Improvements requir...

Notifications
Clear all

Improvements required in 2025

Page 1 / 2
(@pascal)
Noble Member

Well I feel we are not far off being a regular top 4 team if can tweak a few improvements. This year we have competed in most games and not really been thrashed in any games. The disappointing thing is we could still miss out on the playoffs, especially if don't focus in the last 3 games.

Improvements required is a slightly bigger squad of own players for starters and don't buy too many injury prone players. A new fullback comfortable under high ball with speed, strike centre and a other half back be nice. I would like a Danny Craven type player as need more competition in this area. Two big Tongan/Samoa type props or backrowers to strengthen pack size.

The thing that worries me some of the performances at home against Batley, Featherstone and York, which doesn't help to entice new and old fans back. Two of my friends don't go anymore because took up cycling and golf. There is so many other different things to do but performances like this I feel has lost support. If we played better I know they come back but we are not helping ourselves at times. 

Topic starter Posted : 09/09/2024 3:36 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

The thing that worries me is we have lost 1,000 fans, and having a decent season in the play off positions hasn't brought them back. The official website still says we have an average home attendance of 3,522 but it's been around the 2,500 mark all season.

Yesterday in a crucial game following a good win at Batley, us in 4th place and no football on TV we only recorded a crowd of 2,600. That takes away our key competitive advantage from rival clubs. We don't have a money man but usually had circa 2,000 more fans than many of our Championship rivals. 

Without this it makes the things you mention like having a bigger squad and a couple of overseas signings more difficult.  We need to ask ourselves the reason why. As you say habit is a big one, it's difficult to get people to come back. I know some really big fans that used to go all the games until recently that have just lost interest and now enjoy doing other things at the weekend.

The other one for me is with IMG and everyone knowing Wakefield are coming up and London are going down, even though we have potentially finally made the playoffs (well 4th place at the moment) the excitement and the dream isn't the same. This year does have a bit of what's the point about it. Has this impacted attendances even though we have undoubtedly improved on the field under the enthusiasm of Allan Coleman.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2024 4:13 pm
gpo1971 and Pascal reacted
(@pascal)
Noble Member

Dan IMG has killed the game with Whitehaven and Halifax struggling financially. The interest has lost big time because of no promotion, even if we won the Grand Final. The game is run by arse holes at the RFL and the fan base is not improving because nothing to play for mate. I hope we can keep financially sound and competitive, and i just hope the rules change otherwise more clubs will go bust. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/09/2024 5:19 pm
sandgroper reacted
(@pascal)
Noble Member

I can't see my golfing and cycling friend coming back unfortunately and this I blame IMG bollox. Even I have lost interest and only going because I want a team. Hopefully keep enough support so don't go bust. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/09/2024 5:23 pm
BEGG reacted
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Home form still isn't good enough.Too many teams still find it easy to pick up points here.The plastic pitch is allegedly  to our advantage but you wouldn't think so.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2024 7:41 pm
BEGG and Pascal reacted
(@pascal)
Noble Member

Posted by: @sinbad

Home form still isn't good enough.Too many teams still find it easy to pick up points here.The plastic pitch is allegedly  to our advantage but you wouldn't think so.

Sinbad agree and reason I put losing to Batley, York and Featherstone at home. Most fans go home games and it is imperative you beat these type of teams. Understand us losing to Wakefield at home mate. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/09/2024 8:21 pm
BEGG and Sinbad reacted
(@7-vikingnomad)
Eminent Member

According to reports on here we have patten and the Whitehaven centre coming in and Reilly will be fully fit - don’t see patten as the answer, would love to be proved wrong

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2024 5:44 am
Pascal reacted
(@pascal)
Noble Member

Posted by: @7-vikingnomad

According to reports on here we have patten and the Whitehaven centre coming in and Reilly will be fully fit - don’t see patten as the answer, would love to be proved wrong

I don't see Patton as the answer either mate. He was poor for Featherstone against Swinton, but we need a Dennis Moran or Danny Craven type who is fit. Any 2nd rate aussies would be an option from NSW cup? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/09/2024 6:08 am
BEGG reacted
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

I don't go to every game and those that I do go to, I probably go out of loyalty rather than enthusiasm. Let's face it, most games aren't great. RL has a general issue at the moment, it's gone a bit boring. I don't think I'd go every week even if we were in SL. You're right to say there's nothing to play for but, even if we were at the top with Wakey and one of us would be promoted on merit, I'm not sure crowds would be any different.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2024 9:31 am
 BEGG
(@begg)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @gpo1971

I don't go to every game and those that I do go to, I probably go out of loyalty rather than enthusiasm. Let's face it, most games aren't great. RL has a general issue at the moment, it's gone a bit boring. I don't think I'd go every week even if we were in SL. You're right to say there's nothing to play for but, even if we were at the top with Wakey and one of us would be promoted on merit, I'm not sure crowds would be any different.

I go more for loyalty now and if this 2500 fans did not go the games we would struggle further and probably go out forever. I do like Rugby League but the excitement has gone even more without promotion and relegation. Leigh Leopards have shown how it is done and being succesful in Superleague has helped them. Their Town is smaller than Widnes and have Wigan and Warrington close by too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2024 10:26 am
Sinbad reacted
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Hate to say it but a new full back is a must.Jack wasn't at fault for the York try but his best days are long gone.There's a lot of sentiment surrounding Owens and some fans get offended by criticism of him but there's no room for emotion in pro sport.We need a full back with confidence and speed and maybe Maizen will be the answer.Other players make mistakes too of course but FB is such an exposed position.I've heard we are a better team with him than without him but  we could be even better still.Club legend full back Mick Burke was dropped when his time was up,it's nothing personal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2024 11:14 am
Pascal, Pensioner, sunny and 1 people reacted
(@pascal)
Noble Member

Posted by: @sinbad

Hate to say it but a new full back is a must.Jack wasn't at fault for the York try but his best days are long gone.There's a lot of sentiment surrounding Owens and some fans get offended by criticism of him but there's no room for emotion in pro sport.We need a full back with confidence and speed and maybe Maizen will be the answer.Other players make mistakes too of course but FB is such an exposed position.I've heard we are a better team with him than without him but  we could be even better still.Club legend full back Mick Burke was dropped when his time was up,it's nothing personal.

Top post no sentiment in sport for me. I love to play for Widnes, but not good enough and in my opion there is many fullbacks better than Jack Owens. Nothing personal I just don't rate him. 

I don't want Patton at Widnes as I feel not the answer. Definitely need another half back though. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/09/2024 2:48 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member

@pascal 

I doubt that Patten would have covered back and caught a winger in the clear as Joey did last Sunday.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2024 6:53 pm
(@pascal)
Noble Member

Posted by: @sunny

@pascal 

I doubt that Patten would have covered back and caught a winger in the clear as Joey did last Sunday.

We need a Dennis Moran or Danny Craven player with some quality. I just don't see Patton as that good unfortunately or a young Anthony Thackeray. Always need 3 half backs for competition for places and injuries. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/09/2024 10:15 pm
sandgroper reacted
(@mckviking)
Noble Member

I don’t know how much of a done deal the Patton signing is but as said before we need competition for places. We keep talking about the old fans not coming back but we really should be looking how as a club we can attract the next generation of fans, the club has started the process of building a youth system and that’s a great positive for the club and I believe one way we can generate the next generation of fans. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2024 1:00 am
BEGG, sandgroper and Pascal reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: