Notifications
Clear all

Props

Page 1 / 2
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

I don’t pretend to know all the new players as yet, but other than the Chapelows, who have we got at prop?

Just concerned we might be a bit light - literally!

Topic starter Posted : 22/01/2020 8:59 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Just them 4 mentioned.

Think Moran will be a good player for us this season. Looks a decent size too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2020 9:38 pm
(@ratboy)
Reputable Member

Toby and Luke Adamson linked from Love Rugby League

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2020 11:11 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

Toby and Luke both played for Leigh last year and are now free agents. I can't see it myself as both are back rowers who we have plenty of cover for.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2020 8:44 am
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

I wondered about Moran, but was unsure. With him and Farnworth that gets us to four, so we have two on pitch and two on bench for interchange, but nothing in reserve for when injuries occur? What about academy?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/01/2020 9:23 am
(@anotherposter)
Reputable Member

<p style="text-align: left;">All we actually need are hard running forwards with a bit of size , skill and aggression</p>
Where they pack down is irrelevant now in an era of uncontested scrums

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2020 10:09 am
 Owl
(@owl)
Trusted Member

<p style=”text-align: left;”>All we actually need are hard running forwards with a bit of size , skill and aggression</p> Where they pack down is irrelevant now in an era of uncontested scrums

Yes I would agree with that the word prop is from the past.

Its players who do the donkey work on escape sets etc. for which the skills needed are go straight hard and dont lose the ball or big players that get one on one with a little/medium guy and have an impact/make a break and can offload. Widnes atm have the former but none of the latter.-they are few and far between in the game atm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2020 11:42 am
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

Ok swap the word prop for front rower or middle. What we ideally need is someone 6'3 to 6'5 and 17.5 stone. Someone that can play down the middle and make the hard yards.

What we don't need (in my opinion) is someone about 6" and around 15 to 15.5 stone who is hard working, a good defender but doesn't make any yards at the point of contact. That is were we have gone wrong in the past getting bullied and tired out with smaller players trying to stop the bigger guys and using too much energy. Yes you need 3 or 4 of these type of players in the squad, to play in the back row. Wide running players with a bit of pace like Ben Currie. But their is no substitute for a couple of 17.5 to 18 stone blokes provided they have the fitness and aggression required to play in the middle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2020 6:50 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

Sam Hopkins has just signed for Rochdale, played a lot of games for Leigh including a season in SL. Signed for Wigan but didn't work out for him did also had a season for Toronto in 2018. Shows props are available but I guess Sheens is waiting for the right player.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2020 8:47 pm
(@cartman)

Callum O’Neill

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2020 9:24 pm
(@ratboy)
Reputable Member

Callum O'Neil looked decent but is not very big. We also need an experienced yardage prop with size.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2020 12:44 am
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Wait and see how Moran goes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2020 8:20 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

Moran will go well, impressive in pre season, especially against Cas at loose forward. But we only have 4 frontline props and you need 6. Sheens has said the same, but said it's not an issue for game one. More when we pick up injury or suspensions. Hinting we are going to sign someone but are in no rush. I can see a SL loan signing happening 6 weeks in once the squads have settled down.

Baker can play prop and Sheens says he actually prefers to play in the middle. Again I think he's been impressive in the back row in pre season and would give him a starting spot vs Oldham.  O'neil could play the odd game off the bench, but I think he's a bit young yet and can gain experience in the reserves.

Wigan have a lot of props in this years squad so could see us taking one on a months loan, Byrne or Bullock perhaps or as I have stated previously Kibula from Warrington.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2020 10:16 pm
(@albion13)
Eminent Member

I think Pat Moran will be our find of the season.

I have seen quite a lot of him over last couple of years, and he is a decent player, he just needed the opportunity that we have given him

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/01/2020 7:34 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

Jay Chapelhow is out for 6-8 weeks. Ninja tackle, done for his ankle.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/01/2020 4:31 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: