Notifications
Clear all

Salford Move

Page 1 / 4
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Various reports of Salford moving to Moor Lane (now home to Salford City FC) with Sale and the football club having the AJ Bell.

Capacity at Moor Lane is about 5,000.

What happened to all this stuff about minimum standards etc?

Also, is the the nail in the coffin of Salford as a top flight club going forward?

Although, having 3,500 in a 5000 ground is better for atmosphere and look than 3,500 in a 13,000 ground!

Topic starter Posted : 17/10/2021 1:04 pm
widneslatic
(@widneslatic)
Reputable Member

Various reports of Salford moving to Moor Lane (now home to Salford City FC) with Sale and the football club having the AJ Bell. Capacity at Moor Lane is about 5,000. What happened to all this stuff about minimum standards etc? Also, is the the nail in the coffin of Salford as a top flight club going forward? Although, having 3,500 in a 5000 ground is better for atmosphere and look than 3,500 in a 13,000 ground!

Moor Lane is a decent Stadium, been renovated a lot since Salford City's non league days (no doubt helped by all the money that the "Class of 92" have pumped into them).

The only problem is, again, the location.

They're moving from the outskirts of the City to the outskirts of the City, as the Stadium is situated very close to Prestwich (which comes under Bury Council control).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 1:53 pm
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

They are only moving as the Stadium is up for sale by the council. Nail in the coffin really, they are doing what is best for their club. Perhaps WV could learn a thing or two on how to run a club.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 1:59 pm
(@anotherposter)
Reputable Member

Its been on going for a few months now, from a cost perspective it's beneficial to them , think the council are getting rid of their stake in the aj bell so they would have to actually start paying rent .....

But ...the fans say the aj bell is too far away ,well this place is right out in the sticks in the complete opposite direction so I'd be surprised if they hit a 1000 for a home game

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 2:01 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Not a great move for Salford as far as I can see, both location and capacity.Only one direction from this point.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 2:41 pm
(@darth-vadar)
Trusted Member

What a poor advert for the popularity of Super League and Rugby League in general.

When is the sport going to stop kidding itself that it is a 'big player' and accept that it is a regional sport at best with little or no appeal outside of those boundaries.

But, hey, so long as we have two French teams in the premier competition so what eh?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 2:50 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Honestly don't mind the French sides, they have a history of playing the game in the area. Far more sensible to have them than Toronto or Ottawa!!

As for the Salford issue, its not finalised but lets be honest, the local authorities in that area haven't been overly successful in helping Swinton find a sustainable permanent home.

I honestly think Franchising was the worst thing to happen to the sport because people focus on corporate issues more than what matters; the rugby. I also think its led to more argument and derision towards non elite clubs.

In any case, going back, Hunslet and Dewsbury were not allowed in SL because of their stadia, so there was a system on place predating all the licensing nonsense by a good 9 or 10 years!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/10/2021 3:07 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

What a poor advert for the popularity of Super League and Rugby League in general. When is the sport going to stop kidding itself that it is a ‘big player’ and accept that it is a regional sport at best with little or no appeal outside of those boundaries. But, hey, so long as we have two French teams in the premier competition so what eh?

It isn't a good look.How many years have Salford been in SL ? Must be 20 out of the 25 years since it began.All that Sky income and they are moving into a non league football ground with a capacity not much more than the Manchester Apollo theatre.The game passed its station long ago, trying to pretend to be something it isn't.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 4:02 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

And for much of that they, along with Wakey, were promising upgrading their stadia but spending there money elsewhere.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 5:34 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

The stadia thing has always been a bit of a misnomer for me.

As long as it isn't unsafe or lacking in decent toilet/refreshment facilities I don't necessarily thing it should ever be considered more important than the team on the field or the players produced by a club.

Doncaster play at a really good ground but they are a long way short of SL standard.

Cas play at a poor ground but get the crowds, have a team and produce players.....

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/10/2021 5:58 pm
widneslatic
(@widneslatic)
Reputable Member

Its been on going for a few months now, from a cost perspective it’s beneficial to them , think the council are getting rid of their stake in the aj bell so they would have to actually start paying rent ….. But …the fans say the aj bell is too far away ,well this place is right out in the sticks in the complete opposite direction so I’d be surprised if they hit a 1000 for a home game

It's not.

You're literally a stones throw away from Prestwich and Salford Uni's Student Quarter (Kersal and Higher Broughton).

It's easy to get to too, as Moor Lane is situated just off Bury New Road (A56), but the big problem for Salford is that there isn't many Rugby fans round there, but luckily the transport links are better than they are going to the AJ Bell.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 6:30 pm
widneslatic
(@widneslatic)
Reputable Member

Looks decent, if a little small.

Reminds me a bit of Accy Stanley's Wham Stadium (only slightly better).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 6:33 pm
widneslatic
(@widneslatic)
Reputable Member

What a poor advert for the popularity of Super League and Rugby League in general. When is the sport going to stop kidding itself that it is a ‘big player’ and accept that it is a regional sport at best with little or no appeal outside of those boundaries. But, hey, so long as we have two French teams in the premier competition so what eh?

It isn’t a good look.How many years have Salford been in SL ? Must be 20 out of the 25 years since it began.All that Sky income and they are moving into a non league football ground with a capacity not much more than the Manchester Apollo theatre.The game passed its station long ago, trying to pretend to be something it isn’t.

Salford City are in League 2 (Division 4 for the older posters)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 6:46 pm
widneslatic
(@widneslatic)
Reputable Member

Honestly don’t mind the French sides, they have a history of playing the game in the area. Far more sensible to have them than Toronto or Ottawa!! As for the Salford issue, its not finalised but lets be honest, the local authorities in that area haven’t been overly successful in helping Swinton find a sustainable permanent home. I honestly think Franchising was the worst thing to happen to the sport because people focus on corporate issues more than what matters; the rugby. I also think its led to more argument and derision towards non elite clubs. In any case, going back, Hunslet and Dewsbury were not allowed in SL because of their stadia, so there was a system on place predating all the licensing nonsense by a good 9 or 10 years!

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Swinton moved in with Salford.

Let's be honest, it would be a lot closer to their spiritual home than bleedin' Sale is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 6:54 pm
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

It would be interesting to get Spelly's view on Swinton sharing a ground with Salford!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2021 7:33 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: