Notifications
Clear all

Wane to replace Bennett ?

(@anotherposter)
Reputable Member

Reported as Shaun Wane is set to replace a soon to be sacked Wayne Bennett

should make a few people a bit happier ...

Topic starter Posted : 02/02/2020 11:09 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

Been confirmed now. I think that’s good news, I don’t think a coach that lives in Australia and coaches a NRL  side over there as well, can give the attention needed to the Great Britain job, he can only see the players on film not in person, and even then I don’t think he would have had enough time to watch them properly, with him being busy coaching a NRL side and preparing them for matches.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2020 12:09 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Top appointment in my opinion!

His style of football at Pies wasn't the most spectacular, but it brought results, and we are in the results business.

Even in the decades that I've been a fan, I've yet to personally witness a series / comp, where we've got the better of the Convicts. Is that about to change come the Autumn? Time will tell, but we have a Brit in charge, whose day job is not within a stone's throw of the Opera House, and Harbour Bridge!

All power to your elbow Shaun!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2020 6:49 pm
(@rafe-wrench)
Trusted Member

Was it 1958 last time in this country? Even I wasn't quite around back then.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2020 6:54 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Was it 1958 last time in this country? Even I wasn’t quite around back then.

'59 I think mate, which was before I was hooked on RL. The first time I saw the Aussies live was when they put 50 past GB in the second test at Station Road in '63. A few weeks later Swinton and the tourists drew 2-2.

We won a series in  '70 Down Under, but the only tour I've done was '92. It did of course include that magical night in Melbourne, but we still lost the series 2-1. Reg Bowden was the organiser, and the legendary Pat Price was on the same tour as me. Top lady! Sadly missed.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2020 9:33 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Change needed to happen, the winter tour was a disgrace- good luck to Shaun, excellent track record at Wigan.

Interesting to see Sinfield go too..

We need to at least get to the final on Home Soil, 2013 was a good tournament, but suffered from us losing against NZ in the semi.

Sure our coach remembers that tournament fondly as well!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2020 9:57 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Change needed to happen, the winter tour was a disgrace- good luck to Shaun, excellent track record at Wigan. Interesting to see Sinfield go too.. We need to at least get to the final on Home Soil, 2013 was a good tournament, but suffered from us losing against NZ in the semi. Sure our coach remembers that tournament fondly as well!!

In international football, I've had some disappointments over the years (third test defeats etc) but that afternoon at Wembley, will (for the wrong reasons) live with me forever! My mates and I said nowt when Johnson went over, we just looked at each other in disbelief!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2020 10:10 pm
Share: