences would be a good idea. However, there's nowhere near enough players for 20 teams, half the games would be routine massacres and also why wouldn't you have the conferences County based? 6 teams per conference with some inter-conference games would be preferable. Of course, that would mean we were nowhere near it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2021 7:59 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Remember about 12 or so months ago this idea got mooted, an Eastern and Western Conference for the Lower League with the top 4 in each going to a Play Off series. I’m not sure how the game below SL will look after the withdrawal of most of central funding….it is quite possible that some clubs could go: which then leads to a situation of whether you bring in a conference system or whether you go for 2 divisions or an NFP style league of 18/20. I honestly don’t think the current structure is a bad one at all and is preferable to both licensing and the Middle 8s.

Imho I can’t see for the life of me how you think the current structure isn’t bad in the same post that you say it’s “quite possible that some clubs could go” next season ....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2021 8:11 am
(@the-ghost-of-ethel)
Estimable Member

Depending on what funding is offered next season, which looks like it could be next to nothing, and with Sky having no real hold over the Championship after the demise of the Middle 8's, there must be some tv channel willing to pay to screen the games.

It may not be a lot but if it is more than the Sky money then why not go for it.

Clubs may be able to generate better sponsorship if they are on tv more often and, besides Toulouse and Featherstone, there's not a lot between the sides, creating plenty of interesting games.

One live game a week plus some highlights, akin to the old RL Raw show, is surely achievable?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2021 8:36 am
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

When does the current sky deal end?

I think there’s two ways to look at it, positive or negative, use this opportunity to have other streaming services come in and see what they can offer with regards to screen the games

imagine if Netflix or someone else came in and offered to show it on a wider audience

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/07/2021 1:24 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Remember about 12 or so months ago this idea got mooted, an Eastern and Western Conference for the Lower League with the top 4 in each going to a Play Off series. I’m not sure how the game below SL will look after the withdrawal of most of central funding….it is quite possible that some clubs could go: which then leads to a situation of whether you bring in a conference system or whether you go for 2 divisions or an NFP style league of 18/20. I honestly don’t think the current structure is a bad one at all and is preferable to both licensing and the Middle 8s.

Imho I can’t see for the life of me how you think the current structure isn’t bad in the same post that you say it’s “quite possible that some clubs could go” next season ….

The current structure with current central funding is ok.

Remove the central funding and some clubs may go....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2021 1:48 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

When does the current sky deal end? I think there’s two ways to look at it, positive or negative, use this opportunity to have other streaming services come in and see what they can offer with regards to screen the games imagine if Netflix or someone else came in and offered to show it on a wider audience

The new deal lasts for two years and then what? The game has to get itself sorted or there wont be another deal. The 1895 games shown on BBC have shown that there is a game out here worth watching so there us hope. It can be done with a lot less personnel than sky use, as the streaming has shown.

The loss of academies and funding seems to be pointing to a smaller game as a whole. Ideal chance if someone wants to get a grip of it, but is anybody bothered?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2021 2:39 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

Exactly there’s an opportunity for someone to come in and offer championship and league 1 clubs better funds to showcase our sport to a wider audience. I reside in the US and if games where shown here with some proper commercial advertising (something the RFL fail to do) the sport could kick off big time. The introduction of the North American League next year could also benefit from this

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/07/2021 5:33 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Well with rumours of terrestrial tv sniffing for some SL games - BBC looking at 10 per season, maybe they would take in championship as well ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2021 5:55 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Apparently a proposal is on the table for 14 teams in SL next year with 4 of them relegated at the season's end to join the top 6 championship teams, making up a Super League of 10 teams  and a Championship of 10 teams in 2023.Top six is our goal for 2022, should this come to pass.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2021 6:29 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: