Notifications
Clear all

Season 2021

Page 7 / 7
(@the-vicar)
Estimable Member

I'd sayToulouse London Featherstone and York are looking stronger than us at this point . Is having the  5th best squad in the second flight of RL the height of our expectations .

The Vicar

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2021 11:19 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

I’d sayToulouse London Featherstone and York are looking stronger than us at this point . Is having the 5th best squad in the second flight of RL the height of our expectations . The Vicar

Realistically - top 5 or 6, optimistically with a bit of luck - top 3.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2021 11:28 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Injuries will be key. We can put out a first 17 that will beat most sides and be at least competitive against the top ones but beyond that we have little/no experienced cover in many positions. Half a dozen injuries and we could struggle. Obviously there is still time to add to the squad. Hoping to see a second hooker and another forward added.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2021 9:35 am
(@sandgroper)
Famed Member

Injuries will be key. We can put out a first 17 that will beat most sides and be at least competitive against the top ones but beyond that we have little/no experienced cover in many positions. Half a dozen injuries and we could struggle. Obviously there is still time to add to the squad. Hoping to see a second hooker and another forward added.

I would say that fitness and condition are your only answer to injuries. Good conditioning and real physical toughness can keep you on the field. Of course ligament and joint injuries are things that you can't really do much about, other than the League telling refs to call 'held' and stop the wrestling when players studs are anchoring his feet. That is when the knee and ankle joints, in particular, are damaged. Much will depend on how our team has 'gelled'. I'm hoping that the chance to play good open rugby will give them a buzz again and show us what they really can do!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2021 11:00 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Assuming that the season will start in March/April and be completed, I reckon a top 6 position is the minimum that we should be aiming for. Maybe a few more signings or loan deals will improve our chances and a bit of good luck with injuries. Hopefully, one or two of the young players brought into the squad from the Academy will shine and we will be fighting to keep hold of them this time next year!!

Will Toulouse be able to travel for games in the UK and teams travel to France? Possibly without crowds for part of the season, how many clubs will struggle to survive the season?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2021 12:50 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

I’d sayToulouse London Featherstone and York are looking stronger than us at this point . Is having the 5th best squad in the second flight of RL the height of our expectations . The Vicar

Our 1-6-7-9 is streets ahead of York's, who seem to have gained a lot of praise from signing a load of mid-30 Super League forwards and outside backs. They lost 4 out of 4 last season before COVID.

Featherstone look quite a way ahead of most. Not sure how Toulouse are going to manage the travelling aspect (that seems to be the elephant in the room).

London have lost Dixon, Battye, Butler, Smith, Pelissier, but have signed relatively well. I'm not sure how many of their 1-13 get in to our best team though - Curran? Hankinson? Other than that, think we've got superior options.

Be interesting to see how Bradford do with Brough leading a relatively young team around.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2021 2:28 pm
(@sandgroper)
Famed Member

With you regarding Brough! I can remember Ford doing the business for Oldham (?).

He never got caught with the ball!!!!!! If we can up the pace and swing the ball about we have ball players to do the business, if the refs keep the game moving.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2021 3:21 pm
Page 7 / 7
Share: