Notifications
Clear all

Leythers

(@spelly)
Noble Member

There's a thread on RL Fans about how (un)fairly Beaumont's Boys have been treated, so I'll open it up on here. What's your opinion?

Mine is that they were fully aware of the less money scenario before a ball was kicked, and should stop moaning. I have precisely 0% sympathy for 'em.

They've proved for a third time to be not good enough for SL, and 101% deserve to be relegated, just as do we, as we head for the likes of Llanelli come next term.

It's a harsh and unforgiving world out there!

Spelly.

Topic starter Posted : 14/09/2021 8:00 am
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member

Why do they feel unfairly treated?

Everyone knew what was going to happen, everyone knew it would cost Duffy his job, but they took the ticket anyway.  Fair play for what they put together but they massively underestimated the task in hand on the field.

Leigh need to stop signing journeymen and have a 3-5 year plan.  No surprise they struggle for a head coach due to their owner (I know 2 very well known names that have turned the Leigh job down in the last 3 months).  As soon as Beaumont takes a back seat and lets a strong coach work at growing the club they'll improve.  If they keep the bulk of this years squad and try and improve in the Championship with a view to going back up in 2023 they may have a better chance.

Beaumont and Koukash will be a head coaches worst nightmare, I don't think much will change anytime soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2021 8:25 am
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

It was obvious that taking a SL place in the circumstances was a poison chalice and they knew what they were getting into.
Actually think it was shoddy behaviour from the other clubs to not allow them equal funding but it’s not as if they didn’t know this. So no sympathy from me though I’m glad they at least managed to get the odd win.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2021 9:24 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

While they knew what the situation would be regarding funding, they perhaps couldn't have pre-empted the situation with COVID affecting not only games, but the ability to recruit players.

That said, it's been the same for everyone and they've been pretty awful.

I have a little bit of sympathy at the manner in which some of their rivals have picked up wins - like when Castleford threw their game against Salford - but that's just life unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2021 9:44 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Beaumont is a businessman and knew exactly what he was doing when he took up the challenge of going into SL in 2021.

He got £1.2m (?) central funding and increased season ticket sales/gate receipts. If you have a look at their fans forum, it would appear that he kept the players on their Championship contracts and only brought in a few new players. Leigh have been guaranteed a parachute payment following relegation. If they had stayed in the Championship, what central funding would they have received, with the likelihood of not being promoted in 2021 behind Featherstone and Toulouse?

He took a punt that they may have just about manage to avoid relegation in 2021 or at worst be relegated with a substantial parachute payment. In either case, he would be in a better position to invest in the team for the 2022 season and then bring in a new coach. If relegated, this would put Leigh in a better position for promotion, with Toulouse or Featherstone  promoted. He was in a win-win situation.

He likes to be the centre of attention and play to the fans; and that is what his current move of threatening a legal challenge if Toulouse are promoted, is all about.

He has certainly tested the patience and loyalty of Leigh fans with this move and a disastrous season on the pitch; and left Duffy high and dry to carry the can. You watch for announcements of the appointment of a new coach and the signing of players for 2022, with a view to mounting a serious challenge for promotion to SL.

Yes, they were treated unfairly by SL by being given less central funding that other clubs, but Beaumont was fully aware of this when he took up the challenge. No sympathy whatsoever and my guess is that Beaumont does not want any sympathy either.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2021 9:50 am
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

We had this conversation before the season started. It was obvious what was going to happen so, no, they haven't been treated unfairly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2021 10:54 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

The rules were clear and it was a gamble - Degsy is a chancer and he took it, and lost!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2021 2:57 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

The rules were clear and it was a gamble – Degsy is a chancer and he took it, and lost!

I  reckon he actually won. He got £1.2m windfall on promotion and will get a parachute payment on relegation. How will that compare to the central funding that Widnes will receive in 2021 and 2022? He just won't win as much as he would have done had they managed to stay up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2021 6:10 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Was always going to happen given the circumstances of the lesser funding and the short notice.

Acid test is if given this season and his outburst in the programme whether Leigh will bounce straight back up or not.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2021 6:19 pm
widneslatic
(@widneslatic)
Reputable Member

Beaumont can't complain, everybody knew Leigh were only there to make up the numbers after the Toronto Fiasco.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2021 6:41 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Presumably they will stay FT if the Doc throws his hand in. If they don't it will be interesting just how many players stick.

Next year will be interesting on many fronts with so many clubs looking strong.  I just hope that if it turns out to be a good competition it won't be given to Sky as a freebie !

TV kills the gate and with strong teams a travelling support might re-emerge and swell the attendance. A good season with good gate receipts could re-generate the Championship.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2021 2:11 pm
 RB
(@rb)
Estimable Member

I tend not to knock people who stick their own money in.

Beaumont has and lots of it. He doesn't have to do it he could spend his money elsewhere.

He's made lots of mistakes and will continue to do so. It's the nature of the beast.

The other Super League Clubs were again tardy, gone on as long as I can remember. Leigh should have been given full funds. But Leigh did know the situation when they accepted the Super League place. IMO Leigh are much better off with Derek Beaumont than without him. As we know and Swinton know generous benefactors with deep pockets are hard to come by.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2021 10:58 am
Share: