Notifications
Clear all

2021 Squad

Page 11 / 18
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Listened to Tim Sheens on the radio, he said the Reserves are scrapped and he anticipates some SL players to become available as costs are cut.

Also made a thinly veiled reference to Ottawa targeting our players, but he sounded very enthusiastic and clear about the job to be done.

All good stuff at the minute.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/08/2020 5:35 pm
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

So much uncertainty out there at the moment, part time could be for all teams yet, including some SL teams if no crowds are allowed. if fev, Leigh or fraud are allowed to take TWP place without crowds would they be able to complete the season §.?

?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 7:35 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Good question! The loss of £280k is not insignificant. For SL teams you would think that either severe cuts will be needed, or the sugar daddies will be forking out even more.

But what of lower leagues who get the crumbs? The loss will be handed down for sure, and some clubs are on a tight rein already. Hard times ahead.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 7:47 am
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

So much uncertainty out there at the moment, part time could be for all teams yet, including some SL teams if no crowds are allowed. if fev, Leigh or fraud are allowed to take TWP place without crowds would they be able to complete the season §.?

?

sorry meant toulouse

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 8:32 am
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Paul Clough from Huddersfield in talks, apparently...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 7:38 pm
(@blue-viking)
Estimable Member

I have heard the same thing would be another experienced addition

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 8:54 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Paul Clough from Huddersfield in talks, apparently…

Was here a few years ago, did ok IMO but then went....

Certainly not shying away from experience in the pack!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 9:46 pm
(@steve-mcdonald)
Trusted Member

302 SL apps.

another solid signing for our pack.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 9:47 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

Clough has been released by Huddersfield today by mutual consent.

With SL clubs on £280k less for next season I can see a few of them having to trim squads by a couple of players each. With no SL reserve competition either I can see a lot of players looking for Championship contracts for 2021. As they will be mostly lower paid SL squad players, if they can manage to find employment (easier said than done at the moment) as well as a part time Championship contract, they will probably be on similar earnings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 10:04 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Always amuses me how Betts and Rule always would drop the line “we can’t find anyway players” well in the last 12 months we have signed Matty Smith, Tomkins, Jewit, Cook, Clough (potentially) all would have improved us in SL.

And don’t give me that nonsense about been part time has its advantage, it does but the issue in SL was greed from the board.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 10:05 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

It’s good the club can see our weaknesses and have strengthened them. For too long we’ve been bullied down the middle.

Think he was in the same academy team at Saints with Smith and Tyrer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 10:10 pm
(@vikingsinbradford)
Trusted Member

Wasn't Clough considered to be too small for a prop and injury prone last time he was here or am I getting him confused with somebody else?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 10:51 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Clough was here in 2014. He was decent and I thought he did fine, but others would disagree. Played over 300 games as said before, so should be what we need IMO.

Paul Johnson, also a Prop and also from Saints, was here at the same time and he was criticised for being a bit small too.

An upgrade on Moran though even if in the relative short term.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 11:16 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Can anyone help? In 2008 we played Salford on a Thursday night and we had three players on loan from Saints ( I believe) Smith, Dean and who?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 11:33 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Can anyone help? In 2008 we played Salford on a Thursday night and we had three players on loan from Saints ( I believe) Smith, Dean and who?

Ian Hardman and Steve Tyrer ??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2020 5:34 am
Page 11 / 18
Share: