When this is all ov...

Notifications
Clear all

When this is all over.

(@alan-the-mulk)

is it possible when this virus is finally over and rugby league gets back on track.. will we be able to pick up some players that other clubs could won't be needing.. any thoughts anyone.

Topic starter Posted : 01/04/2020 4:36 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

is it possible when this virus is finally over and rugby league gets back on track.. will we be able to pick up some players that other clubs could won’t be needing.. any thoughts anyone.

Why will other clubs not be needing players?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 5:11 pm
Davie
(@davie)
Eminent Member

Because some will no longer exist mebbe ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 5:55 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

What a  bizarre thought.Why would that cross anyone's mind at the moment ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/04/2020 9:35 am
(@ratboy)
Reputable Member

I think it was an April fools attempt

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/04/2020 2:10 pm
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

Personally I would not be surprised to see this season written off completely.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2020 1:02 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

I agree totally Geoff. Unlike soccer and yawnion, our season is only in its infancy, with clubs being a mere half a dozen-ish games into the campaign.

But, this is a total irrelevance at present, as we battle against this invisible killer, so.......

Stay safe one and all!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2020 5:09 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

And how does the sport manage when Sky don't pay up?

There will be several options on the cards for RL, but writing the season off won’t be one of them.

We have to play the season to fulfil the broadcasting rights of Sky. Without that Sky money we are gone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2020 8:29 pm
(@ratboy)
Reputable Member

We will finish the season even if we start in July. There is a long off season in Rugby league, and finishing in November would not be a problem.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2020 9:18 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

With a July start we would finish it I agree. The 1895 cup would be scrapped and so might the end of season play offs. It would be two games a week most weeks which is very tough on the players. Imagine the reserve league could be suspended to help share the first team load and SL might need to ditch the loop fixtures.
Any later than July and it would need a drastic restructuring though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2020 9:44 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

I agree, but I think we could still start again in august and finish the season, by playing each team just once instead of twice. This would mean clubs losing some money, with not as many home games, but would be better than having the season cancelled.
By doing this, there would probably be time to complete the challenge cup games as well, but we might have to change the date of the final, and possibly the venue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2020 10:15 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

IF (a big if), the season could start in mid-July, there would be 22/23 weeks to complete the season by mid December. The season could even be extended into 2021.

There is then no reason why the league games could not be played without too many, if any, weeks requiring teams to play two games. The play-offs could be abandoned, together with the 1895 cup to ease the pressure on teams.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2020 5:12 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Well I hope we can have something of a season,  when all is well

knowing my luck the fixtures will be rearranged so we play Toulouse at home on the August date that I have booked my flights and hotel for the away fixture

a dilemma I know, I know what I will do though !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2020 6:01 pm
Share: