Notifications
Clear all

Todays game

Page 1 / 3
 J.Mc
(@j-mc)
Eminent Member

That was a turn up for the books, was expecting a hiding and came away very proud of that display

Topic starter Posted : 22/08/2021 4:44 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Excellent performance, probably the best so far this season. Solid defensively, moved the ball well and far fewer errors than we have seen in recent games. A few moments of real quality in attack as well. Hopefully we can maintain this level or something like it for the remaining games this season. Might sell a few more season tickets if so.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 4:51 pm
(@primrose-viking)
Estimable Member

That was a turn up for the books, was expecting a hiding and came away very proud of that display

Very good performance.

Some nice movement and solid in the forwards

Enjoyable experience

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 4:53 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Everyone put in a good shift and we deserved the win.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 5:14 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

Very good second half, keeping Halifax scoreless and scoring 2 tries ourselves..

And surprise surprise, we’ve won a game and only 4 people have posted on this thread, but when we lose the doom mongers are all out saying how bad we are and will be getting relegated this year or next.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 5:21 pm
(@primrose-viking)
Estimable Member

Very good second half, keeping Halifax scoreless and scoring 2 tries ourselves.. And surprise surprise, we’ve won a game and only 4 people have posted on this thread, but when we lose the doom mongers are all out saying how bad we are and will be getting relegated this year or next.

In fairness the doom merchants probably did nt go

Only true fans went

Those who go regardless of the performance

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 5:24 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

I never went to the game today, but made up at a decent performance and a good win. I must start predicting Widnes to lose every week. Listening to Merseyside, Steve Tyrer had another good game and mentions of decent performances from Clough, Hulme and Lawton.

I guess there are a lot of fans who have not gone to games for their own good reasons this season. Just hope we can finish the season on a high note and a few more signings announced. This could then have a positive effect next season.

Credit to the team and the coach. Not many expected us to beat Halifax today, including most fans I suspect.

What was the attendance?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 5:39 pm
Martin
(@martin)
Prominent Member

It was a really professional effort, made especially more enjoyable by the noise that came from the crowd; so good to hear. Tyrer a great effort for MOTM never afraid to take the ball up and his back pass for our second try was breathtaking especially after the injury just a minute earlier. Lawton too needs some praise for his running and offloads and Baker is a great capture with some great drives. Halifax were poor, easy to say now but on fifty minutes we were only four points up so the game could of gone either way especially with our track record. Jack Owens needs to concentrate on keeping the long passes from going forward😀😀 Best performance of the season, onwards and upwards👍👍

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 5:42 pm
(@primrose-viking)
Estimable Member

It was a really professional effort, made especially more enjoyable by the noise that came from the crowd; so good to hear. Tyrer a great effort for MOTM never afraid to take the ball up and his back pass for our second try was breathtaking especially after the injury just a minute earlier. Lawton too needs some praise for his running and offloads and Baker is a great capture with some great drives. Halifax were poor, easy to say now but on fifty minutes we were only four points up so the game could of gone either way especially with our track record. Jack Owens needs to concentrate on keeping the long passes from going forward😀😀 Best performance of the season, onwards and upwards👍👍

I've not been a fan of lawton

But today he made some excellent decisions and worked harder as well.

We seemed solid down the middle and a decent kicking game also.

Halifax could have easily pressed ahead and taken this game so it was a very good win

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 5:56 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Not surprise Lawton had his best game playing on the left edge with Craven.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 6:06 pm
(@chemical-bro)

I thought we looked better today  without Smith. With Owens passing the ball it seemed much quicker. Danny Cravens kicking game was very good too, regularly splitting the wing and fullback. I also thought  both wingers dealt with some very tricky high balls, Kenny Baker was once again tireless and got through loads of work.
With the addition of a few props next season we should have a decent team.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 6:15 pm
 Owl
(@owl)
Trusted Member

All of the younger players were busy today..............attitude rubbed off on the older.

Grady and Clough...........much better than of late and it was their efforts , together with youngsters, in the first 20 mins of the second half that won it.............in this period the game could have gone either way as Halifax looked for weakness in the home defence down the centre. Last 15 , panic from Fax..........looking for two scores ruined any chance they had.....coach will not be happy they didn`t need to do it .....helped Widnes no end as we all know Widnes are liable to collapse under pressure. Would not have liked to go into the last 10 mins just one score up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 6:45 pm
(@tonyvikinggee)
Estimable Member

I was not looking forward  to today, we looked light in the pack and recent showing have me in a negative frame of mind with Widnes. But what an improved showing.

Lawton, i have been slating him all season, and i believe rightly so, but today he was quality. He was defending further in for most of the game, took some good hard runs and looked like he wanted to put in some shots in D. If he played like that every week we would have a superstar championship player on our hands.

Craven has been off his game the last few weeks but today his kicking performance was superb, think he only once failed to find the plastic when he was kicking long. Defended well and looked sharp in attack.

Tbh across the park we looked like we really wanted the win, the crowd was up ( maybe not in numbers ) and the atmosphere was a bit better. All in all a very positive day of Rugby league.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 6:50 pm
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

Excellent performance, probably the best so far this season. Solid defensively, moved the ball well and far fewer errors than we have seen in recent games. A few moments of real quality in attack as well. Hopefully we can maintain this level or something like it for the remaining games this season. Might sell a few more season tickets if so.

summed up my thoughts exactly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 6:57 pm
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

There’s no way to say this without it sounding a bit insulting to him, but I thought that in playing without Smith today it enabled other players to take the lead and be a little more adventurous. Possibly coincidental, but the energy of youth came through today.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2021 7:05 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: