Tim Sheens new job

Notifications
Clear all

Tim Sheens new job

Page 1 / 2
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

<p style="text-align: left;">He’s been named coach of the Combined Nations All Star team, who are playing England at Warrington at the end of June, as a warm up for the World Cup.
So it looks like he didn’t go home after leaving Widnes.</p>

Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2021 2:17 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

He stayed here. Think he and his wife are up for staying longer term, they were working towards dual-citizenship.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2021 3:58 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

Going over old ground again, but I still find it odd that no comment was made from either party. To this day we don't know why he left. But we do now know he's still in the country,  still interested in coaching rugby with the All Stars but with no permanent RL position.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2021 4:31 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

It’s looking like it was either money or finding out we were going to get rid of the under 21’s., that made him leave.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2021 4:41 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Whatever the reason, he was a great asset to the club and I wish him well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2021 4:52 pm
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

Asset ? He coached 7 games, shall we induct  him into the hall of fame ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2021 7:17 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Not being funny or argumentative but what exactly was his contribution, apart from his name being Tim Sheens ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2021 10:29 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

That's a fair question Sinbad and I'll try to answer it (hopefully without boring you by going over some of the same points that were made on this forum after Tim Sheens left the club).

• TS is a respected person in RL and his name alone generated media interest and raised the profile of the club. With  his extensive experience, he stabilised the club and gave hope to some fans after the poor performances of the last three (younger) coaches. I have no real evidence, but surely his reputation alone would be a draw when the club were searching to recruit experienced players.
  • Despite his mediocre performance at HKR, it is difficult to ignore his enviable coaching record in the game  His said he planned to develop and give confidence to younger players and, in my opinion, even though he was only here for a short while, his tactics changed the style of playing and made the game more open and interesting.
  • TS is an excellent communicator, knowledgeable, open and honest with fans. He was a breath of fresh air at forums, on the radio and in James' podcast, and whilst trying to be positive he also admitted that we would struggle for a while.

I'm old enough to understand that many people will disagree with my views, but it's my opinion that someone of Tim Sheens proven calibre had a lot to offer this club. Nevertheless, he has moved on and we have now another coach who needs our support. I hope that he can pick up where TS left off and put out a side on the pitch that is both successful and entertaining.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2021 10:25 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

That’s a fair question Sinbad and I’ll try to answer it (hopefully without boring you by going over some of the same points that were made on this forum after Tim Sheens left the club).

• TS is a respected person in RL and his name alone generated media interest and raised the profile of the club. With his extensive experience, he stabilised the club and gave hope to some fans after the poor performances of the last three (younger) coaches. I have no real evidence, but surely his reputation alone would be a draw when the club were searching to recruit experienced players.
  • Despite his mediocre performance at HKR, it is difficult to ignore his enviable coaching record in the game His said he planned to develop and give confidence to younger players and, in my opinion, even though he was only here for a short while, his tactics changed the style of playing and made the game more open and interesting.
  • TS is an excellent communicator, knowledgeable, open and honest with fans. He was a breath of fresh air at forums, on the radio and in James’ podcast, and whilst trying to be positive he also admitted that we would struggle for a while.

I’m old enough to understand that many people will disagree with my views, but it’s my opinion that someone of Tim Sheens proven calibre had a lot to offer this club. Nevertheless, he has moved on and we have now another coach who needs our support. I hope that he can pick up where TS left off and put out a side on the pitch that is both successful and entertaining.

Totally agree with these comments. He was certainly a surprise appointment at the time and did bring a degree of optimism to the club after the disastrous period prior to his arrival.

As said, he has moved on and so has the club. We now have a new manager whose commitment to the club and the town is unquestionable. Hopefully he can develop the team to play open and entertaining rugby and be competitive in the Championship with an aim of achieving promotion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2021 11:33 am
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

Not being funny or argumentative but what exactly was his contribution, apart from his name being Tim Sheens ?

Nothing, people need to stop asking why he left the club, the real question is why he joined the club.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2021 12:23 pm
(@the-ghost-of-ethel)
Estimable Member

It’s looking like it was either money or finding out we were going to get rid of the under 21’s., that made him leave.

My guess is that it was money.

Like most of the country he would have been furloughed at the time and with that due to end on 31st October, but no sign of sport resuming, there would have been no way of paying him for the forseeable.

Good old Boris announced on the final day of the scheme that it was being extended, maybe if they had given more notice he could have stayed, as it wouldn't have cost much to keep him on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2021 3:54 pm
 ma
(@ma)
Trusted Member

Very well made points from Former Chemic that any open-minded person would acknowledge. Circumstances meant he didn't develop the squad the way he wanted but he did indeed create a sense of intrigue and a different perception of the club. A shame it didn't work out but onwards and upwards with Finnegan.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/03/2021 9:09 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

And he could have sat on his butt and got paid, but instead he signed what the club needed early and let the club save a few quid.

I would guess that nobody in that squad would tell you that they gained from his presence in the way they thought sbout the game. I certainly don't know anyone who heard him at the few supporters evenings who thought that they had wasted their time listening.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/03/2021 10:09 pm
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

I seem to recall talk about the club not being able to afford to keep his Assistant and Sheens left shortly after. A great shame that we didn’t really get to see the great man for a full season, but he left us a great parting gift in the players he had attracted so good luck to him!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/03/2021 10:21 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

I seem to recall talk about the club not being able to afford to keep his Assistant and Sheens left shortly after. A great shame that we didn’t really get to see the great man for a full season, but he left us a great parting gift in the players he had attracted so good luck to him!

Well said, I think the lads who signed up most recently all cited as Sheens as one of the reasons they signed. Sadly, it is going to be one of those cases of ‘what if’ when we look back in a couple of years but there is no doubting the mans talent and capability - just look at his record over the past three decades and it really is a pity from a fan’s perspective that he chose to leave.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/03/2021 10:29 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: