Is Robson really th...

Notifications
Clear all

Is Robson really the answer?

Page 1 / 2
(@johnnyboy)
Reputable Member

Genuine question. Didn’t do much last time round - suppose it’s extra bodies but for me doesn’t bode well for our outlook in next few games...

Topic starter Posted : 22/04/2021 10:24 am
(@glynn)
Honorable Member

Widnes Vikings can announce the signing of Warrington Wolves second rower Ellis Robson on an initial two-week loan ahead of this Saturday’s Betfred Championship clash with Batley Bulldogs.

Robson will be a familiar face to Vikings supporters having featured for the club on dual-registration during both the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

The Warrington forward is a welcome addition to the Widnes back row ahead of the weekend’s trip to the Fox’s Biscuits Stadium, strengthening the options available to Simon Finnigan.

Ellis goes straight into contention for the 21-man squad for Saturday’s fixture, which will be announced at midday.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 10:30 am
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Think he’s a decent signing. Was alright back in 2019.

What’s the point in him being at Warrington if they’re just going to loan him out each season?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 10:35 am
 J.Mc
(@j-mc)
Eminent Member

The real answer to our problems is find a rich backer but that ain't gonna happen.

The boards 1st job is to keep us solvent so beggars can't be choosy, who knows...hopefully he may surprise us and be a welcome addition to a very thin squad

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 10:36 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

He may not be the answer, but he is available.If he tackles with venom and works hard it will be an improvement and show others how its done.

Plenty of advice from the terraces, but no alternative suggestions, you can only sign those who are available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 10:37 am
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member

Robson was good last time, 'didn't do much' is rubbish.  Remember him playing 80 mins against Toronto at home and being excellent.  Works hard which is very rare this year from our pack, hopefully he shows a few people up, I'd play him back row with Grady and move Lawton to the bench to exploit a tired defence later in the game, the defence on our right edge would improve significantly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 10:58 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Robson was good last time, ‘didn’t do much’ is rubbish. Remember him playing 80 mins against Toronto at home and being excellent. Works hard which is very rare this year from our pack, hopefully he shows a few people up, I’d play him back row with Grady and move Lawton to the bench to exploit a tired defence later in the game, the defence on our right edge would improve significantly.

Agreed. Robson is a great signing for Championship level.

Warrington re-signed him after he played well in a few Super League games last season. He's not the biggest which is probably why he struggles for game time under Price, but he's a workhorse, he's fit and he can play the full 80.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 11:23 am
(@scouseviking55)
Reputable Member

<p style="text-align: left;">I thought robson was really good for us last time out</p>

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 11:30 am
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Robson was as good if not better than any of our other forwards the last time he had a spell here on loan. Plays with aggression and commitment. No one would suggest he will singlehandedly turn us into contenders but he will definitely improve the side.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 11:30 am
(@a-cape)
Reputable Member

He is miles better than what we have.

Genuine question. Didn’t do much last time round – suppose it’s extra bodies but for me doesn’t bode well for our outlook in next few games…

He may not of done much last time around, but he’s miles better than what we have.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 11:49 am
(@brenjm)
Trusted Member

<p style="text-align: left;">Good signing!</p>
Will definitely shore up the defence.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 12:14 pm
(@widiot)
Reputable Member

Decent last time, not a bad addition.

but not a fan of these short term loans. Essentially Wire’s A Team now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 12:19 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Robson was good last time, ‘didn’t do much’ is rubbish. Remember him playing 80 mins against Toronto at home and being excellent. Works hard which is very rare this year from our pack, hopefully he shows a few people up, I’d play him back row with Grady and move Lawton to the bench to exploit a tired defence later in the game, the defence on our right edge would improve significantly.

Not a bad option re Lawton. He makes gro d if he drives it in but doesn't do it often enough. He could be great but he doesn't seem to like hitting it up often enough.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 12:38 pm
(@a-cape)
Reputable Member

Decent last time, not a bad addition. but not a fan of these short term loans. Essentially Wire’s A Team now.

I’m afraid that it’s a sign of the times, we’d better get used to it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 12:38 pm
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member

Not a bad option re Lawton. He makes gro d if he drives it in but doesn’t do it often enough. He could be great but he doesn’t seem to like hitting it up often enough.

Lawton gets decent reviews from the rare carries he makes, he's difficult to stop.  The issue is he doesn't do it more than enough.  His defence on the other hand isn't as good and his ability to push from the inside exposes his half back/centre/wing on numerous occasions.  I've posted before about our right edge being our weak spot.  Put Robson in and a lot of problems will be fixed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 2:34 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: