Notifications
Clear all

Football fans have more morals than Rugby League fans

(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

It is striking that in the wake of the “European Super League” been announced, football fans have been united in condemnation.

In comparison, RL a sport with very little commercial or financial value has toyed with the same concept, from licensing, to scraping relegation and even a breakaway “world league”. All these formats and proposals were never really shot down by RL fans and in fact, the world league was cheered on by many fans of Wigan and Leeds.

Is this proof  that rugby fans are just snobs?

Topic starter Posted : 20/04/2021 1:13 pm
 RB
(@rb)
Estimable Member

No its a reflection of the weakness of our game. Ditto Rugby Union's weakness. There are far more football clubs with the fanbase, player base and commercial base who can support professional sports teams and thus form a legitimate professional pyramid.

I of course support promotion and relegation but how many teams outside Super League could presently compete in Super League.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2021 2:54 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

No its a reflection of the weakness of our game. Ditto Rugby Union’s weakness. There are far more football clubs with the fanbase, player base and commercial base who can support professional sports teams and thus form a legitimate professional pyramid. I of course support promotion and relegation but how many teams outside Super League could presently compete in Super League.

But surely that is the whole point of the argument regarding the ESL, presently there about ten clubs maximum who have any chance at playing in the CL, 3 of those teams have never played in it. In Rugby, I would say there 3 or 4 clubs who could get promoted to SL and compete with the right circumstances.
The question of whether to compete or not compete, surely isn’t the question, the question is surely how we can protection our sporting culture while offering opportunities for clubs currently at the bottom of the pyramid.

Rugby  League fans mainly turn their backs on the plight Cumbrian clubs or Manchester clubs, as they believe the game is better served by engaging with foreign teams who can support the game with these mythical and nonsensical tv deals.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/04/2021 3:36 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Bit too young to remember, but I'm sure that there were protests against the mergers proposed for SL.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2021 5:46 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Bit too young to remember, but I’m sure that there were protests against the mergers proposed for SL.

That was different,about mergers.The wider RL 'community' never gave a rat's arse about clubs missing out on Super League.If you were a fan of a club that was included, great.If not then tough sh!t.Rugby League family my ars.The game hasn't been the same since, for me.And that's not spitting the dummy because we missed the boat.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2021 7:33 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Furthermore, the football clubs expect to participate in both the Premiership and Super League.I'd tell them to choose one or the other.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2021 7:44 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Bit too young to remember, but I’m sure that there were protests against the mergers proposed for SL.

That was different,about mergers.The wider RL ‘community’ never gave a rat’s arse about clubs missing out on Super League.If you were a fan of a club that was included, great.If not then tough sh!t.Rugby League family my ars.The game hasn’t been the same since, for me.And that’s not spitting the dummy because we missed the boat.

Exactly my point,I remember the Wigan forum all been full on for the “world league” they didn’t care about clubs like Widnes dying.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/04/2021 7:57 pm
widneslatic
(@widneslatic)
Reputable Member

The trouble with RL fans in general is they don't like to rock the boat.

Wigan, Leeds, Saints & Wire have got the rest of the game by the gonads, and people are happy to mutter under their breath and carry on, rather than going ballistic with rage.

And then they whinge that the game is going down the toilet... 🙈

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2021 10:35 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

No its a reflection of the weakness of our game. Ditto Rugby Union’s weakness. There are far more football clubs with the fanbase, player base and commercial base who can support professional sports teams and thus form a legitimate professional pyramid. I of course support promotion and relegation but how many teams outside Super League could presently compete in Super League.

I think there are plenty of teams outside Super League who could compete if they were afforded the same benefits (ie. equal central funding) as those that are within - take out (say) Leigh, Salford and Wakefield and replace with any three of Bradford, Featherstone, Halifax, London, Newcastle, Toulouse, Widnes, York would anyone notice?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2021 10:54 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

I think there are plenty of teams outside Super League who could compete if they were afforded the same benefits (ie. equal central funding) as those that are within – take out (say) Leigh, Salford and Wakefield and replace with any three of Bradford, Featherstone, Halifax, London, Newcastle, Toulouse, Widnes, York would anyone notice?

Couldn't agree more that there are a group of very similar clubs and that those in that group currently in SL are not necessarily bigger or better than those who are on the outside. What would have happened to Salford if O'Brien hadn't had kicked that drop goal for example?

Think Toulouse would be the exception in the sense they would be a point of difference to the rest.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2021 1:59 pm
Share: