(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Win more games than lose.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2021 8:45 pm
Martin
(@martin)
Prominent Member

For me he was the cheap alternative when given the job and I still think the same. I don’t accept “they are not his players” all that is down to the coach to do just that “coach” . we may have had a decent end of the season five wins from six but that means we won three others from sixteen and some very badly. Still always next season is a phase a lot of our supporters are saying with too much hope in their voices.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2021 8:53 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

If we finish Top 6 and make the SL2, he has done the business for next year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2021 8:55 pm
(@widiot)
Reputable Member

Prepared to give him some time at the start of next season, but if it is the case that we need to finish in the top 6 and we don’t start well we will have to make a change. I see Salford have parted ways with Richard Marshall!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2021 9:51 pm
(@d-day)
Estimable Member

Top 6, no excuses.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2021 9:52 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

For me he was the cheap alternative when given the job and I still think the same. I don’t accept “they are not his players” all that is down to the coach to do just that “coach” . we may have had a decent end of the season five wins from six but that means we won three others from sixteen and some very badly. Still always next season is a phase a lot of our supporters are saying with too much hope in their voices.

Who or what was he the cheap alternative to ? Would the players who signed for Sheens - citing Tim as the reason they signed - and then not showing up count as Finnigan’s players ?

I think you are being a bit harsh Martin.

I think top 6 is the bar for success next season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2021 9:55 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Top six for me. Think that is a reasonable and achievable objective.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2021 10:20 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member

How can you win "very badly"?  A win is a win.

I reckon SF is turning into a decent coach for us.

Agree top 6 at least next season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2021 8:10 am
Martin
(@martin)
Prominent Member

How can you win “very badly”? A win is a win. I reckon SF is turning into a decent coach for us. Agree top 6 at least next season.

That was terrible grammar from me Sunny, I meant some of our loses were Very Bad.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2021 8:31 am
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

Correct they are his players.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2021 8:39 am
Martin
(@martin)
Prominent Member

Who or what was he the cheap alternative to ? Would the players who signed for Sheens – citing Tim as the reason they signed – and then not showing up count as Finnigan’s players ? I think you are being a bit harsh Martin. I think top 6 is the bar for success next season.

Its just my opinion RV, he lives in Widnes and therefore no travel expenses and I'm sure he wanted to get close to home and I'm sure there was other more experienced expensive coaches interviewed. Not sure what you mean about other players not turning up. If you mean Tompkins I was talking to a current SL player on Saturday and he said its a load of rubbish there is nothing wrong with him. His job now is a fireman and works four on four off and just cant be bothered and using his foot as an excuse. A bit harsh I might be RV but it was a disastrous season one i am glad to see the back of but you cant keep saying that year after year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2021 8:44 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Whenever a coach takes over at any club, he inherits a group of players.Those players are 'his' players even though he never signed them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2021 10:18 am
(@glynn)
Honorable Member

top 6

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2021 10:44 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Who or what was he the cheap alternative to ? Would the players who signed for Sheens – citing Tim as the reason they signed – and then not showing up count as Finnigan’s players ? I think you are being a bit harsh Martin. I think top 6 is the bar for success next season.

Its just my opinion RV, he lives in Widnes and therefore no travel expenses and I’m sure he wanted to get close to home and I’m sure there was other more experienced expensive coaches interviewed. Not sure what you mean about other players not turning up. If you mean Tompkins I was talking to a current SL player on Saturday and he said its a load of rubbish there is nothing wrong with him. His job now is a fireman and works four on four off and just cant be bothered and using his foot as an excuse. A bit harsh I might be RV but it was a disastrous season one i am glad to see the back of but you cant keep saying that year after year.

I agree that 2021 has been a disastrous season for the club and Finnegan has to carry some of the blame for the poor performances. As coach, he is responsible for getting the best out of players, irrespective of whether or not he signed them. To be fair, he was dealt a bad hand with the team he inherited, with a small squad and players carrying injuries throughout the season.

There were a few posters on here at the beginning of the season, correctly predicting that we were not good enough to get to the play-offs this year;  and an 8th place in the league may actually be a decent finish to some fans. The biggest issue seemed to be the inconsistency in performances, with embarrassing results against Batley, Toulouse and Whitehaven. This was probably not helped by having a small squad and injuries to key players.

Perhaps with Finnegan being local and his links to the club and the town could be seen as a positive and not a cheap option. I presume that the club determined the salary for the coach and this was made known to applicants. Who were the other candidates anyway who were a more expensive options?

As has been said, a top 6 finish is a must in 2022 and Finnegan and the team will be judged on the teams' performances on the pitch and finishing position in the league.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2021 11:12 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: