Notifications
Clear all

covid scrums

(@glynn)
Honorable Member

i thought we might have got rid of the waste of time rl scrum, but watching the nrl yesterday i see they are back. cant we just get rid of them i havnt missed them 1 bit during the covid ouitbreak.

Topic starter Posted : 19/09/2021 1:59 pm
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

100% agree. Better off without them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2021 7:28 am
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Like some on here I played when there were contested scrums, but I thought even then they only served to tire out forwards and offer an excellent opportunity for a punch up!!

The game today is much better (to watch) and quicker without contested or uncontested scrums.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2021 8:48 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Keep 'em on the history page for me!

Not missed one bit by yours truly!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2021 10:23 am
(@markw)
Eminent Member

Yeah, got to agree.  I used to be a supporter of scrums, thinking you can put on moves and stuff, but whilst that's true they only work once or twice until defences learn to sort it and it just slows the game down.  And often the 'moves' turn out to include illegal tactics that the ref misses first time but then you can't get away with again!   However, I do feel strongly that we need to be playing the same game across the world with the same laws.  No idea how we achieve that with all the politics and egos involved on both sides of the world, but if keeping scrums is a compromise towards that then I'd not be massively annoyed.   Still, will probably never happen and we'll end up maintaining this stupid situation of different laws ad infinitum.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2021 10:53 am
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

I don’t mind there being no scrums , but not sure wether I like the 6 again rule rather than penalties. I know it’s supposed to quicken the game, but teams often offend and slow the game down on the first or second tackle , when it doesn’t really matter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2021 6:45 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

At what point does Rugby League actually stop being Rugby League ? Scrums have been a joke for about 20 years but I think that there should have an attempt at restoring the original idea of a contest for the ball.

Not having a go or grumbling - just curious about the mutation of the game from individual skills for each position to homogenous athleticism. Seems we are getting rid of what can’t be coached….

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2021 11:53 pm
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

The demise of the scrum in RL isn't a recent thing though is it? It's been largely useless ever since I've watched. In that time, it's always been a mechanism for putting the ball back into play, not a genuine contest for possession.

It's even worse now hence why I think we may as well get rid altogether.  There are backs in the scrum, the forward line is in the 3/4s, the ball is fed to the loose, the 'stand-off'/back-rower charges into the opposition, start again. Absolutely pointless.

We could make scrums proper again. Pick proper hookers, enforce the ball be fed properly, take the time to get it right. However, I doubt the players would want that, most fans certainly wouldn't.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2021 6:40 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

The demise of the scrum in RL isn’t a recent thing though is it? It’s been largely useless ever since I’ve watched. In that time, it’s always been a mechanism for putting the ball back into play, not a genuine contest for possession. It’s even worse now hence why I think we may as well get rid altogether. There are backs in the scrum, the forward line is in the 3/4s, the ball is fed to the loose, the ‘stand-off’/back-rower charges into the opposition, start again. Absolutely pointless. We could make scrums proper again. Pick proper hookers, enforce the ball be fed properly, take the time to get it right. However, I doubt the players would want that, most fans certainly wouldn’t.

fair points, I had a little fit of nostalgia 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2021 11:13 am
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

The demise of the scrum in RL isn’t a recent thing though is it? It’s been largely useless ever since I’ve watched. In that time, it’s always been a mechanism for putting the ball back into play, not a genuine contest for possession. It’s even worse now hence why I think we may as well get rid altogether. There are backs in the scrum, the forward line is in the 3/4s, the ball is fed to the loose, the ‘stand-off’/back-rower charges into the opposition, start again. Absolutely pointless. We could make scrums proper again. Pick proper hookers, enforce the ball be fed properly, take the time to get it right. However, I doubt the players would want that, most fans certainly wouldn’t.

fair points, I had a little fit of nostalgia 😉

🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2021 12:13 pm
Share: