Notifications
Clear all

2021 Squad

Page 16 / 18
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member

I like Lloyd Roby, very good player.  Would be happy if he manages to get his younger brother here too soon.

The club have managed this player retention period extremely well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2020 3:10 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Agreed the club have done well, Roby was one I could see on the Ottawa radar but a very useful player in two or three positions.

Back Row absolutely the priority now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2020 5:27 pm
(@snafu)

How about Lyons at scrum half and Smith at loose forward. IMO that would

work well and give us another ballplayer/kicker in the middle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2020 9:14 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

But Baker was more effective at loose forward and adds size in the middle.

See who else we sign and let TS do his job maybe?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2020 9:20 am
(@blue-viking)
Estimable Member

For me it is quite simple at championship level keep the players in there best positions is the best way to get the best out of the players, but I have heard the same thing that owens will be used at loose forward for at least spells next year which I ain’t to sure about personally.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2020 9:40 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

I can see Owens being used at Hooker again, he is a good footballer.

As for LF, depends what we are looking for, a Sinfield type LF who is effectively a second Stand Off or a Hep Cahill type extra Prop.

Owens could potentially play a Sinfield type role but I have to say I prefer Roby at FB if Owens moves.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2020 1:49 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Agreed the club have done well, Roby was one I could see on the Ottawa radar but a very useful player in two or three positions. Back Row absolutely the priority now.

Doesn't have the right agent!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2020 9:49 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

I can see Owens being used at Hooker again, he is a good footballer. As for LF, depends what we are looking for, a Sinfield type LF who is effectively a second Stand Off or a Hep Cahill type extra Prop. Owens could potentially play a Sinfield type role but I have to say I prefer Roby at FB if Owens moves.

As you say CJ  I can see Jack playing on as he was early this year with Lyons filling in as part of his learning process. Jack seems to be a big part of tactical decision making.

(Wasn't it a coach called Wilson at Saints who watched the game from the FB position?)

I don't think that Lyons will be seen as a 'permanent' FB. Still think that Baker will be LF mainly for his size.

TS is putting together a pack that he hopes will boss the show imo. Just hope that he can find a few more weighty specimens.

As an aside I think that a lot of his selection of players depends on whether they can understand what he wants out of them!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2020 7:44 am
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

No more signings imminent.

Waiting to see who comes available later on in the season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2020 3:56 pm
(@ratboy)
Reputable Member

No more signings imminent. Waiting to see who comes available later on in the season.

That makes sense with Covid 19 and no vaccination yet. Be interesting how long it will be until crowds are back again. Possibly without crowds Widnes TV could try and get more members, then have live games until crowds are back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/08/2020 12:52 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

I’d prefer to see us keep Owens at fullback.  He organises the defence really well and we just look a better side with him there. I’d probably start with Smith at scrum half, Tomkins at hooker and Lyons on the bench providing cover. He may force his way into a starting spot but we need competition for places either way. Unless one of the above players gets injured anyway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2020 3:24 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Assume you are going Danny at 6 then ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2020 4:52 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

I would expect more good stuff from Danny tbh, at last he has a coach who believes in him. TS is trying to give him a pack to play behind, then he can show us what he can do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2020 5:23 pm
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

I’d prefer to see us keep Owens at fullback. He organises the defence really well and we just look a better side with him there. I’d probably start with Smith at scrum half, Tomkins at hooker and Lyons on the bench providing cover. He may force his way into a starting spot but we need competition for places either way. Unless one of the above players gets injured anyway.

I fully agree with this. It is how we set up in the few games played this year. Lyons to be in the 17 for me  but on the bench.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2020 9:25 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

I’d prefer to see us keep Owens at fullback. He organises the defence really well and we just look a better side with him there. I’d probably start with Smith at scrum half, Tomkins at hooker and Lyons on the bench providing cover. He may force his way into a starting spot but we need competition for places either way. Unless one of the above players gets injured anyway.

I fully agree with this. It is how we set up in the few games played this year. Lyons to be in the 17 for me but on the bench.

Suits me, Jack may finish up at hooker, he is big enough, but atm he is better viewing from the rear and just spelling Tomkins occasionally.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2020 9:46 am
Page 16 / 18
Share: