Beginning a stateme...

Notifications
Clear all

Beginning a statement with the word "So"

Page 1 / 2
(@carpet-crawler)
Trusted Member

Has anybody else noticed people now starting a statement by saying the word "so" at the start ? Unbelievably annoying. As if lockdown wasn't bad enough. It's got to be there with "Co-worker"(do you mean colleague ?), go-to guy(do you mean the bloke that can sort it out ?), new season(do you mean new series ?), standing in line(queue), staycation(do you mean a UK holiday ? So annoying)etc etc.

Topic starter Posted : 26/04/2020 6:52 pm
(@rafe-wrench)
Trusted Member

I'm loving the touch of irony at the start of your last sentence, Crawlie😁

Even more annoying is when people of the M25 say it ('Sewww') and worse still is that cod-Neighbours accent mainly London girls use ("Oh, I knuuuy!!").

Even I've fallen into phrasing statements as if they were, like, questions?

Silly. We'll grow out if it.😊

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 8:49 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

As politicians (annoyingly) say CC, you’ve very clearly made your point!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2020 9:56 am
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

Has anybody else noticed people now starting a statement by saying the word “so” at the start ? Unbelievably annoying. As if lockdown wasn’t bad enough. It’s got to be there with “Co-worker”(do you mean colleague ?), go-to guy(do you mean the bloke that can sort it out ?), new season(do you mean new series ?), standing in line(queue), staycation(do you mean a UK holiday ? So annoying)etc etc.

Chillax my friend.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2020 6:56 pm
(@torn-sock-1)
Estimable Member

Has anybody else noticed people now starting a statement by saying the word “so” at the start ? Unbelievably annoying. As if lockdown wasn’t bad enough. It’s got to be there with “Co-worker”(do you mean colleague ?), go-to guy(do you mean the bloke that can sort it out ?), new season(do you mean new series ?), standing in line(queue), staycation(do you mean a UK holiday ? So annoying)etc etc.

So, I'm just glad someone has got the world's priorities in the right order....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 9:39 pm
 vet
(@vet)

American'ism been creeping in our language for years and most iritating  " like "

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 5:44 pm
(@anotherposter)
Reputable Member

Nothing and i mean nothing comes remotely close to "my bad"

your bad what ? your bad back , bad haircut , bad manners or fu**ing bad americanisms

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2020 8:31 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

How about the nonsensical term "get-go". Another Americanism used in management speak. Why not just say from the beginning, which we can all understand?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2020 7:51 am
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Frank, I think the point of using such silly expressions and jargon is to show that the person uttering them are not like other mortals.

If everyone could understand things, then there would be no need for “experts”.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2020 9:39 am
(@rafe-wrench)
Trusted Member

Where we start an answer with "Well...", how do the Aussies get to "Aw look..."??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2020 7:56 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Where we start an answer with “Well…”, how do the Aussies get to “Aw look…”??

You missed out 'mate!' after 'Aw Look'.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2020 8:27 pm
(@wanderer)
Eminent Member

I'd like to call out people who 'call people out' it really gets my goat haha

and people who do haha too!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2020 10:17 am
(@wanderer)
Eminent Member

and commentators in any sport who decribe a shot  a goal a try a jump or whatever as a 'worldie' FFS give me strength

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 8:44 am
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Politicians again, who usually begin to avoid a question by saying ”...the important point is ...”

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2020 7:42 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

'Can I GET a........"

W@nk3rs ordering a coffee in Costa/Starbucks/Caffe Nero etc, use this. It was always "Can I have a Nescafe, please" when ordering.

Which is correct, I'm confused.com

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2020 11:02 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: