Notifications
Clear all

Season 2021

Page 5 / 8
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Let's not forget that 2000 were allowed in unvaccinated when case levels were relatively low, in late autumn/early winter.

I think they will revert to that when case levels are at a similar level, which would cover maybe 3/4s of our hardcore support....then by summer when you would expect the lion's share to be vaccinated, relatively normal crowds: which would be realistically, what 800-1500 more than that 2000 level?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/01/2021 4:33 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Exactly right, if crowds of up to 4000 are allowed, as they were in October, that would be fine. There are few teams in the championship that would generate crowds over that other than derby fixtures such as Bradford/fax maybe Bradford Fev Or big games as season progresses - a resurgent Widnes top of the table clash with Bradford

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2021 5:25 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Or a Wembley final - sorry,l'll take a tablet and have a lie down (lol)!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2021 6:40 pm
(@macc-viking)
Trusted Member

Glad to see one or two people not swallowing the doom-mongering. With positive readings already falling off a cliff in many places there will be soon be no excuse for not returning to normal.  Not because lockdown has worked (the same falling off is observable in countries which haven't locked down) but because that is the normal pattern for seasonal upper tract infections. With vaccinations there as well to put beyond the reach of the virus the elderly and frail the government have no justification to go on longer than necessary depriving players of their livelihoods, towns of recreation and ordinary folks their social lives. Time for fans to make their voices heard with local MPs: give us our lives back!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2021 7:04 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Glad to see one or two people not swallowing the doom-mongering. With positive readings already falling off a cliff in many places there will be soon be no excuse for not returning to normal. Not because lockdown has worked (the same falling off is observable in countries which haven’t locked down) but because that is the normal pattern for seasonal upper tract infections. With vaccinations there as well to put beyond the reach of the virus the elderly and frail the government have no justification to go on longer than necessary depriving players of their livelihoods, towns of recreation and ordinary folks their social lives. Time for fans to make their voices heard with local MPs: give us our lives back!

Or perhaps ordinary folk can listen to the voices of the 2 million+ people worldwide who have died.

To describe it as an ‘upper tract infection’ whilst in one sense is true is also a dangerously misleading generalisation. Bit like saying the Spanish flu pandemic after the First World War was a nasty bug.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2021 8:32 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Some journalists are advocating that this years  Championship and League 1 should be cancelled now and that firm plans are made to start in 2022.

How can any club manage for another year without any income to pay for essential non-playing staff, training costs, rents and ground maintenance?

Ever the optimist, I feel sure the Championship clubs will agree to start this season around Easter, and if games are played initially behind closed doors, that something like a pay per view system will be marketed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/01/2021 9:24 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Schoey the brain is the one proposing a Championship closedown, but he doesn't say how the clubs are to survive financially!

Had my jab today and hope to be fit to get a game in April, all being well.

Schoey is another keyboard warrior, full of suggestions. He would impress me more if he was doing something to actively promote and develop the game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/01/2021 1:13 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Apparently the latest plan is to start at Easter with a 23 round season: potential for multiple games in one ground in early stages.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/01/2021 3:05 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Apparently the latest plan is to start at Easter with a 23 round season: potential for multiple games in one ground in early stages.

now that sounds feasible, hopefully that is home and away with midweek fixtures. But thinking about it that may include, as I mentioned previous 2 games at Easter,2 at May Day weekend and 2 at whit weekend giving the 26 fixtures

the multi fixtures at one venue may attract some tv coverage which would help pay the bills, but accommodating 6/8 teams would be difficult - only championship grounds that could accommodate that would be ...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/01/2021 3:36 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

So that would be April 2nd first game, I reckon crowds could be allowed back by then but that would not help the multi game concept

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/01/2021 3:40 pm
(@macc-viking)
Trusted Member

For the under 70s Covid 19 really is on average (stress on average) no more dangerous than ordinary flu, which itself kills 11,000 in an ordinary year. So if the elderly are vaccinated by mid-February  why is it unreasonable to think in terms of opening up?  Why should the rest of us suffer because some can't tolerate even a small degree of risk?  Mostly people who have not lost their business, not got teenagers at home on the verge of suicide, not had treatment cancelled, not lost relatives to dementia, not got kids going without education etc etc etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2021 7:55 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

For the under 70s Covid 19 really is on average (stress on average) no more dangerous than ordinary flu, which itself kills 11,000 in an ordinary year. So if the elderly are vaccinated by mid-February why is it unreasonable to think in terms of opening up? Why should the rest of us suffer because some can’t tolerate even a small degree of risk? Mostly people who have not lost their business, not got teenagers at home on the verge of suicide, not had treatment cancelled, not lost relatives to dementia, not got kids going without education etc etc etc.

What you are talking about is your perceived needs against the needs of society in general.

In an ideal personal world we could isolate those at risk, treat them and we’d all live happily ever after. Unfortunately, it is, on a practical, day to day social interaction basis to know for sure just who is and isn’t at risk so the ideal scenario is a bit of a none starter. The idea that some of us aren’t at risk actually means that we aren’t at risk of dying, I assume, but doesn’t acknowledge that fact that we might be a risk - an unnecessary risk - to others.

I think you mentioned that the voice of the common people should be heard. Strangely enough it has and is being heard. The majority of those who voted at the last election (the common voice) if you will and the people elected to run the country are actually doing so (albeit in a reactionary and befuddled manner). Recently a maniac across the pond was saying something similar - I believe in democracy and freedom so long as everybody does what I want.....

As I said, I’d love to be able to go and watch Widnes play, I’d love to see all those at risk vaccinated and cleared of any future risk, I’d love to stop having to work from home but I appreciate what I want has to take a distant second place at the moment.

Anyway, enough on this one - just to say that I hope everybody remains well and those unfortunate enough to be infected make a speedy full recovery.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2021 6:28 am
(@snafu)

you can bet that the RFL will come up with the most complicated and unworkable

fixture list possible. Just look at their track record. divide 36 clubs into three leagues,

14-8-14 well done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2021 10:50 am
(@torn-sock-1)
Estimable Member

For the under 70s Covid 19 really is on average (stress on average) no more dangerous than ordinary flu, which itself kills 11,000 in an ordinary year. So if the elderly are vaccinated by mid-February why is it unreasonable to think in terms of opening up? Why should the rest of us suffer because some can’t tolerate even a small degree of risk? Mostly people who have not lost their business, not got teenagers at home on the verge of suicide, not had treatment cancelled, not lost relatives to dementia, not got kids going without education etc etc etc.

Try telling this to NHS staff. Your need to "Suffer" not being able to go the match/pub (I assume you still have your health, job, roof over your head and food on the table) is a bit less important than 10's (100's) of thousands of workers being under unimaginable stress and hospitals almost overflowing with this "small" degree of risk.
It's this sort of selfish attitude that has made this go on for so long already.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2021 12:17 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

you can bet that the RFL will come up with the most complicated and unworkable

fixture list possible. Just look at their track record. divide 36 clubs into three leagues,

14-8-14 well done.

Ah but they didn't done gud in sums they done gud in english!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2021 6:33 pm
Page 5 / 8
Share: