Widnes are a part t...

Notifications
Clear all

Widnes are a part time squad

Page 1 / 2
(@djones)
Estimable Member

Yesterday, the squad was short of players, not because of injury. But because part time players were called into their full time job

No problem with that, they have to earn a living

At least that's the rumour.

Topic starter Posted : 30/08/2021 5:07 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

The match report in LE referred to injury and work commitments but never said how many. Whitehaven are part time as well.Plus all the others in the championship who managed to name 17.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2021 5:12 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Yesterday, the squad was short of players, not because of injury. But because part time players were called into their full time job No problem with that, they have to earn a living At least that’s the rumour.

2 players were working.

The lack of numbers is masking the problems anyway, they were 16 points up after 11 minutes. The game was done then.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2021 5:40 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Comes back round to the squad being too small in the beginning, an injury crisis or a covid flare up was always likely this year and we would be struggling.

Dress it up any way you want; you can go to Whitehaven and lose as much better Widnes teams than this have, but you don't get embarrassed by 60 and expect sympathy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2021 5:49 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

2 players were working. The lack of numbers is masking the problems anyway, they were 16 points up after 11 minutes. The game was done then.

Exactly.Said the same myself on Facebook when some people  were saying we only had 16 players.This was at halftime and 28 -nil.You can still compete for the first 40 minutes, you still have 13 on the pitch.I'm sure a few fans on social media thought we were playing with a man short, out on the field.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2021 6:46 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

16 men, 17, or even the bare 13, there is no excuse for lack of effort, and looking at the tries on Haven's site the effort was none existent.

No Widnes fan minds losing if the effort is there, but that was appalling yesterday.

I wonder if any of those 'workees'  were putting a shift in at Creamfields or Leeds Fest?

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2021 7:41 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

One of my pet hates in modern rugby is how people over complicate the game. Why do we need a full bench anyway, good solid pros cope and thrive over adversity.

It is almost like we were defeated before a ball was kicked, “we can’t win, we only three subs” bull.........

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2021 6:48 am
(@spideylizard)
Estimable Member

One of my pet hates in modern rugby is how people over complicate the game. Why do we need a full bench anyway, good solid pros cope and thrive over adversity. It is almost like we were defeated before a ball was kicked, “we can’t win, we only three subs” bull………

Not all of the players are conditioned to play 80mins. We’ve shown that throughout the season with second half capitulations. Sunday however was nothing to do with the bench as the game was over after 11 minutes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2021 9:09 am
(@spideylizard)
Estimable Member

16 men, 17, or even the bare 13, there is no excuse for lack of effort, and looking at the tries on Haven’s site the effort was none existent. No Widnes fan minds losing if the effort is there, but that was appalling yesterday. I wonder if any of those ‘workees’ were putting a shift in at Creamfields or Leeds Fest? Paulie xx

If there’s a chance players will go missing for vital games due to work maybe we shouldn’t be signing them in the first place

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2021 9:10 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

One of my pet hates in modern rugby is how people over complicate the game. Why do we need a full bench anyway, good solid pros cope and thrive over adversity. It is almost like we were defeated before a ball was kicked, “we can’t win, we only three subs” bull………

Not to mention that we have won games this season having only used 15/16 players anyway...

Don't think Widnes would be the first team to have players cry off from a trip to Cumbria, but very disappointing nonetheless.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2021 9:24 am
(@torn-sock-1)
Estimable Member

Also depends on circumstances. If someone is on a part time contract and they're on £150 win, £100 loss say to go up to Cumbria and get battered, or they can go get double time Bank Hol pay and earn £3/400 for not doing a great deal in a "normal" job which would you pick?

The issue surely has to be the first half performance/lack of.

If a small, tired team got blown away in the 2nd half with a lack of subs then whilst not great is understandable, but if they don't compete from minute 1 that's the issue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2021 11:37 am
(@the-vicar)
Estimable Member

If a small, tired team got blown away in the 2nd half with a lack of subs then whilst not great is understandable, but if they don’t compete from minute 1 that’s the issue.

Spot on  Torn Sock . The team are not tired after 11 mins . Defending , in any sport , but especially RL is as much if not more about attitude and application than technique .

We simply didn't fancy it on Sunday and that for any professional , part time or full time is not acceptable .

The Vicar

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2021 1:26 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

It seems that London are going part-time next season, and they have something we don’t … a wealthy backer.

I wonder whether the proposed reduction in  Sky money and it’s likely impact on Championship sides has had any bearing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 7:55 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

It seems that London are going part-time next season, and they have something we don’t … a wealthy backer. I wonder whether the proposed reduction in Sky money and it’s likely impact on Championship sides has had any bearing?

Certainly sounds like it according to their club statement.

The statement by the Wigan Chairman should be a warning bell for many clubs, with or without financial backers!

An interesting comparison inside the LE front page - Widnes declare that they are financially sound takes the top story but Wigan's chairman's tale of woe and long term debt takes a lower slot!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 8:02 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Further to the above Wigan are taking legal action against some of the clubs sponsors who are late with payments due to their own business problems due to Covid!

How to win friends!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 8:10 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: