Notifications
Clear all

Snooker Query

(@spelly)
Noble Member

I know some of you out there, are fans of the green baize, so he's another query if you could answer it please.

The other day, Mackenzie and I were playing, and he went in off. However, just as I'd placed the white in the D, my hand caught the green, giving (I presume) four away, so...…………….

Could he then have moved the cue ball to elsewhere in the D? We decided not, and he played it from where I'd left it, but we were far from confident that we'd acted correctly!

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Spelly.

Topic starter Posted : 17/10/2020 7:53 pm
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

You give 4 away and your grandson did right by playing from where you placed the white as it was active and in play. He could however ask you to play again from where the white was placed by yourself.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2020 11:24 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

You give 4 away and your grandson did right by playing from where you placed the white as it was active and in play. He could however ask you to play again from where the white was placed by yourself.

Thanks mate.

I actually e-mailed the WPBSA about this, and received a reply from no less than top ref Jan Verhaas!

You're quite right in your answer, but he also added the caveat of if I'd let go of the white, and then touched the green afterwards, the cue ball could then have been moved to anywhere in the D.

I'll be tuned in tonight for the quarters, watching players who have talent that I can only dream of!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/12/2020 6:48 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

12.55am. Just watched the epic of the Robertson v Trump final.

Over an hour for the last frame, with the Aussie finally sealing it on the pink.

Trump so gracious in defeat.

Superb entertainment.

Just wish I had a mere fraction of their talent!

Right - Bed time!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/12/2020 1:01 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

We've come up with another, but this time in billiards.

As previously, I've e-mailed the WPBSA, but it's normally a couple of weeks before they reply, so I'd like your opinions (certainties?) on this please!

In our last two games, we've come across touching ball scenario, where the two whites appeared welded together, which when there's only three balls on the table, seems highly unlikely, but happen twice it did.

So could we play away, and hit the red for a cannon, or play away, and pocket the cue ball for an in-off?

We decided no to both, but it was only a guess.

I'll let you know what the ruling is when they e-mail me back, but meantime, what do you reckon please?

Thank you in advance.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/01/2021 7:11 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

I had the reply from the WPBSA today, and I was amazed at the answer.

The red is placed on its spot, the non-striker's white goes on the centre spot, and the striker plays from out of the D.

I would never have guessed that in a million years.

Watched the Masters last night, and what a talent Yan is! Not yet 21, and already a winner of one of the "Big Three" titles the game has to offer.

I have a 6' x 3' table (ten reds) and if I make a twenty break I'm happy! I cleared the six colours one night last week, for 27, but only with the help of a fluke on the blue!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/01/2021 5:46 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Awesome final at the Crucible!

Murphy so magnanimous in defeat. Selby a gentleman in victory.

Great to see a packed auditorium.

Just wish I had a mere fraction of the talent (and bottle) of these guys!

Loved every minute of it!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/05/2021 9:30 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Looking forward to being able to go back down to the snooker hall on May 17th for sure!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2021 5:33 pm
widneslatic
(@widneslatic)
Reputable Member

Awesome final at the Crucible! Murphy so magnanimous in defeat. Selby a gentleman in victory. Great to see a packed auditorium. Just wish I had a mere fraction of the talent (and bottle) of these guys! Loved every minute of it! Spelly.

It was indeed, just a shame they let themselves down on a few occasions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2021 7:32 pm
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

I had the reply from the WPBSA today, and I was amazed at the answer. The red is placed on its spot, the non-striker’s white goes on the centre spot, and the striker plays from out of the D. I would never have guessed that in a million years. Watched the Masters last night, and what a talent Yan is! Not yet 21, and already a winner of one of the “Big Three” titles the game has to offer. I have a 6′ x 3′ table (ten reds) and if I make a twenty break I’m happy! I cleared the six colours one night last week, for 27, but only with the help of a fluke on the blue! Spelly.

Ive never really played billiards but am aware of the basics of the game and, as you say, you’d never have guessed that answer though it makes perfect sense!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2021 8:12 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

We've come up with another query!

Mackenzie and I were playing snooker earlier, and this happened..........

We were down to the last four colours, when I fouled on the brown, snookering him, so it was a free ball.........

The brown was hanging over the pocket, but completely blocked by the black, so he nominated the black as the brown to pot the brown with a plant, but...........

He ended up potting both the brown and the black!

After a lonnnnnnnnnnng discussion, we came up that he'd potted two "browns" to score eight, leaving the brown in the pocket, re-spotting the black, and went on to the blue.

Do you reckon we were right?

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/05/2022 9:08 pm
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

@spelly Correct you potted two browns for a score of 8 points.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2022 8:54 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member
Posted by: @mick-george

Thanks mate!

I'm glad we gt it right!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/05/2022 10:57 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member
Posted by: @spelly
Posted by: @mick-george

Thanks mate!

I'm glad we gt it right!

Spelly.

Just had an answer back from the PBSA, and the score is four points and not eight, as only one brown is on the table at any time.

The brown stays down, the black is re-spotted, and blue is next.

It is obviously a different scenario if reds are on the table.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/05/2022 2:36 pm
Share: