Honorable Member

What's the delay with the fixtures?

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2021 1:52 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

I think they will have to announce a delay until the end of March given what's going on at the moment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2021 2:54 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Agree, unless they feel they will still get income through streaming to get them through, but surely you want as short a period of behind closed doors games as possible.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/01/2021 6:31 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

If I was a betting man I would suggest fans won’t be allowed back into grounds until mid-year.
There is no way that clubs will be allowed (or want to play games behind closed doors at the Championship level.

Publishing fixtures before mid February, at the earliest, seems pointless in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2021 1:10 am
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

They are now saying the current restrictions are looking like staying in place until the beginning of March. They will then look at which ones can be progressively relaxed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2021 9:07 am
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

Not sure if the RL championship is classed as an “elite sport”, if it isn’t, we won’t be able to play any matches until lockdown is over.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2021 4:04 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Suspect the championship may get into elite sport, but doubt crowds of over 2000 before April at best.

small chance low crowds allowed in by March, dependant on tier level of home club.

they will struggle if the fixtures are put back due to World Cup, or we could be playing 2 matches a week for a short spell

I would imagine a decision will be made and fixtures announced by the end of the month, SL fixtures - are they out ? Reckon they will be fairly soon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2021 5:43 pm
(@terryb)

Pre season suspended for at least another two weeks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2021 5:50 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Training will also be affected by furlough payments. Are these still being made to the club?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2021 6:14 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

The best hope of getting society back to normal is for the vaccine(s) to work. Until the vaccines successfully prevent the contraction and transmission of Covid large public gatherings just aren’t safe. Lockdowns don’t make Covid go away they prevent transmission by isolating people.

Getting to a point of reasonable, let alone full, attendance at matches depends upon the completion of the distribution of vaccines and them working successfully which will take months and may be hampered by the section of society who ‘can’t see the point’ in vaccinations or who think Covid is a conspiracy or who think their personal freedom is being impinged.

I’d love to see us back playing in March with free access to attend games but have to say I’m more optimistic about the middle of the year. As an aside, although obviously connected, it was alarming to see the number of cases detected in the most recent test of Premier League clubs - about twice as high as any other testing period if I read the article correctly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2021 7:46 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

Pre season suspended for at least another two weeks.

But not for Toulouse Olympique, who are operating under different Covid regs, in France, and are continuing with their pre-season training.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2021 10:50 am
(@terryb)

Didn't know that,They're definitely favourite now,should we see any championship RL.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2021 12:21 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Still think it will be hard for Toulouse, with the restrictions and costs of travelling here.

Fixtures now unlikely to be known until end of January at best. I'd imagine the first round of games will be traditional "low earners" for clubs. I doubt anyone would want to lose a home game against us behind closed doors, so expecting us to be at home against someone who doesn't travel well (possibly London).

Who knows what will happen though. All very Government dependant, which doesn't bode well.

Surprising stance from the RFL, as Elite Sport is allowed to continue. But they must have their reasons.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2021 1:44 pm
(@terryb)

It's the RFL though,literally anything could happen.._..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2021 5:34 pm
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

IF there is no immediate prospect of fans being allowed into any games could it be the case that clubs will be unable to start a season as they will have no income?

Yes, I’m sure they will have some money in the bank, but we all know how important season ticket money is to budgeting along with walk up sales. I’d imagine most clubs apart from SL will be looking to, if not already, furlough staff where they can and the question must be how to bring them back with no income. Worst case would be to start a season and then have the return of spectators put back and back.

One thing is certain though I’m afraid, considering the lack of practice and conditioning it will be 2022 until we see any sort of polished RL below SL level. I am genuinely hopeful that all lesser supported clubs can survive this and that the financial position of the players does not drive them away from the game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2021 7:09 pm
Page 2 / 8
Share: